SB Edelbrock knock off heads?

Posted By: cdstl

SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/23/16 11:41 PM

What do you guys know about these heads

Heads

The part number kind of spells chinese CHZCHSB
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/23/16 11:51 PM

I think made by same guy that makes sidewinders--Nice quality--good real bronze guides--good quality seats and seat fit--nice Eddy knock off --excellent quality--lots less than Eddys when bought at right place--bout time....You can buy equal quality Chevy head for $500 a pair range so..again we get it in the shorts because we are Mopar 16 guides and seats cost same--aluminum cost same--machine work same--shipping same etc so a pattern box that takes a couple weeks--little trial and error then good to go from now on...
Posted By: justinp61

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 12:56 AM

Why would reward someone for copying someone's work?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 01:04 AM

I don`t know anything about them but anything China throws up a red flag for me. Not saving that much money. I would go with Edelbrocks if it were me but do what you want.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 01:18 AM

So you buy Lays chips or store brand that are way less than half price of Lays
Come on No way to build a non china part Mopar car-- Those heads are cheaper than that Egay ad at other places and Eddys have just gone up and up and up
and even they have imported valves , springs etc I would think and I have used a truck load of Sidewinders and NEVER had to hone a tight guide like good ole USA Eddys--
Little too late to start the Buy USA deal again--impossible now to source everything you want from US made--ain't happening
We did not do this--it was Done to us!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By crabman173
Come on No way to build a non china part Mopar car-- Those heads are cheaper than that Egay ad at other places and Eddys have just gone up and up and up
and even they have imported valves , springs etc I would think and I have used a truck load of Sidewinders and NEVER had to hone a tight guide like good ole USA Eddys--
Little too late to start the Buy USA deal again--impossible now to source everything you want from US made--ain't happening
10-4 on all that. up
Posted By: Porter67

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 02:23 AM

Ive been running them ported on a race block for some time with no issues.

Im sorry they are not made here but neither is alot of the stoker kit parts we use but no one will pay 2k more for a rot. assembly because its fully usa made.

Sorry for the Edit, they are decent castings....But on this site you would need a signed parchment from god to convince anyone.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 02:50 AM

Are they better than the Procomp heads? If so I may grab a set.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 03:04 AM

Sure am glad I buy American if at all possible..
from the sounds of it here the American companies
might as well close their doors and let China do
the engineering... oh wait.. they dont engineer
anything... they just steal from other companies
and make it
wave
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 03:10 AM

And we wonder why no one wants to make the investment to make new blocks, heads and decent parts. Why would they want to create something, have the Chinese steal and copy it and watch people line up to buy the junk to save a few dollars?

I'm surprised Edelbrock, MSD, Holley, and a few others haven't thrown in the towel in frustration.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Are they better than the Procomp heads? If so I may grab a set.

YES!
Pro comp even gives China crap a bad name--they have sold a million SBC heads though--the guides are yellow but they are not bronze--Worst stuff in the world period but...the guy that makes these is a real business man and hard working guy--he has a clean modern factory and cares--If I had to guess he has put everything he owns on the line --taking a chance--making a good product and going for it! Now that--is chasing the dream and anyone who runs that route is OK on my list

These really are well cast, quality aluminum, quality bronze guides, seats and seat fit to head is first rate--you will like them --Think Sidewinder small block head
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 05:31 AM

I have ported a bunch of holley intakes that say China on the bottom. Just saying

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 05:34 AM

Can this head be used on a magnum motor?
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
And we wonder why no one wants to make the investment to make new blocks, heads and decent parts. Why would they want to create something, have the Chinese steal and copy it and watch people line up to buy the junk to save a few dollars?

I'm surprised Edelbrock, MSD, Holley, and a few others haven't thrown in the towel in frustration.
Don't look now, but MSD has thrown in the towel. They filed for Bankruptcy and sold out to Holley.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 02:30 PM

MSD went bankrupt several years ago. A holding company MSDP bought it. MSDP bought Accel group end of 2014. End of 2015 Holley Product bought MSDP.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 04:40 PM

If these sb heads are made by the same guys that make the Sidewinder heads, I wouldn't be afraid to use them.

Does Todd Marsh offer them?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By crabman173

Gee I wonder where my w9's were made. I wonder where my r1a block was made. I wonder where my Carrillo rods were made. How about the diamond pistons? Maybe my Del west valves? How about my Mopar 420 intake? Oh that's right you can't build a Mopar without China crap, I think not. You just have to look around and you can find plenty of company's that make what you need.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 06:02 PM

Brad, sell me your engine for 10k and Ill put it in the van and take it to drag week. You can be my co pilot.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 09:34 PM

Not enough of a discount to me, I would rather buy the edelbrok head in my opinion.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
I have ported a bunch of holley intakes that say China on the bottom. Just saying

And I have "fixed" a bunch of China`s finest carbs..........

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/24/16 10:44 PM

It was their choice to have it cast there.. the
intake wasnt stolen and copied
wave

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 03/25/16 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

wave

I get that but if you think that just because your buying from an american company doesnt mean your buying american made parts. I dont get wrapped up in this because my job relies on trade and it has slowed down alot since last August.

I buy radiator fans off ebay for $15. Sure I could spend hundreds probably for the exact same parts the claim theyre an american company. I bought a pinto rack for $100 that was made in italy. Where are the $300 flaming river racks made?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 12:03 AM

They should change their name to "Flaming Thiever"....
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 01:42 AM

Brad, sell me your engine for 10k and Ill put it in the van and take it to drag week. You can be my co pilot.

Sounds good, let's go!!!
Posted By: can.al

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 05:36 PM

so are pro comp,pro max,sidewinder,speedmaster and all the small shops buying the knock-off castings and assembling them for resale?
as for the off shore products,it's just a natural evolution of economy.The same reason everyone shops Walmart instead of the small stores any more.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By can.al
so are pro comp,pro max,sidewinder,speedmaster and all the small shops buying the knock-off castings and assembling them for resale?
as for the off shore products,it's just a natural evolution of economy.The same reason everyone shops Walmart instead of the small stores any more.

I don't shop WalMart and I don't buy no-name Chinese parts. European, Canadian, Japanese, even Taiwanese in a pinch. But not ChiCom stuff. Sometimes it's unavoidable, like the Holley intake that Holley has cast there. Some of it is just the result of EPA, OSHA, etc. etc. chasing manufacturing off shore. It's becoming more difficult all the time, but I read labels and avoid it whenever possible. The fact that someone made 2000 horsepower with a $300 set of no name cylinder heads and they were on the car for 10 years is irrelevant to me.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 06:13 PM

Yes, except pro comp...those are their own and notoriously bad.

If you can think of a catchy name and want to sell your own here you go:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Small-block-mopar-cylinder-head_60304867500.html

for the BB

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-Developed-Cylinder-Head-for-Chrysler_1729137645.html
Posted By: dogdays

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 06:20 PM

ProComp IS Speedmaster, it's not a secret. They announced the name change some time back.

It appears that there are more than one Chinese manufacturers of Mopar heads. The guy who is doing the Sidewinder heads actually posted on here.

R.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister

I don't shop WalMart and I don't buy no-name Chinese parts. European, Canadian, Japanese, even Taiwanese in a pinch. But not ChiCom stuff. Sometimes it's unavoidable, like the Holley intake that Holley has cast there. Some of it is just the result of EPA, OSHA, etc. etc. chasing manufacturing off shore. It's becoming more difficult all the time, but I read labels and avoid it whenever possible. The fact that someone made 2000 horsepower with a $300 set of no name cylinder heads and they were on the car for 10 years is irrelevant to me.

Same here... the wife and I dont shop Walmart.. period
wave
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 07:11 PM

So I guess you guys won't buy a Dodge Challenger cause it's made in Brampton Ontario.. don't be a hypocrite now.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By Ice~Eagle
So I guess you guys won't buy a Dodge Challenger cause it's made in Brampton Ontario.. don't be a hypocrite now.

I have never owned one... dont plan on it either..
but I have no issue buying Canadian products if they
are made there
wave
Posted By: Discoquik

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 07:33 PM

wave

I get that but if you think that just because your buying from an american company doesnt mean your buying american made parts. I dont get wrapped up in this because my job relies on trade and it has slowed down alot since last August.

I buy radiator fans off ebay for $15. Sure I could spend hundreds probably for the exact same parts the claim theyre an american company. I bought a pinto rack for $100 that was made in italy. Where are the $300 flaming river racks made?

Flaming River stuff is all made here in Cleveland in their shop, just like we make Wiseco and JE Forgings among other forgings for the industry here in Cleveland. 95% of the wrist pins in yours and my engines are not made on American soil. I wouldn't be so quick to judge, there has been vast improvements in QUALITY made parts over the years on overseas products, like American made products, you get what you pay for. You would be surprised to know were your American made cranks start life..........

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By Discoquik

wave

Flaming River stuff is all made here in Cleveland in their shop, just like we make Wiseco and JE Forgings among other forgings for the industry here in Cleveland. 95% of the wrist pins in yours and my engines are not made on American soil. I wouldn't be so quick to judge, there has been vast improvements in QUALITY made parts over the years on overseas products, like American made products, you get what you pay for. You would be surprised to know were your American made cranks start life..........

I research where stuff comes from.. and I know that
most casting work is done overseas.. but I can and do
buy where I want to... its my money and I do try to
keep American jobs here if I can
wave
Posted By: can.al

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/01/16 07:56 PM

I see Vans Auto selling these.,anybody know who assemble their heads?
Posted By: tubtar

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/02/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By Ice~Eagle

I can't decide if this statement is apples to rutabagas , or just plain retarded.
Is it your Canadian insecurity popping up , or do you not understand the point of this ?
I fully understand that we were sold the rope at bargain prices and are now gakking for lack of oxygen because of our shortsightedness.
And also feel that those decisions were made a pay grade or ten above my peers , but that doesn't mean we have to be complicit.
I buy quality , and for what I have done none of it was available from China.
Even if it were , I would support domestic manufacturers on principal.
Posted By: LA360

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 01:34 AM

That's about the size of it really.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By tubtar

I can't decide if this statement is apples to rutabagas , or just plain retarded.

Retarded? Listen buddy.. if Wal-Mart & all it's Chinese products ever decided to close up shop in America it would a year of National Mourning for you guys. Posting from a comp? Phone? Check to see where it's made. Throw em out. Almost everything you own is in some way connected to that part of the world. Throw it all out on "principle".

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 03:37 AM

There used to be a time where you had the choice of quality or junk, depending on what you needed and wanted to spend. I'm OK with that. Often times now though, the only option is cheap junk designed to last about 3 minutes longer than the warranty or stuff made by companies trying to see which one can make it the cheapest. Everybody is in a race to the bottom. "Good enough, barely" has replaced "the best it can be".

I have American made shop tools I bought 20 or 30 years ago, still work great, still used everyday. Stuff they sell now blow up in 6 months, go in the trash and get replaced.
Posted By: Eggman

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 01:53 PM

I bought a set of these from Vans.took them to my machine shop and they gave them a clean bill of health.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 03:03 PM

I understand loyalty to our nation. It gets confusing when there is someone who only buys Ford, Chevy or Holley and have pledged their allegiance to these American companies but they have ZERO issues with these USA companies SOURCING OUT WORK TO AN OVERSEAS PART OF THE GLOBE. If someone is a buy ONLY AMERICAN person they should have stood up and protested GM Ford GE RCA Troy Built ect ect ect years even decades ago the instant those companies decided to have components,sub assemblies and entire complete products made in China. If you dont like things made outside the USA you should not lecture moparts members- you should protest/boycott the American MFGR of choice and demand they be 100% made here. Where is the line drawn? "My Ford is 80% made in the USA and your Chevy is 79% made in the USA so I am the better American by 1%..." The big 3 auto makers partnered up with a Japanese mfgr way back in the 1970s. People share disadain for Toyata and praise for GM when GM has been relying on Japanese tech, labor and parts for decades but yet someone who buys a Honda or Nissan is wrong.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
I understand loyalty to our nation. It gets confusing when there is someone who only buys Ford, Chevy or Holley and have pledged their allegiance to these American companies but they have ZERO issues with these USA companies SOURCING OUT WORK TO AN OVERSEAS PART OF THE GLOBE. If someone is a buy ONLY AMERICAN person they should have stood up and protested GM Ford GE RCA Troy Built ect ect ect years even decades ago the instant those companies decided to have components,sub assemblies and entire complete products made in China. If you dont like things made outside the USA you should not lecture moparts members- you should protest/boycott the American MFGR of choice and demand they be 100% made here. Where is the line drawn? "My Ford is 80% made in the USA and your Chevy is 79% made in the USA so I am the better American by 1%..." The big 3 auto makers partnered up with a Japanese mfgr way back in the 1970s. People share disadain for Toyata and praise for GM when GM has been relying on Japanese tech, labor and parts for decades but yet someone who buys a Honda or Nissan is wrong.

You dont get the part of STEALING.. a overseas company buys
1 head and makes it their own. as for a company that sends
their work overseas thats up to them and I dont have to buy
it either(I havent bought a Holley manifold in 20 years)..
I still buy Chrysler because I worked there 35 years and they
pay my bills so I still have loyalty to them.. even if I couldnt
stand the company at times... but this started with the stealing
part
wave
Posted By: justinp61

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 04:10 PM

1 head and makes it their own
. as for a company that sends
part
wave

At least someone else get it.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 04:26 PM

part

I stand corrected- Intellectual theft is bad. I should have made that clear in my post. China is the biggest offender of that.
I do stand by my other points. "Jim bashes Bills Suzuki because its not American made when Jims old Harley from the factory has a Keihin carburetor, Kayaba forks and a Hitachi or Nippendenso starter." Not a slam against Harley- just an example.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 05:13 PM

part

I stand corrected- Intellectual theft is bad. I should have made that clear in my post. China is the biggest offender of that.
I do stand by my other points. "Jim bashes Bills Suzuki because its not American made when Jims old Harley from the factory has a Keihin carburetor, Kayaba forks and a Hitachi or Nippendenso starter." Not a slam against Harley- just an example.

As I said already... if a company buys off shore parts for their
company then its up to the person thats buying said product
if it matters to them... its like Rambler use to be.. they
used everyone elses parts to build a car.. as to a lot of the
American companies.. they fell way behind and the off shore
companies that were starting up started with new technology
like injection and alts
wave

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 06:14 PM

part
wave

True. That is especially egregious. The Chinese are not the only ones guilty of this. There are a number of instances of American based companies doing this. Reverse engineering someone else's product, producing a copy and putting their name on it with little engineering costs or credit (re: money) for the developer. Without naming names, cylinder heads, intakes, and transbrakes are a few items that come to mind.
Sometimes we see something new, different or unique that is a great idea. Somebody years ago was the first to incorporate an anti-roll device in a modern 4-link suspension. Now it's standard equipment. Improving existing designs is how technology moves forward. Making a cheap, inferior copy of someone's product in order to profit from their reputation and expertise is unethical.

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/03/16 07:16 PM

"You don't get the part of STEALING.. a overseas company buys
1 head and makes it their own"

Isn't that basically what Edelbrock did from day one? I think that's exactly what they did.

But you're right, don't like it.. don't buy it.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/04/16 03:31 AM

Nearly everything is based off something else. Lets face it, an alum smallblock Mopar head, is an alum smallblock Mopar head. There may be slight variations or better quality castings and machine work, but it is what it is. Maybe the ones in question are a direct copy of an Edelbrock, maybe their not. You would need to digitize it to know. But where did Vic himself get the idea, he sure didn't engineer it from scratch. If it's an EXACT copy of a factory head, except in aluminum, I guess we could say Vic "stole" the design and cast it in alum

As far as buying American, that's great, but if you ONLY buy American, you don't own a TV, a cell phone or basically ANY electronics or home appliances and many other things
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/04/16 04:37 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Chrysler-Aluminum-Wedge-Cylinder/dp/B019EFEAW0

$450 each plus 5 dollars shipping

needs valve springs according to ad.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/05/16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By 70AARcuda
http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Chrysler-Aluminum-Wedge-Cylinder/dp/B019EFEAW0

$450 each plus 5 dollars shipping

needs valve springs according to ad.

Same company, Van's Auto
Posted By: Crizila

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/05/16 04:04 PM

Welcome to global economy! Way too late to worry about where it's made - and there is not much linkage any more between quality and where it is made. Your next set of heads will probably say "made in Cuba".
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: SB Edelbrock knock off heads? - 04/05/16 04:59 PM

I saw a flyer on Facebook for BPE's new small block offering. Looked nice, offering a CNC offset and non offset small block head.
© 2024 Moparts Forums