Moparts

Finally got my 8 sec slip

Posted By: WHITEDART

Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 02:03 AM

My smallblock w8 pump gas motor finally gave me 8 second times slip.was jumping 4 joy. I was racing at Fontana. Which is not known for being fast.

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-02-27-15-50-51.png

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 02:05 AM

Here a look at the air

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-02-27-14-15-01-1.png
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 02:07 AM

Congrats! Did you win your match race against the Ferd?

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 02:14 AM

He was a no show.but I got number now
Posted By: meus31

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:04 AM

Pump gas motor ? Wow nice , how heavy ?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:10 AM

Congrats, Shiloh

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:27 AM

3080 lb power glide with the set of Brett Miller baby 8s

Attached picture Screenshot_2015-12-13-17-52-37-1.png
Posted By: meus31

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:34 AM

Wicked , love it !!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:49 AM

That's flying, especially in that air! Congrats!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:56 AM

That DA s up there,on a bad day our DA might be 1400 smirk

Congratz on the 8!!!!
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:00 AM

Congrats. Nice run.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:03 AM

That is about par DA for my local tracks actual altitude. That is HAULIN! Fontana must also take track prep pretty damn seriously, my track does not. You must be finding the mojo with those shocks!
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:09 AM

Way to go I know you have been working hard at this car.

I cleaned up slip for you😜
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:22 AM

Congratulations! boogie
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:29 AM

That was good news, I am glad the car got it's 1st 8 second time slip. Wish I could have been there.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:30 AM

That's an awesome 1/8 mile time...:) and props on the 8sec also.
Damn 5.60s is hauling...is this with a tunnel ram or just a single cast intake ?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 05:17 AM

WAY 2 GO!!! especially at that track. You go up the road to Famoso before it gets too hot and you will make a memory of that time slip! well.... that was fun.... NOW WHAT!?! laugh2

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 05:19 AM

Home ported cast 420intake. This is Thursdays nights 1/8 mile time slip.little better track

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-02-27-15-34-44.png
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:25 AM

Good going on the entry to the 8-ball club.
Congrats.
Are you up to safety standards since this new phase brings the microscopes closer?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:26 AM

HELL YA................... punkrocka penguin beer That`s a great achievement man good for you............... bow
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:40 AM

Congrats, nice passes you have been making.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:45 AM

Nice work.....
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:53 AM

Congrats
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 07:00 AM

A big congrats to you...that is a milestone. good job.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By ProSport
Not to take anything from that run.......but that's really good air. More to it than the DA. The barometer was good and humidity really low. That's GOOD air.

Outstanding run either way
Posted By: Ian

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
My smallblock w8 pump gas motor finally gave me 8 second times slip.was jumping 4 joy. I was racing at Fontana. Which is not known for being fast.
well done mate ,that is a great pass and well deserved cheers
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 02:13 PM

Very nice congrats
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 03:22 PM

congrats!
Posted By: mcduff

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:10 PM

Congrats!....nice looking car as well!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:10 PM

Congratulations. VERY nice. I like Monte like the looks of that air too.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:14 PM

Congrats!!! Awesome car.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 04:32 PM

Good job.

The air was good. Nothing to excuse your good ET though. Not like a dry 600' da.

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Good going on the entry to the 8-ball club.
Congrats.
Are you up to safety standards since this new phase brings the microscopes closer?
yes all up to code. now all I need to do is get her on a diet. i would love to trip scale the at 2800lb with driver sawzall

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By ProSport
Not to take anything from that run.......but that's really good air. More to it than the DA. The barometer was good and humidity really low. That's GOOD air.

Outstanding run either way
you are right for Fontana this is pretty good air. its is pretty common two see well over 4000 ft. but with my N/A Motor IT could have better. hoping to get up to Bakersfleid . which will be at least a tenth or 2 better..

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 05:27 PM

Look at every little thing in that car. I'm sure that there is a few pounds of lard that can be trimmed off.
Though taking weight off in crucial areas at this point may disrupt the package if things have to be removed and replaced that take up time, I would look at things that can be removed at a moments notice and replaced quickly.
It's at good manageable weight now though.

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 05:28 PM

What elevation you at?
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:09 PM

Congrats, that is movin' in a pump gas SB.

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
What elevation you at?

http://airdensityonline.com/tracks/
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:38 PM

That is really impressive on pump gas. Congrats!
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 06:39 PM

Very nice, keep it up.

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 07:18 PM

Not sure what elevation Fontana actually is. If I had to guess 1500- 2500 feet. And according to the GPS from the starting line to the finish line its up hill about 4 feet..
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 07:27 PM

Congrats, good looking car
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 07:59 PM

Congrats on the new best. Always nice to see a new milestone. Good ET for the MPH as well. Knock out some weight and com NA 10.5 racing with us. A couple of the cars that run with us are high 8 second cars. While they are a second off the rest of us it is a fun class and you can hit the tree ya never know.

As for Fontana it's a weird place. We never run well there compared to what the conditions show. We actually run not far off those numbers here in Vegas in the fall and early spring but the DA here is much higher and we have no Barometer here, usually 27.8+-. Always been a strange place to race for sure. Cars just don't run LIKE they should down there. FWIW a 28.86 barometer aint exactly mineshaft conditions.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Congrats on the new best. Always nice to see a new milestone. Good ET for the MPH as well. Knock out some weight and com NA 10.5 racing with us. A couple of the cars that run with us are high 8 second cars. While they are a second off the rest of us it is a fun class and you can hit the tree ya never know.

As for Fontana it's a weird place. We never run well there compared to what the conditions show. We actually run not far off those numbers here in Vegas in the fall and early spring but the DA here is much higher and we have no Barometer here, usually 27.8+-. Always been a strange place to race for sure. Cars just don't run LIKE they should down there. FWIW a 28.86 barometer aint exactly mineshaft conditions.

Agree and I hate the track myself but it`s all we got and those ARE NOT good conditions but it`s what we live with........
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 09:30 PM

Quote:
FWIW a 28.86 barometer aint exactly mineshaft conditions.

I'm a spoiled east coast racer. That baro pressure would be pretty weak at many of the tracks here. The only thing that looked "good" to me about the air was the low humidity.

The performance out of that car at that DA seems real good to me...... Congrats!!

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire

this was a lights out grudge race so I think I scrubbed one or two mph at the end.. but it won't come close to you guys.At my CID I think I would have 2750.my math 8.60's well short of you big dogs
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 10:47 PM

Congrats! beer Nice run!

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/28/16 10:47 PM

I don't care were you raced at that's a great run. I gotta climb in my car trailer to grab my old weather station and run those numbers. The correction just look a little funky compared to mine. I just bought a new one last week so the could keep an eye on moisture closer. It bit me a couple of times on alcohol
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 01:43 AM

Great job Shiloh! my car will never run that well.

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By Darryls-Demon
Great job Shiloh! my car will never run that well.
nice to here from you Darryl. ... Al want me to come race with you guys in N/A 10-5. I'm think I need a certain lightweight aluminum piece. Keep me in mind
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 02:07 AM

Shiloh don't let any of that get in your way. It is a great group of guys and we are almost all willing to help a fellow competitor. 2750 is way lighter than we are. Keep whittling away at those short times and can get there. Really should give it a try some good engine and chassis guys there willing to help.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 03:23 AM

As Al says, there is a tenth or more left in your 60ft. So you have a solid 8.80 car, maybe quicker once you get the chassis sorted
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 03:32 AM

Did you make any changes before that race? I know we talked about a few things, just curious...congrats on the 8 sec. club!!

Brian

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 03:52 AM

Never could get the chassis working well enough to leave on the trans brake.so I was on the foot brake. This thing is fighting me like crazy. The wheelie bars and leaf springs are not playing well for me.. the short times were much better without the wheelie bars... but it was only a matter of time before I found myself in big trouble...
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 04:35 AM

Congrats on a stellar lap!
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 06:07 AM

That is flying, Congrats. :-}

But what is a set of Brett Miller baby 8,s

Also agree that the DA isn't great compared to around here. Witch makes your run even more impressive.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 06:27 AM

Well Done !

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440

Also agree that the DA isn't great compared to around here. Witch makes your run even more impressive.
my W8 were an odd ball set. I was not 100% on what they were originally built 4.but when I got them they were set up with a fresh set of titanium 2.15 intake valves.which is about the smallest that I have heard of most commonly they would use 2.18---- 2.25 Brett has a really big port that goes into these heads. But it would have require me to buy another set of intake valves which I didn't want to do at the time. What I will tell you Bretts cylinder heads make killer horsepower and carry really well and you don't have to turn them to the moon.....thanks again Brett
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 08:04 AM

Congrats... nice lookin ride
wave

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 07:22 PM

Never could get the chassis working well enough to leave on the trans brake.so I was on the foot brake. This thing is fighting me like crazy. The wheelie bars and leaf springs are not playing well for me.. the short times were much better without the wheelie bars... but it was only a matter of time before I found myself in big trouble...

Just keep foot brakin' till the money tree grows a bit more...looks like it's working for you!
Brian
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 08:00 PM

Congrats! That is excellent performance. And on pump gas to boot!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 02/29/16 09:20 PM

Awesome! Congrats on the 8 sec pass!!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/01/16 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440

my W8 were an odd ball set. I was not 100% on what they were originally built 4.but when I got them they were set up with a fresh set of titanium 2.15 intake valves.which is about the smallest that I have heard of most commonly they would use 2.18---- 2.25 Brett has a really big port that goes into these heads. But it would have require me to buy another set of intake valves which I didn't want to do at the time. What I will tell you Bretts cylinder heads make killer horsepower and carry really well and you don't have to turn them to the moon.....thanks again Brett

Correction. Many W8's made big hp. Patterson, Eatman, Davis all who used CFE. Brett's heads make torque. It takes torque to make hp. With a given torque # the higher the rpm you can hold most of it the more hp you make. When an engine makes big torque leading to hp at a lower rpm it runs better et.

Example two cars. One makes 900hp at 9k with only making a tic over 600ft. Lbs.at 7,600. Another car same converter weight everything that makes 10 lbs more torque and nets the same hp at 8,500 will run faster. You need torque or you will be in a terrible search to find that perfect converter. For most of us on a budget unobtainable.

You find some 60ft. and she'll fly. Your rear half is a challenge. My lack of torque wazeka mine.
Posted By: Street Monkies

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/01/16 03:56 AM

Bigger isn't always better. For this particular combination maybe the way the heads are set up is the best match, and will work better than the bigger valves/port.
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/01/16 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By Street Monkies
Bigger isn't always better. For this particular combination maybe the way the heads are set up is the best match, and will work better than the bigger valves/port.

BIGGER is better.
This is not a small block it's 440ci
It needs a 2.200+ intake valve and 3.3" min cross section.
And it don't have that yet....

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/01/16 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By W5DART66

BIGGER is better.

Yet! laugh2
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/01/16 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By W5DART66

BIGGER is better.

Patience Brett you and I both know at some point BIG will find it's way on his car, just a matter of time and money laugh2

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/01/16 05:11 PM

Yes I can see 15 to 1.and big ports and a big intake in my future. And some q16

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/02/16 03:06 AM

up
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/02/16 11:13 PM

Yes.....and that will equal 8.60's. Just ask me how I know. LOL.

Congrats on the nice runs. Glad it's performing well for you.
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/06/16 05:09 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Finally got my 8 sec slip - 03/06/16 11:57 PM

Good running setup!
© 2024 Moparts Forums