Moparts

Tunnel ram intake

Posted By: Wedgeman

Tunnel ram intake - 02/27/16 03:13 PM

Anyone trying a tunnel ram on a small block ?

Noticable gains ?

Dan
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/27/16 06:18 PM

Noticeable gains? LOL
Seat of the pants or time slip?
While it is hard to be a good but simple 4bbl. Carb set up on a good intake, truly, a 2X4 can out power it IF the engine can actually use it. Most shy away from the cost and added complexity of another carb. I'm not going to say it is a race only part but that is where they have always shines the best.

What is your engine set up?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/27/16 06:44 PM

I ran one for a while.. the vac secondary carbs
never worked like I wanted.. I tried everything to
get them to work right..I went with a single 4bbl
carb and each one that was larger was quicker
and faster
wave

Attached picture fixengin.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/27/16 07:06 PM

Never used them on a small block. Have run2x4 tunnel ram on big blocks. Really like them. Carb selection is critical. No vacuum secondaries. I would use Holley 450 TR carbs for street motor, 660 center squirters for street/strip or better.

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 12:22 AM

Another member here ( Mopardave if I remember) was suggested to work a pair of 750 cfm over it....
Posted By: M_D

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 02:39 AM

Tunnel rams work great if you have a solid engine and chassis combination. In my opinion the general idea that they are "exotic" and not "streetable" is overstated. Other than the obvious issues such as height, extra parts ($$$) and weight I can't think of significant drawbacks. If you know how to tune one carb well, you just have an extra one to tune. If you can't tune well and your carbs are not right, then you will likely not be happy.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 06:39 AM

I'm planning a t ram set up for my 410 race gas motor. Won't be ready this season. Still need lincage and fuel lines. Just got the carbs two 750 ultras per Mark and some others recommendations.

Attached picture IMG_20160220_132051.jpg
Posted By: moparborn

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 07:59 AM

Ran one on my 68 440 no problems ran great.
Just put one on the truck last spring,have not dialed it all in but doing good.

Attached picture 318.jpg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
I'm planning a t ram set up for my 410 race gas motor. Won't be ready this season. Still need lincage and fuel lines. Just got the carbs two 750 ultras per Mark and some others recommendations.

I didn't realize you were using W2 stuff. That is my favorite TR. I have used several and they work every time.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 02:36 PM

Properly set up it will beat a single 4 everytime. Most people don't want to take the time and effort to get them right.I made 18 dyno pulls getting mine right but I had no data to fall back on. I'm the only guy I know using a pair of Thermoquads.Dave

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 02:55 PM

How much more torque can you see on an average race engine ?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 03:23 PM

Some have reported as much as 40 hp gain on a 572 motor with 572-13 heads. I am betting if you figure a possible gain of four percent, you wouldn't be far off, given the motor operates in the right rpm range with both single and TR set ups close to optimum. I saw a good gain on a 440 stroker by going with a tunnelram, picked up another tenth and a half after install by opening up the runners a bunch.
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 03:28 PM

We played around with one on our 500" last summer. Went from a pro systems single 4 (1150 cfm) to the tunnel ram w/ 750's. The car slowed up .07 and went a full mph faster. Crazy thing is it was very friendly with starting. But, in the end its sitting on the bench. I believe the cam I'm running just wasn't right for the setup. It's always fun to see what it does though....

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 03:29 PM

For a set up that costs 1500$ or so for 30hp gain, that's 50$ per HP, plus the unbeatable look ! I'm sold !
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 04:32 PM

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 05:51 PM

looks good too.

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/28/16 05:54 PM

how are they on the bottom of the rpm scale? they look simular to a sheetmetal intake in design. look at the runners and the plenum shape.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/29/16 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
how are they on the bottom of the rpm scale?

Some fun reading...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0801-mopar-intake-manifolds/
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 02/29/16 06:23 PM

My small block picked up .4 with a TR and two 750's over a single 950 with no other changes. The driveability and throttle response was also greatly improved and I spent a lot of time on that single 4 combo.

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 03/01/16 02:16 AM

Great reading in that article !
The M1 stands out !

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 03/01/16 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
My small block picked up .4 with a TR and two 750's over a single 950 with no other changes. The driveability and throttle response was also greatly improved and I spent a lot of time on that single 4 combo.

What were your ET's with the 950 ?

Dan
Posted By: M_D

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 03/01/16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By JACK1440
We played around with one on our 500" last summer. Went from a pro systems single 4 (1150 cfm) to the tunnel ram w/ 750's. The car slowed up .07 and went a full mph faster. Crazy thing is it was very friendly with starting. But, in the end its sitting on the bench. I believe the cam I'm running just wasn't right for the setup. It's always fun to see what it does though....

If it picked up 1 mph it wasn't down on power, even though it was slower. My guess is the carbs needed some tuning.

Some older tunnel rams don't have very large ports and some of the newer single 4 race intakes might be almost as good (or better) in the as cast form. Don't know what single 4 you had and what tunnel ram you tried though. One nice thing about tunnel rams: it is easier to size the ports in order to match the engine.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Tunnel ram intake - 03/01/16 03:27 AM

I picked up about 1.5 tenths going from a 1050 Dominator to two 750's on a 451 big block in a 9.90 car, I'm sure they work just as good on a small block. It drove nicer on the street and the 60 foot was slightly better. Only drawback for me with the tunnel ram was that it drank twice as much fuel.

Attached picture 100_1925.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums