Moparts

main cap torque

Posted By: rowin4

main cap torque - 02/14/16 12:05 AM

What's the proper torque for: 440 block with aluminum main caps, ARP studs with ARP assembly lube? And while I'm asking 7/16 " 440 source rod bolts.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: main cap torque - 02/14/16 12:33 AM

I would call ARP on Monday and ask them up I have some of the ARP instructions sheets from ARP in the shop but I'm not sure if those numbers apply to the aluminum main caps or iron caps onlyconfused On the rod bolts I would call 440 Source also to make sure to get the straight scoop on thier rod bolts, some of the rod companys have special ARP bolts made for thier rods so the general torque from another brand with 7/16 ARP bolts may or may not be correct work I like and use a rod stretch bolt gauge on all my race or Hi Po aftermarket rods with ARP bolts thumbs
Posted By: ahy

Re: main cap torque - 02/14/16 01:19 AM

Suggest you ask the machinist who did the line bore and hone what he used... in addition to checking with the supplier. In general assembly torque should match up with torque at machining so the cap and block distortion is the same for consistent bearing clearance.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: main cap torque - 02/14/16 01:31 AM

Well I went through my garage cabinet and found a ARP box with a sheet in it. It states to torque the 1/2" studs in 3 steps to 110 ft. lbs. using ARP ultra lube. Now that box was supplied with my aluminum Hemi block . Would there be different part numbers [ studs ] for cast iron block?/ cast iron block , with aluminum caps with the same size studs? 110 ft. lbs. seems high but I built this engine 8 years ago, getting old and have CRS. Probably end up calling both places to get the straight scoop as you [ CAB ] said.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: main cap torque - 02/14/16 01:37 AM

Took a while, but I found my build sheet for my 500. Used Best aluminum caps and ARP studs with supplied moly lube. Torqued to 90 lb ft. Spec was also 90 lb ft. Don't know about Source rod bolts. My rod bolts are torqued to 70 lb ft with moly.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: main cap torque - 02/14/16 01:42 AM

Mine were 90 ft lbs also on the mains
Posted By: Jerry

Re: main cap torque - 02/15/16 06:23 AM

using arp studs you should be at 110 ft lbs per their instructions. in order to maximize the clamping force of the stud you need to follow the manufacturers instructions.
Posted By: Dduster

Re: main cap torque - 02/15/16 06:51 AM

Go on the ARP webpage and download the torque instructions based on part numbers. I think It is listed as Tech Info(??). It's all there, just look for It.
© 2024 Moparts Forums