Moparts

Exhaust turndowns???

Posted By: TomsCharger70

Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 03:47 PM

Thinking about taking off the tail pipes and mounting turndowns to the muffler ends. The turndowns would be in front of the rear axel.

My question is -Would this result in getting allot of exhaust fumes inside the cab and would the exhaust system become insanely louder???

Any one who done this mod, is it worth it?

Car has 3.5" X-pipe and Dynomax Ultra-Flo mufflers...

Thanks!
/Tom
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 03:53 PM

Turn downs usually sound much louder in the car and can fume you up, too. Then there is the dust they kick up............
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 03:58 PM

Mine turn down in front of the axle and the noise is not bad. I don't notice the fumes either. It will blow dust everywhere though.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 04:36 PM

If its in a truck(sounds like it is)the fumes
might not be bad since the bed is separate from
the cab... as to the noise.. the sound tends to
get bounched around under the car... the lower the
car is this tends to be more.. turn them out sideways
and it can lower that some... also on the fumes.. if
your cab is sealed up good it shouldnt be a issue
wave
Posted By: onig

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 05:03 PM

Yes louder.
More fumes as well, when sitting still.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 05:15 PM

This is for my street/strip 1970 Dodge Charger. I could live with a louder exhaust sound but I dont like the fumes part, so Ill probably skip this mod.

Thanks for the posts!
/Tom
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 06:05 PM

The wife used to make me strip when I came in the door when I had turn downs,so I went the other way and sent the pipes out the back bumper whistling
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 06:10 PM

Had turndowns on my dart. Droned way more on the highway, fumes in traffic were noticeable, and could never back up on dusty/dirty road...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 06:16 PM

It didn't happen for me. I ran 2 1/2" pipes with Turbo mufflers and turndowns in front of the rear axle back in my 350 chevelle days, I used an H-pipe. In the couple of years I drove the car like that I didn't notice any fumes and the sound was just right, no drone. That car made several long trips, like 500 miles, so we would have noticed.

It was the way we did things back then.

R.
Posted By: Harley

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 07:15 PM

I just took my turn downs off and put some 3 inch tailpipes on. Yes fumes come in the car, and yes the volume inside the car goes up.
I'm glade i put the tailpipes on.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/04/16 08:07 PM

Not worth it,unless you just have to make that litle wheight go away.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 12:49 AM

All of mine have had turn downs and it is probably a little louder and have never had any fumes in car.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 01:07 AM

Years ago at LACR(Desert),I had turndowns and pissed a LOT of people off in the pits blowing dust in their faces........don`t recommend it myself.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 01:16 AM

How about removing the tail pipes and adding extensions from the muffs to make side pipes exit in front of the rear tires like the T/A Cahllengers and AAR Cudas have work thumbs twocents
I had a set up like that on my BB Dart, short 2.5 O.D. pipe from the fenderwell headers to the early Corviar Turbo muffs and then around 20 inches of 2.5 tail pipes out of the muffs and bent out at 45 degrees to the rocker panels in front of the rear tires, that work well thumbsThey where easy to remove at the track and they didn't weigh a bunch either shruggy
Posted By: 66 Belvedere

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Years ago at LACR(Desert),I had turndowns and pissed a LOT of people off in the pits blowing dust in their faces........don`t recommend it myself.

Hahaha you had to get there early to get a good spot!

Ray

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By 66 Belvedere

Ray

Usually drove there and back and was in line before most.........
Posted By: racerx

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 02:25 AM

Curious why you what to remove the tail pipes?
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 03:20 AM

Yep, I hate people with turn down's, nice clean car and then one of these dickheads pulls up next to you frown

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By racerx
Curious why you what to remove the tail pipes?

No real reason, it was just an idea I got stuck in my head.

As I wrote in my earlier post. I could live with a louder exhaust sound, but the exhaust fumes inside the cab I can be without, so I´m not gonna do this mod.. I did not even think about/consider the fact that turn downs blow dust all over everything and everybody you drive by...

/Tom
Posted By: 383man

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 04:28 AM

I like my car alot better with the full exh on it out the the rear bumper. No drone at idle and I think the car sounds better as you can hear more of the cam to me. Ron

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 04:31 AM

I do take my tails off for car events that we have over here, the sound of a 500 + BB through 4" and Hooker mufflers is cool. JUST NO TURN DOWNS smile
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 04:54 AM

I run turn downs but actually have then turned out to the side of the car(rotated 90 deg from straight down). They end right under the rear seat. They dont kick up any more dust than people w/open headers and I have no issues w/fumes.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 05:00 AM

I've never had tailpipes on any Mopar I've ever owned, but I sure wish they had them. I don't even have them on my new street car but hope to soon.
I've always used turndowns at the rearend, but turn them mostly sideways, I've never had any complaints of kicking up dust but I'm pretty much always on concrete.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 12:20 PM

Sense were on the subject of exhaust how muck more weight do you all think a set of tailpipes add work?
Posted By: Alchemi

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 01:01 PM

I do way to much reading - At a decent speed, air flow under the car can restrict the exhaust flow on turn downs and even normal flush exit pipes, this is why many exotics and super cars have the exhaust pointing up a bit at the back, also helps the aero at the back by filling the low pressure area with pressurized exhaust

racerx - check thumperdarts real world weight loss and costs thread, FMJ has some numbers on exhaust weights hiding in that 5 million post thread

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 09:07 PM

On my electric dumps I turned the outlets into
the center of the car so they face each other to
try and cancel out some of the noise... like it
really maters with open dumps
wave
Posted By: 66 Belvedere

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/05/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By 66 Belvedere

Ray

Usually drove there and back and was in line before most.........

With the car in your sig? What years did you go?

Ray

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 12:18 AM

Ya, same car and first went there in 89 and raced there off and on till they closed............
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 01:06 AM

I have turndowns but need tailpipes, I smell like hydrocarbons when I'm out in the car long
Posted By: Charger453

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 03:17 AM

I've never had them (tailpipes) on my car and I used to get that old car/gas smell on my clothes until I switched to E85. The dust is the most annoying part.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 03:29 AM

I have the tails off my Barracuda right now because there is a car event coming up in a few weeks, this stopped me from driving it to work because it is toooooo loud, god Im nice to my neighbours.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 08:41 AM

I use them, and does my dad. They aren't straight down, but 1/2 way between down and sideways. No excessive dust and no excessive fumes in car.

Btw, the cheapest place I've found them in 3" is O'Reillys or Autozone, about $7 each. Summit's price on them is nuts.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 03:12 PM

Sense were on the subject of exhaust how muck more weight do you all think a set of tailpipes add work?

I cut 3.5 ft per side out of my 3.5 exhaust and it was 50lbs. My turn Down's end under my seat way short of the rear.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt

I cut 3.5 ft per side out of my 3.5 exhaust and it was 50lbs. My turn Down's end under my seat way short of the rear.

No sh!t never thought it would be that heavy eek

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 03:46 PM

It was like 23 pounds per pipe, 3.5 is heavy stuff.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/06/16 04:03 PM

WOW........that's over 7# per foot! I'll weigh some 3" when I go to the shop today.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/07/16 01:51 AM

If the tail pipes weight 50lbs Im going with the turndowns and I wont care what any one else think and if I dust down some ones car, well so be it. Thats allot of weight off the car. Its not like I drive that much on the road any way... Im gonna pull the rear tail pipes and check the weight...

/Tom

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/07/16 02:16 AM

Well if you going to have weight in the tail pipes at least it's in the right place out back. grin

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/07/16 05:31 PM

If 50LBS is important enough to you to accept the down sides of removing the tail pipes, what kind of racing do you do? If it is drag racing, 50LBS over and behind the rear axle might well aid the hole shot.

Most tail pipes won't weigh 50LBS. A few might, but most won't. When you pull them, weigh them and let us know what they weighed and what impact it had on your performance.

work
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/07/16 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
How about removing the tail pipes and adding extensions from the muffs to make side pipes exit in front of the rear tires like the T/A Cahllengers and AAR Cudas have work thumbs twocents
I had a set up like that on my BB Dart, short 2.5 O.D. pipe from the fenderwell headers to the early Corviar Turbo muffs and then around 20 inches of 2.5 tail pipes out of the muffs and bent out at 45 degrees to the rocker panels in front of the rear tires, that work well thumbsThey where easy to remove at the track and they didn't weigh a bunch either shruggy

That is exactly what my '65 has. Not the same muffs but same idea.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/07/16 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By DaveRS23
If 50LBS is important enough to you to accept the down sides of removing the tail pipes, what kind of racing do you do? If it is drag racing, 50LBS over and behind the rear axle might well aid the hole shot.

Most tail pipes won't weigh 50LBS. A few might, but most won't. When you pull them, weigh them and let us know what they weighed and what impact it had on your performance.

work

x2. The Flowmaster b-body 2.5" tailpipes are 26 lbs for the pair according to the shipping weight. If you have 3.5" all the way back it is definitely going to be heavier, but is that worth the tradeoffs for you?

I had tailpipes, then dumps on my '68 Charger, a '68 300, and a '79 Jeep CJ7. I did not mind the drone, but if you were in stop and go traffic you definitely end up smelling like exhaust. The Jeep I gave up and put tailpipes on it. My Charger I just lived with it, but I didn't drive it much either.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/07/16 10:31 PM

My car is heavy, raceweight is 3891lbs. So, that said, I do not think that taking off the tailpipes will do much, probably nothing. But if I dont try it, well then Ill never know.

/Tom

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/08/16 10:31 PM

work

My car went faster because it was lighter. I need more weight on the nose of my car so removing it from the aft end is a bonus.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/08/16 11:03 PM

When I was building my Rampage I was weight conscious
to a extent.. I was shooting for 2800# race ready with
me in it.. but this is also a street rod so the exhaust
was important to me... I wanted the right note and the
right DB level.. so I put the muffs all the way to the
back bumper with 3" all the way... it ended up being 2920#
with me and 18 gals of fuel(on the 2800# I forgot the fuel
weight so I would have been about 20# off of my calculations)
but it is what it is with a full interior and trailer hitch..
if the 3.5" stuff is that heavy that is some THICK wall stuff
wave

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/09/16 02:08 AM

work

My car went faster because it was lighter. I need more weight on the nose of my car so removing it from the aft end is a bonus.

I don't think that your situation is typical. It would be interesting to see how many street cars could measure a change in performance by gaining or loosing 50LBS. And most of our cars do not benefit from gaining weight on the nose.

Anything is possible and this is not to doubt what you say, but it certainly isn't what most of us can expect in those situations.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/09/16 03:07 AM

I stand corrected, the rest of the weight was switching from a chambered flowmaster to a bullet muffler.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/09/16 03:09 AM

A little longer then I remembered.

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/09/16 03:12 AM

I bought from a truck garage local to me with just plain aluminized 3.5 exhaust tubing.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Exhaust turndowns??? - 02/09/16 04:55 AM

My entire exhaust system (w/o headers) on my F body weighed 72 lbs. 3 1/2" headers to mufflers, flowmasters, 3" tail pipes. Removing (not disconnecting) the system picked the car up .06
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums