Moparts

Front Runner Question

Posted By: Kiddart

Front Runner Question - 01/18/16 08:37 PM

This is important to me. here is my question,

I have a set of 27.5 x 4.5 x 15 front runners on my car. I like the tires but hate the look, when I say look they are round side to side on the rim, I have them mounted to a 4.0 wide rim. I have ordered new rims that are on back order and just need to ask this before they are delivered.

In changing the rim width will that flatten out the contact patch on the road. I am sure it will.

the tire spec is
*5.0 tread width
*7.0 section width

They say this is with a 4.0 inch rim and its shows a bubble look.

If I say run a rim that matched the section width at 7.0 I am guessing the tire will most likely be flat.

is this doable??

am I not understanding something

Thoughts
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 12:16 AM

I am in the same boat as you. I would expect the sides to flatten out some w/a wider rim. But this is just speculation.
The ones on my Cuda look like they belong on an old utility trailer. Looks like crap.
I will say the Moroso tires on my wagon have a flatter side wall than the Goodyears on the Cuda,
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 01:22 AM

Kina went through that as well. New M/T 3.5 with 27x4.5 Hoosiers. They do bulge a little.

Attached picture IMG_20160111_185935172-640x480.jpg
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By Kiddart

I have a set of 27.5 x 4.5 x 15 front runners on my car. I like the tires but hate the look, when I say look they are round side to side on the rim, I have them mounted to a 4.0 wide rim. I have ordered new rims that are on back order and just need to ask this before they are delivered.

In changing the rim width will that flatten out the contact patch on the road. I am sure it will.

the tire spec is
*5.0 tread width
*7.0 section width

If I say run a rim that matched the section width at 7.0 I am guessing the tire will most likely be flat.

is this doable??

Thoughts

No that tire will look like [censored] on a 7" rim, I would say 5" max.
The round side on them is how they are, it's the drag look, wide rims on the back and pizza cutters on the front, you will loose that look going a 7" rim.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 03:52 AM

The round side wall is how they are constructed. What you are suggesting sounds like it would be a PITA to get air into at best and be likely be unsafe at worse. I would not get away from the manufacture's suggested rim size. Sounds like you should ditch the race tires and look for a set of DOT tires in the size and look you want.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By ozymaxwedge
Originally Posted By Kiddart

the tire spec is
*5.0 tread width
*7.0 section width

is this doable??

Thoughts

No that tire will look like [censored] on a 7" rim, I would say 5" max.
The round side on them is how they are, it's the drag look, wide rims on the back and pizza cutters on the front, you will loose that look going a 7" rim.

I agree 5" max but its funny, my tires are on a 4" rim which was what was recommended and looks like they are 8" wide at the side wall. Now the ones on my wagon also called for 4" rim but are on my old Centerline Autodrags look fine, even with a 3.5" wide rim. Just different brand of tires and how they are designed.
I'll be getting a 5" rim and will use them on the wagon. Going to try a different brand front tire for my Cuda.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 02:31 PM

gotta go thin and in to win....

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 03:29 PM

Depends on the exact tire in question. That size tire on a 7" wide rim is gonna look like crap.
I had a set of Pro Trac front runners that looked horrible and like you describe. Big bulging round sidewall. I had em mounted, put them on the car, hated them as soon as I dropped the jack. I took em right back off and sold them.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Front Runner Question - 01/19/16 03:43 PM

It will look like all the "stance" cars with skinny tires on rims that are too wide.

Stick with what the mfg suggests...
© 2024 Moparts Forums