Moparts

Engine cradle/stand.

Posted By: mopar dave

Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 05:19 AM

What kind of engine cradle you guys using to haul your engine to the Dyno? Looking for something inexpensive. Will only get used once.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 05:59 AM

I used some pieces of 2 x 10 lumber, 2 pieces along the pan rail and longer pieces front and back to keep the engine from tipping over . The front was cut out for the balancer fit.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 06:04 AM

I welded up some 1" square tubing.. then bolted
the engine on it.. then strapped it on my small
open trailer... I ended up using it to ship my
engine off to Australia in a wooden crate I made up
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
I used some pieces of 2 x 10 lumber, 2 pieces along the pan rail and longer pieces front and back to keep the engine from tipping over . The front was cut out for the balancer fit.
iagree I used 2x8 and cut out a small notch on the front to clear the oil pump and oil filter. I did place the front and rear longer pieces directly under the front and rear oil pan bolts so it didn't put any strain on the crankshaft in the front or rear by supporting the crank. thumbs I have made several different ones over the years to transport different motors to the dyno, the ones with the external oiling systems need some notching on the drivers side support rail also to clear those fittings and lines scope. Summit sells a metal engine dolly that a local guy used as a model to make one for BB and another one for SB Mopars, that works well also work
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 03:29 PM

Dave you and I seem to be progressing at about the same rate on our builds biggrin . I started building a cradle last night to put my engine on to transport it to the dyno in February. I have one I built several years ago but it has my 340 on it, plus it has casters on it.

Like Mike I use 1" tube, this one will have tabs to bolt to the engine, the first one I just bolted through the tube. Also on this one I will bolt the casters on, if I need to transport another engine I can just take the casters off. Also I'm going to make a couple tabs to bolt on the heads for ratchet straps.

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 03:39 PM

thanks guys. im looking to buy something quick. i have seem some with 1" square tubing for under $20 for chevy, but i dont see any for mopar. i seen the ones summit sells, but their 60-70 bucks. ill keep checking ebay. something will come up.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 04:57 PM

I have used a truck tire or two when taking the engine across town to the dyno. All it needs is strapped up straight so it doesn't roll over.

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 05:14 PM

I made mine so it was a ready to go engine.. headers
and everything were on it.. they picked it up, stand
and all with a fork lift with the forks together
and from there the over head crane set it in place
on the dyno... I had tabs welded on it so it bolted
to 2 bell housing points and the motor mount ears..
I used it twice for the dyno.. had a issue the first
time so I had it pulled and went back later... it
worked great... plus I had a spare block on it in the
corner for a while.. then as I said.. it went down
under when I sold my engine
wave
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 05:49 PM

I had the Summit one for the small block it was a good piece , a few years ago I sold a 318 I had and the buyer wanted the cradle too so I sold it to him. I now use a small block Chevy one a friend gave me after he Won it in a drawing, I converted it to use with my small block Mopars.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 05:57 PM

Mancini, Jegs, Summit all sell Mopar engine cradles. With a Motorplate druysump etc we always find it easy enough to build one from 1" square tubing to get what we need.

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 06:49 PM

i dont have the time to build anything right now. i found one on ebay for about $35. think ill just get it even thou it doesnt look too sturdy. i just dont want the engine flopping around in the back of my truck. i would like to put the headers on as well that way we can just roll it into the dyno cell when i get there.

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 06:53 PM

Do you have a mig welder... you could be done by
the time you get one from e-bay.. takes all of a
1/2 hour to burn one together thats nice and sturdy
EDIT
Or just buy the tubing and come by my place and I'll
burn one together for you.. free.. just need the tubing
I have a few blocks here to mock it up
wave

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 07:04 PM

Agree with MrP, quick and easy to do for sure and cannot neat that offer. Bet he even has some 1" tubing smile

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 07:05 PM

Agree with MrP, quick and easy to do for sure and cannot neat that offer. Bet he even has some 1" tubing smile

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/13/16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire

Nope.. no 1" tubing.. I did have a couple of feet of 1 1/4
but not enough
wave

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/14/16 03:52 AM

Thanks again for the offer Mike. If you were next door I would be all over that. I do appreciate that. I need something in the next 2-3 weeks. Should be ready by then. My problem is time. There's never enough of it.

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/14/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
Thanks again for the offer Mike. If you were next door I would be all over that. I do appreciate that. I need something in the next 2-3 weeks. Should be ready by then. My problem is time. There's never enough of it.

No problem
wave
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/14/16 05:36 AM

I make my own dollies so I can put a large diameter caster on them. They roll a lot easier when they have a big caster wheel. I also include some holes for the tie downs to hook into.

Attached picture DSC_6930 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/14/16 05:42 AM

Andy does Mancini sell those? I am in need! Can you supply the part number?
Posted By: mprhound

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/14/16 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
I make my own dollies so I can put a large diameter caster on them. They roll a lot easier when they have a big caster wheel. I also include some holes for the tie downs to hook into.

Those would be great if you could still buy them
I tried Mancini a couple of months ago and they said they Could not get them anymore
Wished I had one
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/14/16 05:04 PM

Yep, out of production. I stopped making them as a part number for sale but I still make a few for myself from time to time.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Engine cradle/stand. - 01/15/16 02:26 AM

If you ever find yourself tripping over one I'd love to have it gracing my shop floor!

ps I finished the stepped dyno headers if you want to try them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums