Moparts

Small block Quick time bell housing Q

Posted By: Dartbloke

Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/01/16 06:26 PM

Getting ready to install a Quick time bell housing on my small block. I was disappointed to find it has no provision for starter nose support like the stock housing has, the old Lakewood bells used to have this too. Is this likely to cause me problems? I could fabricate one but could do without the work if it's unnecessary.

What's your experiences?
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/01/16 06:55 PM

I have a Quicktime housing, also. Big block. Haven't mounted it yet, but noticed the same thing as you. I don't think it is a concern. I'm pretty sure I have seen a bunch of race designed starter motors that don't have a nose on them, either. Never heard of anyone having issues with this. Use good strength/fitting hardware. You should be ok. If you need any measurement comparisons, just send me a PM.

Re: Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/01/16 10:36 PM

Years ago I had a Tilton starter that had no nose support, that used to jam on occasions. Might have been an alignment issue, I did have to grind the block a bunch for clearance. Problem went away when I changed to a Mopar mini starter which does have a nose support, so at the time I figured that was the issue.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/02/16 01:55 AM

On a stock transmission the starter nose helps you position starter. Sense the starter holes are sloppy the nose helps the starter to self position as you tighten it up.

The QuickTime block plate has a defined hole. The shoulder on the starter centers the starter in the hole.

After first doing the R5 bells I noticed the lack of nose support. Even thought about welding one in. After a full season of running without I made the previous conclusions.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/02/16 01:59 AM

A stock starter has fairly large holes. I don't know about the HP type race starters. If those holes are more defined also, there shouldn't be a problem. I know the old Lakewood shields were a pretty sloppy fit, too. Which is why a nose support goes a long way.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/02/16 05:49 AM

The starter hole in the QuickTime block plate fits the starter really nice. There's no slop on my application.

If you have used a Lakewood and happen to switch to QuickTime. It's a lot better fit all the way around.

Now if I can only convince Ross that all Mopar dowels are .496". That would put them a step above most.

Re: Small block Quick time bell housing Q - 01/02/16 01:19 PM

Thanks fellas, I'll try it as it is I think, can always mod it later on if I need to.
© 2024 Moparts Forums