Moparts

Rod Bearing HELP

Posted By: TrWaters

Rod Bearing HELP - 12/20/15 05:58 PM

Starting to assemble my early hemi. I am using Oliver rods with F-M coated bearings.

Here's the problem...I think. When I put the F-M bearing in the rod, the non tang end is not flush with the rod mating surface. It sticks out. When I put the bearing shell in the cap, the non tang end is below the parting line. I am talking .030 in both cases. Every rod appears the same.

When I tried a set of King Bearings, all the ends are flush (to the naked eye) with the parting surfaces. (like I would expect.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Rod Bearing HELP - 12/20/15 06:04 PM

Not trying to be a smart azz but check to see if you have the uppers on the uppers and the lowers on the lowers. It should be marked on the back of the bearing shells.

Re: Rod Bearing HELP - 12/20/15 06:18 PM

Upper in upper. Lower in lower. And I stand corrected. The upperKing Bearing is not flush with the parting line, but sticks out no where near like the F-M.

These are F-M 7200CH bearings.

Re: Rod Bearing HELP - 12/20/15 07:35 PM

Done deal.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Rod Bearing HELP - 12/20/15 07:36 PM

The bearings should protrude slightly from the rod and the cap. If there sunk into the rod or the cap the split is not in the center of the rods bore in the big end.
Doug

After reading Cabs post I think I read your problem incorrectly. Is the notch to small for the bearing tang?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rod Bearing HELP - 12/20/15 08:20 PM

I had the same problem on one rod from oliver, send them all back to Oliver to have them machined the bearing tang depth and width correctly twocents Make sure they pay the freight both ways, they paid for Fed Ex overnight both ways on mine thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums