Moparts

Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage

Posted By: dart440_72

Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 05:16 AM

Well the cage is coming together nicely. I get to pick up the car this weekend. I wanted to keep the back seat because the kids love riding in the car. I also wanted to keep it a little more "hidden"

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 05:21 AM

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 05:22 AM

Posted By: 383man

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 05:57 AM

Looks nice. up Ron
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 01:57 PM

I Like it. Nice tight fit.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 05:29 PM

iagree Nice job on that cage weld sawzall
Posted By: Joe_Dart

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 07:35 PM

Very nice! Im about to go this rout i think. Any pictures from the back?
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 07:49 PM

Nice fit, but that dogleg around the dash is a built in point of collapse should the car roll and land hard on the windshield pillars
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Nice fit, but that dogleg around the dash is a built in point of collapse should the car roll and land hard on the windshield pillars

I like the way it is built and it may still pass tech even with the built-in weakness at the front. The bend at the top appears to be so that the vent window can be opened? One of many compromises between a dedicated race car and street car that can be raced. My Ramcharger is never going to be street driven.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 09:02 PM

I just would have opted to go through dash, which would have been even more unobtrusive and stronger, although more difficult to install.

The dash will NEVER come out of car as is, the other way you could have removed dash and fit it around bars
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/15/15 09:25 PM

Have to agree with Monte for sure. Through the dash would have been a much better option and more hidden too.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 05:42 AM

In the 3rd picture, I like the rear U shaped bar that comes down to the speaker tray. Anymore pictures of that?
Thanks
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
- not to mention the bend in the rear down bars and dual swing-outs. Too much of a safety compromise for fit and ease of entry/exit IMO.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 07:25 AM

It seems that the swing out bar at the bottom hinge will not allow the bar to swing out far enough to get in/out . Got a photo of that?

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By SpareParts
In the 3rd picture, I like the rear U shaped bar that comes down to the speaker tray. Anymore pictures of that?
Thanks

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4
It seems that the swing out bar at the bottom hinge will not allow the bar to swing out far enough to get in/out . Got a photo of that?

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 05:06 PM

Here it is with the interior back in

Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 06:38 PM

You should pop out the windshield and go through the dash IMO. When you do a cage you have to have the mentality its permanent so it has be able to be worked around.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 07:40 PM

Who ever did the cage did a remarkable job of fitting it up out of sight, thats the way it should be done. As for the front tubes, it is what it is now. Thanks for the extra pictures.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 11:39 PM

Looks VERY nice!
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/16/15 11:47 PM

up
I understand the comments about going through the dash, but if it passes tech then there should be enough support to be reasonably safe.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Winter upgrade #1 almost complete: Roll cage - 12/17/15 12:18 AM

I am a loss for words. First thing that comes to mind, is the cliche "if you can't say something.....". I'd rather be honest then anything else. I just wish that these solutions would be shared before bending metal. I will quote the ZEn master, "we'll see".

PS, way too many bends, disregard of nodes, few straight force paths, sorry. eek
© 2024 Moparts Forums