Moparts

Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT!

Posted By: SSDAcuda

Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 02:06 PM

Listed as 1050hp.... for now!! stirthepot

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 02:07 PM

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 02:09 PM

Sorry for the bad video... The ground was shaking!! eek
[img]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/jjkay/th_IMG_2042_zpssa0fouqo.mp4[/img]

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 02:10 PM

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 03:22 PM

PLEEEEEEEEEEZE tell me you were just watchin and your not swtichin!! rant !!

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
PLEEEEEEEEEEZE tell me you were just watchin and your not swtichin!! rant !!

LOL! No worries!! I was up there on an unrelated mission!!!

Getting ready for 2016!! wrench
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 04:26 PM

I like how the modern mopar looks with a 15" wheel and old school rubber. i realize modern cars mandate increased diameter for braking handling as well as aesthetics- I would like to see a modern musclecar tubbed out full prostreet old school style.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 04:48 PM

Barton works on Chevies too?
Posted By: LSP

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By Blusmbl

Has for a long time, not sure who christened him mopar guy.

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 05:13 PM

Yes, thats Gary Wolkwitz's new Copo Camaro in the background, and David will be driving that also for 2016.

Barton shop is full of top rate machinery, a wealth of knowledge and an outstanding passion to go fast! No shortcuts here or reason to go anywhere else no matter the brand.

Bottom line is though.... Rays shop IS the Hemi capital of the world!! up Wish I took a pic of the original '68 Hemi Dart that was sitting in the trailer waiting for Rays diagnosis when I pulled up!! Never a dull moment in Robesonia!! smoke

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/29/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
I like how the modern mopar looks with a 15" wheel and old school rubber. i realize modern cars mandate increased diameter for braking handling as well as aesthetics- I would like to see a modern musclecar tubbed out full prostreet old school style.

I agree with you there! I was never really a big fan of the late model challengers, but I really do like the look of this drag pack! And with well north of 1000hp ( :o) and Barton doing the build and tune.... It WILL be fast!! Can't wait to see it run!! thumbs

Posted By: Wailin D

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/30/15 02:54 AM

I would add this friendly observation. I think the Barton's have christened themselves as a Mopar engine building shop. One just has to look at their web page: http://raybarton.com/ and look under "engines" and "customers" to substantiate it. I am not at all arguing that they aren't excellent engine builders for other brands, but I think it is safe to say that their specialty is Mopar. Personally, I believe they are the preeminent Mopar race engine shop in the country. There are none better with the II and III generation Hemis.

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/30/15 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By Wailin D
I would add this friendly observation. I think the Barton's have christened themselves as a Mopar engine building shop. One just has to look at their web page: http://raybarton.com/ and look under "engines" and "customers" to substantiate it. I am not at all arguing that they aren't excellent engine builders for other brands, but I think it is safe to say that their specialty is Mopar. Personally, I believe they are the preeminent Mopar race engine shop in the country. There are none better with the II and III generation Hemis.

This picture kind of sums it up....

You'll see the 2nd generation "new" Barton in the foreground piloting the copo. Now look at the back quarter, talking to Larry Perkins. haha

Ray has Hemi in his blood. He has built more Hemis than most of us will see in a lifetime. Helped design blocks and engineer critical parts that push the horsepower levels of Super Stock Hemis to numbers that were competitive for a pro stock car not that long ago.... Ray has built the Image that Ray Barton Racing Engines is. And it was focused around mopar.

David's passion has turned to tuning and building of the late model fuel injected cars. His record in the factory shootout series and Stock and Super Stock speaks for itself. He does it all from the building to tuning to driving. If you see David at an NHRA race, he is usually running from trailer to trailer helping customers while racing himself.

That pretty much sums up where Ray Barton Racing Engines came from and where they're going.... I am just fortunate to be close enough to frequent the shop on a regular basis. On Saturday I was greeted with an original '68 Hemi Dart in a trailer for Rays assessment on a restoration build, and when entering the back of the shop the pictures you see here. Not too many shops have a spin-tron, first rate porting, cnc and dyno and full fabrication capabilities all under one roof.

Me personally, I love all the Gen 2 innovations, parts, history and everything else about the shop. Ray is about as sharp as it gets, and chances are if you have a problem with your mopar, he has seen it and fixed it at one point or another. BUT- I have to say all this new technology is wearing on me. Very Interesting! You have to appreciate the efforts the factories are putting out and the technology there! 1050hp from the factory as a stocker! eek Cant wait to see what numbers David, Ray and the crew get out of it after working there magic! Stay tuned!! wrench beer
Posted By: Spyphish

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 11/30/15 02:52 PM

Maybe I need to flip my stickers??? SCW

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/01/15 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By Spyphish
Maybe I need to flip my stickers??? SCW

Easy now!! You're not calming the 'Quake like that stirthepot
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/01/15 02:20 AM

Here's more info on the 2 newest Drag Pak Challengers.

Allpar.com 2016 Drag Paks
Posted By: knyech1

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/01/15 03:18 AM

Its not the Hellcat engine though...5.7 instead of 6.2 and a Whipple instead of the IHI supercharger? Wonder why they went this route?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/01/15 07:13 AM

I think they are all restricted to the same blower, CHevy,Ford,Dodge.

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/01/15 02:08 PM

The blown Dragpak listed here won't be called "Hellcat" by Ma Mopar either. I think its pretty stupid and that is how I'll refer to them....

Chrysler missing out on brand recognition instead of capitalizing on it. catfight Engineers.... argue
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/01/15 07:16 PM

If Mopar,or anyone else, builds much more horsepower potential into their factory race cars, NHRA will have to add even more classes to the alphabet soup they already have because they won't fit the existing HP/weight classifications. Even as the current cars run faster and get HP added, they are are factoring themselves into higher classes or, literally, off the chart! That may be why they put a blower on the "little" Hemi and kept the bigger one normally aspirated.

Besides, it's scarey enough when you have a high 8 second "Stocker" running a 14 second or slower FWD car.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/03/15 10:46 AM

The only thing that resemblance of a hellcat is its blown and a hemi. Not a hellcat 6.2 hemi
Posted By: LSP

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/05/15 10:48 PM

And some Cobra Jet Fords too.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/07/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By SSDAcuda
Originally Posted By Wailin D

This picture kind of sums it up....

You'll see the 2nd generation "new" Barton in the foreground piloting the copo. Now look at the back quarter, talking to Larry Perkins. haha

Ray has Hemi in his blood. He has built more Hemis than most of us will see in a lifetime. Helped design blocks and engineer critical parts that push the horsepower levels of Super Stock Hemis to numbers that were competitive for a pro stock car not that long ago.... Ray has built the Image that Ray Barton Racing Engines is. And it was focused around mopar.

David's passion has turned to tuning and building of the late model fuel injected cars. His record in the factory shootout series and Stock and Super Stock speaks for itself. He does it all from the building to tuning to driving. If you see David at an NHRA race, he is usually running from trailer to trailer helping customers while racing himself.

That pretty much sums up where Ray Barton Racing Engines came from and where they're going.... I am just fortunate to be close enough to frequent the shop on a regular basis. On Saturday I was greeted with an original '68 Hemi Dart in a trailer for Rays assessment on a restoration build, and when entering the back of the shop the pictures you see here. Not too many shops have a spin-tron, first rate porting, cnc and dyno and full fabrication capabilities all under one roof.

Me personally, I love all the Gen 2 innovations, parts, history and everything else about the shop. Ray is about as sharp as it gets, and chances are if you have a problem with your mopar, he has seen it and fixed it at one point or another. BUT- I have to say all this new technology is wearing on me. Very Interesting! You have to appreciate the efforts the factories are putting out and the technology there! 1050hp from the factory as a stocker! eek Cant wait to see what numbers David, Ray and the crew get out of it after working there magic! Stay tuned!! wrench beer

Next time your at Rays Shop ask him if he knows Don MacCallum?
Matt

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/09/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By MattW

Next time your at Rays Shop ask him if he knows Don MacCallum?
Matt

Dons name has come up more than once in Rays stories. Ray did his engine when he was up north and thats about all I will say on that matter.

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/09/15 01:13 AM

And a week later the Blown Dragpak is on the dyno!

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/09/15 01:13 AM

And another:
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/09/15 04:05 AM

Im gonna wager it has at least 100hp over the Bowtie.
Posted By: ccdave

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/09/15 06:39 AM

Mopar Rules Once Again!!!!!
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 12/09/15 06:46 PM

Just to let everyone know that "NHRA" , has refactored the ,HP. On Drap-Pac cars anr the Ford Mustangs to!!!!!! The Chevy COPO guys are not Winning enough!!!! There Whinnig!!! So again Chevy gets its way!!!! Good luck to all!!!

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/03/16 03:53 PM

From the factory 1000hp. After some minor tuning - 1113 hp!! eek

Video on the dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRwXwWvytE
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/03/16 06:52 PM

If my 605 Hemi does not work out....I am going to one of those I think...

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/04/16 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By Dragula

The sad part is that the Blown Dragpack Hemi engine will not be available to purchase seperately until a later date. Ma Mopar is saying that until all the dragpaks are built, they will not offer the engine or parts for sale. fan

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/05/16 03:35 AM

The sad part is that the Blown Dragpack Hemi engine will not be available to purchase seperately until a later date. Ma Mopar is saying that until all the dragpaks are built, they will not offer the engine or parts for sale. fan

I can pick up and rebuild a 6.1 into a 426 and swap a blower on...Doesn't have to be an over priced Drag Pack....Wasn't the sticker $21k? I would also want XFI on it....
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/05/16 09:54 AM

A 426 Gen III w a blower is a monster. One thing about stroking a Gen III, they don't have a lot of deck height, so when you go over a 4" crank it apparently really shortens piston/bore life due to a super short piston.
Posted By: 572_HEMI_Cuda

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/05/16 03:45 PM

I'm sure the 605 Hemi will be just fine...

Re: Was up at Ray Barton racing engines....NEW DRAGPACK HELLCAT! - 01/06/16 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By 572_HEMI_Cuda

I'm sure the 605 Hemi will be just fine...

I am waiting to get the block back and see how some of the fixes it needed end up...Our shop could not do them and we farmed it out.

And now after talking with Bullet cams today, if I get the quote we discussed, I am feeling a lot better about the longevity on the valve train and not having to go to RBRE rockers to make it live. I would like a set, but $$$$
© 2024 Moparts Forums