Moparts

Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank?

Posted By: AndyF

Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/25/15 09:38 PM

I know the Super Stock guys use that combo, just wondering if anyone on here is doing the same. I'm curious about rod bearing recommendations, etc.

I think I'll use a 4 inch stroke with the Honda journal size for the next stroker engine I build. Haven't decided on the rod yet, maybe aluminum.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 02:22 AM

Andy I've been building Honda and Toyota engines for over 30 years and if you get factory bearings you will need to know the exact size of the journal because they are select fit twocents

Gus beer
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 02:54 AM

I just purchased a set of big block aluminum rods from a member here with SBC journals and BBC wrist pin holes. Going to offset grind my Eagle crank for a little more stroke.

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 03:30 AM

From what I can tell a lot of what people call "Honda journals" are actually using a Quad 4 type of rod bearing. Clevite sells a variety of bearings that fit the 2.015 rod big end with a 1.889 rod journal.

I looked around a bit and Crower, Oliver and Carrillo all sell rods with the 2.015 big end. Carrillo sells a Mopar big block as well as a Hemi rod with the 2.015 big end and a 0.927 wrist pin. The rods are listed as NHRA SS legal.
Posted By: biff426

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 04:43 AM

I had this discussion with GRP a few years ago when building a all motor all out big block. Piston weight, rod length, RPM and the service intervals lead me to go with a SBC rod bearing instead of the Honda. With a rod over 6.200/7500 rpm they said you would be pulling the pan for bearing inspections due to the lack of bearing surface. I had a 7.250 rod 4.530 bore and 8500 RPM the SBC journals worked fine

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 04:57 AM

Good info, I'll need to call around and get some mroe feedback. I have enough room to use a 2.00 rod journal or even a 2.100 rod journal if I go with a 4 inch stroke.
Posted By: Jerry Kathe

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 01:57 PM

Assuming this is a bracket piece....why?
The trade off between longevity and performance would never justify itself.
Posted By: LSP

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 02:21 PM

Likely going to get conservative info regarding bearings from a parts vendor. NASCAR open Cup and NHRA Pro Stock both use 1.850" dia. x .650" wide rod bearings in the real world. I'd be more concerned with crankshaft integrity due to the decreased overlap, I have a 2.500" main 4.000" stroke 1.888" rod journal 8800 rpm drag race deal I work on, that I'd go back to a larger rod journal if I could. Even though it's an 8 counterweight crankshaft, #2,#3,and #4 main bearing wear patterns tell me the crankshaft just doesn't have enough overlap for the application, and is hurting performance on the track.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 05:17 PM

Prostock ran that size . So no doubt about power and rpm. I don't think there's a na mope of any configuration that could hurt'm. Jmo

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 05:29 PM

This combo will be 2.625 main with a 4.00 stroke so I'll have a little more overlap that your combo. I have the room to run a 2.0 inch rod journal so I might go that way. Depends on the rods. If I go with aluminum rods then I can pick the rod journal size. If I use a steel rod then there doesn't seem to be much between the Honda rods that Carrillo makes and the 2.200 rods that everyone else makes. I don't see much of a selection of BB Chevy rods with 2.10 or 2.00 journals.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 05:38 PM

Andy, Tom Molnar makes a 2.100" 6.535" x.990 pin rod.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By HardcoreB

That deal really gets my vote. Shelf stock rods, and the most common bearing and pin size out there, and with a four inch stroke about a 1.435 Comp height. I bet there is a shelf stock piston close enough to make a nice package?
Edit; Ross 99906 4.375 bore, .990 pin, 1.421 ch, works with a cometic .027 gasket and a 9.970 deck height for a .000 deck height combo. Flat top, 13.6 compression with a 64cc head.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 06:42 PM

Anything Molnar gets my vote!

Not only does he have great products but is great to talk to on the phone as well.

His 4.25" crank and 7.1" rods required nothing and practically fell in my block!
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By GY3

Not only does he have great products but is great to talk to on the phone as well.

His 4.25" crank and 7.1" rods required nothing and practically fell in my block!

Seeing how you build your engines those parts are bound to fall right back out. laugh stirthepot biggrin
Posted By: GY3

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/26/15 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By 64Post
Originally Posted By GY3

Seeing how you build your engines those parts are bound to fall right back out. laugh stirthepot biggrin

What choo talkin' about?!

Doesn't everyone torque rods and mains with an impact?! wrench

Posted By: dthemi

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/27/15 05:02 AM

For what it's worth, I'm building a 5.125 stroke, factory main, center weighted, 2.1 rod journal crank nitrous motor. The rods are 7.5 long and rpm will most likely be at max 8200.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Anyone running Honda journal on Mopar BB crank? - 11/27/15 05:07 AM

StreetKing was selling a Honda rod journal badass motor a couple of years ago on here. So it's absolutely been done
© 2024 Moparts Forums