Moparts

fel-pro head gasket ??

Posted By: JLaSalle

fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/22/15 11:46 PM

So Im wondering if I can re-use my fel-pro blue 1039's after I torqued the alum. heads down,but had to pull them off a few days later?I found 1 bad cam lobe(roller) after the heads were torqued down.No impression from the wire ring in the head,and the gaskets will go back how they were on initially.
Planning on calling fel-pro tomorrow,but what's the consensus here?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/22/15 11:58 PM

I would use it.

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61
I would use it.

Im inclined to.I've already 'crushed' the gasket though,and will spring for new ones if it's questionable.
Posted By: GY3

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 12:47 AM

I would NOT!

I had a failure of two recently and we're still trying to figure out why.

Torqued to spec., proper order, sequence of three, arp lube on arp bolts.

Both surfaces (head and block) freshly machined and confirmed square.

No more Felpro's for me!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 04:15 AM

I just had two FP failures too (wouldn't hold 15 psi in the cooling system (PRIOR) to fireup but in all fairness I did extensive cooling hole additions in the decks & I mighta messed up the deck (still ain't figured out what went wrong but I will). maybe I did not chamfer the holes and they needed to be chamfered. those FP's are cheap & I think I would be proactive & spring for new ones
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 07:39 AM

If that part number is for a SB Mopar I don't think I've ever reused them, if it is for BB I have reused them(8519, 1009 and some others part # mabye confused) after dyno testing and even after driving them on the street and reusing them. They showed no damage and they went back on the same side with the same side up with the same heads shruggy work

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 08:02 AM

Thanks everyone.Im surprised to hear of the failures,as Ive never had a problem with these gaskets at 13-1 in nearly 20 years of using them.I like to keep it simple and stick with what's been working.
Cab,thats encouraging.Appreciate it up
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 11:09 AM

Try the 1105's.. Basically the same gasket, but for wedge only.
The 1039's are for Wedge/Hemi...

Plus, the 1105 has much better construction..

15.5 : 1 never had a problem. wave

Chris.. coffee
Posted By: dvw

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 01:28 PM

I've reused them on my old 498 3 times over the course of a few seasons. 13.3-1 Indy head. Never had an issue.
Doug
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By jefflasalle
So Im wondering if I can re-use my fel-pro blue 1039's after I torqued the alum. heads down,but had to pull them off a few days later?I found 1 bad cam lobe(roller) after the heads were torqued down.No impression from the wire ring in the head,and the gaskets will go back how they were on initially.
Planning on calling fel-pro tomorrow,but what's the consensus here?

Lost a lobe on Pettis`s dyno years ago and re-used mine w/no issues after 7 years street/strip.......
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/23/15 11:59 PM

Re-use them Jeff and re-torque after a few heat cycles. You going out Sunday or headed to Vegas?

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/24/15 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By Keith Richards
Re-use them Jeff and re-torque after a few heat cycles. You going out Sunday or headed to Vegas?

Hey Keith.Done runnin until next year.Gonna freshen my stuff and be ready,guns blazin,for next year.Gonna buy a box and play at the fling,too.Cant wait for that.
You gonna come out sunday and freeze your tail off?
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: fel-pro head gasket ?? - 11/24/15 02:34 AM

Yes I am hoping so, got to do some testing for next year and hopefully pop a wheelie or two in the process, been to loooong! The MH has a great heater so looking forward to camping as well. lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums