Moparts

Caltrac adjustment...........

Posted By: D-50

Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/12/15 05:44 AM

I normally run a 315/60 M/T Drag Radial and the track that I a running at now ( Because the rest are closed)I can't hook with the radials. I put my 29.5/10.5 W's on it and it hooks great but it goes straight to the right when I leave the line. I checked the tire diameter and they are with in a 1/4 in. I switched sides with the tires and it still goes to the right. The rear suspension is Caltrac bars with stock leaf springs. Why would it go straight with the radials and go to the right so bad that I have to let off the gas or it will hit the tree or wall if I stay in it. It snatches the front tires straight up and goes to the right.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/12/15 06:40 AM

Maybe the dead hook of a radial hold your rear leafs at a different angle or preload. With the slicks it not holding as hard. Is it possible that the right tire is spinning? Topping out a shock, not holding a adjustment. I would try adjusting preload on the bars.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/12/15 08:06 AM

do you have any preload in the bars?
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/12/15 09:19 PM

We generally add one flat of preload onto the side its driving to.

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/13/15 12:47 AM

First I added about a 1/2 lb of air in the right slick. It did not help. Then I put about a 1/4 turn of preload on the right side. It might of helped a little. Then I backed off a little on the left side and it did not change. I have a short video of one attempt. I will see if I can load it on here. I have the bars in the top hole I might move them to the lower hole and start over with the left bar just touching and the the right with a 1/8 -1/4 turn preload.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/13/15 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By D-50
First I added about a 1/2 lb of air in the right slick. It did not help. Then I put about a 1/4 turn of preload on the right side. It might of helped a little. Then I backed off a little on the left side and it did not change. I have a short video of one attempt. I will see if I can load it on here. I have the bars in the top hole I might move them to the lower hole and start over with the left bar just touching and the the right with a 1/8 -1/4 turn preload.

Don't back off the left side. Keep adding one flat at per run on the right side until it straightens out.
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/13/15 01:31 AM

As a baseline, we set both sides at 1/4 turn of preload, driver in the seat, the lower hole will hit the tire softer at launch.

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/13/15 03:24 AM

Ok this is a short video from Sunday..Maybe this will work.

https://youtu.be/CZ9-5tADMjY
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/13/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By D-50
Ok this is a short video from Sunday..Maybe this will work.

https://youtu.be/CZ9-5tADMjY

Is the car lower on the dr. side at rest? I really feel you`re fighting things due to the multi-leafs myself and Cal-trac springs would fix a LOT if not all of the problems I see on the vid.......

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/14/15 01:00 AM

It sets level at rest and goes stratght as a arrow with the Drag Radials on it. The springs have 2 leafs. This picture is with Drag Radials. On the video it had 10.5/29.5 W's on it.

Attached picture download.jpeg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/14/15 05:02 AM

I am sure it's a adjustment, but look it over real good for a broken part. It turning right really bad.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/15/15 02:01 AM

Break out the tape measure and the magnifying glass I'm betting something is bent or broken. Or the leaf springs are possibly dead
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Caltrac adjustment........... - 11/16/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
I am sure it's a adjustment, but look it over real good for a broken part. It turning right really bad.

iagree Make sure the perches on your rearend aren't twisted.
© 2024 Moparts Forums