Moparts

popping out the exhaust

Posted By: Hunted Duck

popping out the exhaust - 10/29/15 05:22 PM

Getting a popping sound out of the passenger side exhaust. Number 8 ex. rocker was loose. Bent valve is my guess. Anything else it could be?
Posted By: dizuster

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/29/15 05:56 PM

Broken valve spring will do that too...
Posted By: Clanton

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/29/15 06:38 PM

It could be fuel burning in the pipe and the cold air rushing back in.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/29/15 07:52 PM

If its popping when you let off at the big end, it could be a bad header gasket.

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/31/15 04:01 AM

The popping was at idle. When i reved it up it sounded like it was gone.No popping when i left off on the top end.
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/31/15 04:05 AM

When I had a same issue it was too fat, fuel re igniting in the
exhaust
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/31/15 03:05 PM

camshaft going flat if its not a roller
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: popping out the exhaust - 10/31/15 03:39 PM

i had the same issue with the 408. when i pulled the heads all exhaust valves had been hitting the pistons. the springs got weak and they had over .200" to piston clearance. i'm thinking you may have an exhaust valve or valves not seating.

Re: popping out the exhaust - 11/06/15 11:21 PM

The valve springs are probably week. Seat checked 210 not sure open pressure. Its a roller. Springs have been on the motor since 2008. 700+ runs. Maybe more.
Posted By: urdustd

Re: popping out the exhaust - 11/07/15 08:45 PM

I had a similar issue, popping out the exhaust only at idle. Bring up the RPM's and it went away. I checked the ignition pulled carb apart, adjusted valves, checked for intake and exhaust leaks nothing worked. In the end..bad gas. Emptied the tank, cleaned it and put in new fuel and it ran like a champ. Gas of today isn't anywhere near as stable as fuel even from a few years back. Something else for you to consider.

Re: popping out the exhaust - 11/08/15 05:05 AM

I'm going to get the motor out this week but im starting to think it a bad roller lifter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums