Moparts

Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential

Posted By: cudaman1969

Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 02:09 AM

Putting together a Hemi and need some discussion time. 4.5 stroke 4.31 bore 68 block 66 heads. I've read that the intakes ports will flow enough with the extra cubes, but the exhaust look they might not. Is this right and if so what improvements if any can be done to them? Older super stock cam about .700 lift
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 02:40 AM

Give Dave a call.
http://kgengines.wix.com/kgengines
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 03:46 AM

Typically they flow 350-370cfm out of the box even with mild porting....They can flow up to or around 420cfm with someone who is really good like Ray Barton, but I have not seen a set flow that much in cast iron in a while. Above that is usually Stage V territory...

My latest aluminum set flowed 457cfm at .700.....
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 04:37 AM

Block will need some work to clear a 4.5 stroke.This is a megablock with 4.5 arm.

Attached picture ShortBlock Rod3.jpg
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Putting together a Hemi and need some discussion time. 4.5 stroke 4.31 bore 68 block 66 heads. I've read that the intakes ports will flow enough with the extra cubes, but the exhaust look they might not. Is this right and if so what improvements if any can be done to them? Older super stock cam about .700 lift

I know curiosity killed the cat , but does your 68 block have a partial vin stamp on it? It should be back by the oil pressure switch on the flange where the bellhousing would bolt up.
Thanks Matt

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By mattsmopars

I know curiosity killed the cat , but does your 68 block have a partial vin stamp on it? It should be back by the oil pressure switch on the flange where the bellhousing would bolt up.
Thanks Matt

Never crossed my mind but I will look.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Block will need some work to clear a 4.5 stroke.This is a megablock with 4.5 arm.

Already checked that, rods on the crank clear, will check again by the oil boss. BBC size
No telling how many times this block has been through the wash. "Rumors" it's an ex Bob Reed engine last.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By Dragula
Typically they flow 350-370cfm out of the box even with mild porting....They can flow up to or around 420cfm with someone who is really good like Ray Barton, but I have not seen a set flow that much in cast iron in a while. Above that is usually Stage V territory...

Is those numbers intake or ex.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 05:28 PM

If I'm not mistaken, my MP aluminum hemi heads are basically just aluminum versions of the factory iron heads.
MCH cnc ported them and they flow 429.5 cfm intake and 283 cfm exhaust w/ a tube.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
If I'm not mistaken, my MP aluminum hemi heads are basically just aluminum versions of the factory iron heads.
MCH cnc ported them and they flow 429.5 cfm intake and 283 cfm exhaust w/ a tube.

What size engine, and if you don't mind telling, some particulars. Tying to get some comparisons. Kinda what works and not.
My dad, family, lives in Bishopville, how close are you? Any tracks beside Darlington? They want me to move down with them.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 05:50 PM

What size engine, and if you don't mind telling, some particulars. Tying to get some comparisons. Kinda what works and not.

572, 11:1 for pump gas, 276/284 at fifty mild lobe street roller, single dominator, etc.
9.50s at 140 mph on the motor, 8.95 so far on a plate system at 3900 lbs.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By mattsmopars

Thanks Matt

Never crossed my mind but I will look.

That would be great if you could do that and post it. Might be someone's original engine.
Matt
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 11:34 PM

"Rumors" it's an ex Bob Reed engine last.

Does it have BULLET stamped in by the distributor? I have a Hemi block that I got from Jim Hale years ago, and I believe he got it when he bought the old Banning & Slaughter Hemi Cuda. My understanding is that Tommy Slaughter traded parts with Bullet Bob. I called Bob on it years ago and he said he thought it sounded like one of his old blocks.

Attached picture 1968 Hemi Block_BULLET.JPG

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/27/15 11:40 PM

Flow data on MCH regular CNC porting on Hemi heads. Jeff had a SS Hemi port that flowed more than this, but cost a bunch more too. I think Jeff improved on these numbers somewhat a couple of years ago after he did my iron MP heads. FYI.

Attached picture MCH Hemi CNC Flow Data.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 02:08 AM

Correct...flows the same as Cast Iron 350-370cfm

Originally Posted By Dragula

Is those numbers intake or ex.

Intake numbers

Exhaust numbers

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 05:23 AM

I have a set of 1968 Iron castings, ported by the late Glenn Knowlton. These heads were done for Chuck Lofgrens entry into the Royal Purple Hemi Challenge, and his engine won. After the contest, the engine was parted out and I bought them and put them on my FAST motor. They flow 420 intake 325 exhaust. They are for sale.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 05:30 AM

So what is the vin on the backside.. us '68 Hemi owners gotta know.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By 52savoy

Numbers I found. Next to oil sending hole- 3 3 8 3 8 0 7 first 3-8 can't tell for sure but does have round tops like 3-8
Oil pan rail at back next to bell- stamped 42624570006 -Maltese emblem. above that 4-16-68 ,block casting date 1-15-68
Front pan rail at timing cover the name WARFEL

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By mr_340
"Rumors" it's an ex Bob Reed engine last.

Does it have BULLET stamped in by the distributor? I have a Hemi block that I got from Jim Hale years ago, and I believe he got it when he bought the old Banning & Slaughter Hemi Cuda. My understanding is that Tommy Slaughter traded parts with Bullet Bob. I called Bob on it years ago and he said he thought it sounded like one of his old blocks.

Nothing there, ground off a lot, bottom pan rail at timing cover the name WARFEL

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 06:54 AM

Glenn Warfel, Scat Pack Dodge Dart. Look down a bit to see the copper colored Dart.

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002&page=288

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 02:48 PM

My dad, family, lives in Bishopville, how close are you? Any tracks beside Darlington? They want me to move down with them.

Bishopville is about an hour from me, 30 minutes from where I work in Florence. Good friend of mine is from there.
There are a lot of tracks around here...within an hour to 1.5 hours away anyway.
Darlington is about to change managers, not sure who will be running it next year though.
Midway Motorsports Park in Greeleyville is reopening this weekend (1/8 mile).
Union Dragstrip and Jefferson/Pageland Dragstrip are two others fairly close in SC. Right in the edge of NC there is Rockingham Dragway (1/4), Fayetteville motorsports park (1/4), ZMax in Charlotte, 710 dragstrip, Red Springs Dragstrip (Thunder Valley), Rico Dragstrip, and a bunch of others a little further up the road. Most of them stay open year round as long as the weather is decent.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By mr_340
Glenn Warfel, Scat Pack Dodge Dart. Look down a bit to see the copper colored Dart.

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002&page=288

Cool, wonder if it was the original block? Not sure when those cars where made.

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By 52savoy

Numbers I found. Next to oil sending hole- 3 3 8 3 8 0 7 first 3-8 can't tell for sure but does have round tops like 3-8
Oil pan rail at back next to bell- stamped 42624570006 -Maltese emblem. above that 4-16-68 ,block casting date 1-15-68
Front pan rail at timing cover the name WARFEL

Well?

Re: Stock iron Hemi heads flow potential - 10/28/15 08:01 PM

Not sure what to make of the partial vin stamp it should be some like 8B383807 and maybe that what it is but part is lightly stamped?
The 426 is the cubic inches, the 2457 is 10,000 day calendar date of April 19th,1968. the 0006 is the number built that day I believe.
I forget what the Maltese cross is for. If Scot Smith or some other chime in I am sure they may have more info than I.
Matt
© 2024 Moparts Forums