Moparts

1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations?

Posted By: WS68SSC

1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/07/15 11:34 PM

I am interested in purchasing a set of fiberglass doors for my 1968 Dodge Dart (street strip car).

Any experience with these? Where did you purchase yours from?

Also has anyone made/bought a sliding door Plexiglass set up? Something similar to what the '55 Chevy from the film Two Lane Black Top had.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: TT5 Valiant

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/07/15 11:49 PM

Hard top or sedan "post" door?
Posted By: WS68SSC

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/07/15 11:51 PM

Hard top
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/08/15 03:28 AM

Glasstek makes a real nice set. I saw them in person on Jason Digby's car.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/08/15 06:55 AM

A pair of doors by the time your done with the fitting,dealing with windows and paint will be over $2000.If you gut the steel ones it might be a 40 lb difference.

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/08/15 02:17 PM

Digby's doors were 10lbs ea with the lexan. He also made them pin on and off with light weight hinges, it's closer to 40 lbs a door difference from gutted steel doors.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/08/15 04:20 PM

Are they carbon? No way a glass door,lexan,and latch/release,paint is only 10lbs.

Doug

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/09/15 03:29 AM

They maybe carbon, I picked them up and had very little weight to them. Didn't think glasstek made carbon stuff.
Posted By: jcc

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/09/15 03:45 AM

Hand lay up carbon fiber is nearly identical process to fiberglass, except for the cost and weight. I would think most vendors will do Cf, if you ask, and are willing to pay a hefty surcharge, which is more for the hassle, then the actual extra material costs, IMO.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/09/15 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By dvw
Are they carbon? No way a glass door,lexan,and latch/release,paint is only 10lbs.

Doug
Wrong.........our glass G-body doors, with frames, door panels(carbon), lexan and even the stock outer door handles are barely over 10lbs each. They are Glasstek. And I would think a G-body door is bigger than a Dart door

Our TOTALLY gutted steel doors with factory glass was 85lbs a side
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/09/15 06:34 AM

There is zero difference in the weight of carbon mat vs fiberglass mat. The weight savings is because you use less mat with carbon.......IF it is done right. You can really only get carbon RIGHT if you vacuumn it, otherwise you pay twice as much for something that weighs nearly the same
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/09/15 05:58 PM

Glasstek will make just about anything they sell in carbon fiber. Its about double in price.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/10/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By dvw

Doug
Wrong.........our glass G-body doors, with frames, door panels(carbon), lexan and even the stock outer door handles are barely over 10lbs each. They are Glasstek. And I would think a G-body door is bigger than a Dart door

Our TOTALLY gutted steel doors with factory glass was 85lbs a side

They must make some pretty thin stuff. That's amazing. Nice to see an aftermarket part that's that nice and barely over 10lbs. I'm surprised the stock gutted door was that heavy. My stock untouched 64 Belvedere post doors loaded were 75lbs.
Doug
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: 1968 Dodge Dart fiberglass door recommendations? - 10/10/15 06:40 PM

I don't remember the exact number but we saved well over 100# going to Glasstek fiberglass doors and liftoff hinges on our 70' Dart. That's with the factory doors/hinges being stock and the glass doors complete with Lexan, window frame, no outside handles and paint.
© 2024 Moparts Forums