Moparts

R U a right or left foot braker???

Posted By: Diego_Ted

R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:07 PM

I brake with my right foot, once I hit the stripe I pull my foot off the pedel and hit the brake. Some very good racers I know use their left foot to brake and keep their left foot on the brake peddle all the way down? I one method better then the other?

Diego
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:13 PM

Im a left foot braker
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:15 PM

I think I've just gotten into the habbit of driving with both feet. Sometimes I'll hit the brake with my right foot but usually I use my left. Even just cruising through the pits my left foot is "ready" on the brake in case a kid comes out of nowhere or someone not paying attention decides to test my reflexes.
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:18 PM

Left foot here. I scrub the brake with my foot on the gas. Taking your foot off the throttle in my junk means no recovery=no stripe!! Usually racing much faster cars these days.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:19 PM

Left foot to launch and right foot after the run
to slow down.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:26 PM

Quote:

to slow down.

Same here.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:29 PM

everyday driving I use my right foot. but for racing you need to use both feet, especially while driving the top end
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:30 PM

drove a model T one time with a big block mopar in it. nearly wrecked the car because the brake pedal is on the other side of the steering colomn

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:36 PM

Quote:

everyday driving I use my right foot. but for racing you need to use both feet, especially while driving the top end

Ahhh the bracket racers method, I do see the reason to the madness.

In my case the reason I ask is in my last outing with "El Picoso" I was going for a new best and kept my foot in it what I though was 5 or 6 feet past the stripe. So I got on the brakes and wrecked the car!! Well it turns out it was more like 100 ft passed the stipe and I have heard it mentioned that I may have hit the brakes too hard and that is what caused the back end to come around. Now I am not sure this is what happened but pulling my foot off the pedle and moving to the brake takes a split second, so I was wondering if I had my left foot on the brake pedel already, it that would have made a diffrence?

Diego
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:37 PM

Left foot, I cant slide my right foot across, the
steering column is in the way.... plus I left foot
all the time on the street so its normal to me
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In my case the reason I ask is in my last outing with "El Picoso" I was going for a new best and kept my foot in it what I though was 5 or 6 feet past the stripe. So I got on the brakes and wrecked the car!! Well it turns out it was more like 100 ft passed the stipe and I have heard it mentioned that I may have hit the brakes too hard and that is what caused the back end to come around. Now I am not sure this is what happened but pulling my foot off the pedle and moving to the brake takes a split second, so I was wondering if I had my left foot on the brake pedel already, it that would have made a diffrence?

Diego

probably would who knows, sounds like you may have panic a little. you would be surprised how many feet you can travel in a split second at speed.
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:45 PM

I use both feet when racing. Left foot braking, right foot is under the hook for the throttle return...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:52 PM

I am a left footer. I actually ALWAYS use my left foot, racing or driving. Been doing it as long as I can remember.

You mean you guy dont practice your closing or tightening up a race on the street with lite poles, crosswalks etc. Or work on reaction times at the lites? Heck I have considered installing a line lock on the daily driver so I can work on my button game while sitting at a stoplite

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Diego

More than likely your prop valve was just set wrong,
it had to much front brakeing... I mostly use my
rear brakes for stopping instead of the little skinny
fronts. But if you think about the way you stop on
the top end .... you just let off the gas... the front
end noses over and at that second you hit the brakes
PRETTY HARD... thats alot of transfer to the fronts
and taking the weight off of the rears... its getting
light back there and maybe throw in a side wind,
it really doesnt take alot to get it loose if you
use alot of front brakes
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 04:57 PM

I`m a left foot braker and drive the same way on the street. Just seems easier and safer.
Posted By: Glen440

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 05:12 PM

Since my daily driver is stick I always use my right foot for gas and brake driveing around.

At the track I 2 foot it till I'm after the stripe. I stay full throttle while using the brakes at the stripe.

I had a close call with my duster on its only outing last year. I put a safe neutral valve body in it and the first time I tried neutral at the stripe I almost went off the track. At 137mph you travel real far in a couple seconds. I was too used to my 11.90 car which I barely need brakes in shutdown.

I think if the back of the car is real high, it may get out of shape under hard braking. I saw pics of my Volare in shutdown and it slams the front pretty good

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Diego

More than likely your prop valve was just set wrong,
it had to much front brakeing... I mostly use my
rear brakes for stopping instead of the little skinny
fronts. But if you think about the way you stop on
the top end .... you just let off the gas... the front
end noses over and at that second you hit the brakes
PRETTY HARD... thats alot of transfer to the fronts
and taking the weight off of the rears... its getting
light back there and maybe throw in a side wind,
it really doesnt take alot to get it loose if you
use alot of front brakes

Mr. P I think you are on to something we pulled all the proportion from the rear brakes and only the fronts were stopping. I WILL NEVER MAKE A BRAKE ADJUSTMENT AND NOT MAKE A TEST 1/2 PASS TO CHECK THEM OUT AGAIN, AS LONG AS I LIVE!~!!

Ted
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 05:42 PM

I DRIVE like a taxi driver in NYC, left foot braker, plus you need to race the stripe with the left foot, i tap the brakes after the stripe and never under no circumstances ever stand on the brakes hard.

Attached picture 4972187-65DODGECORONETLEBANON1.jpg
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 06:17 PM

I am a "left Foot" Braker.

But, that got me into trouble resently driving my new Challenger SRT8 6 Speed. I was ending my 30 mile commute getting off the freeway on this long offramp chasing a stale green light. I was hauling a55 and had to brake at the last minute and then make a quick left turn. Well, I stomped down on the "clutch pedal" and [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]! NO BRAKES! Oops! ANyhow, now I am on the REAL Brake pedal at the very last minute full antilock turning left and spilled my freaking drink all over. What a Dumb A55.

Attached picture 4972276-MVC-007S.JPG
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 06:28 PM

My daily driver has a manual transmission so I use right foot for gas and brake, left foot for clutch.

At the track I foot brake with a 727, so it's natural to use my left foot to hold the brake, and right to hit the accelerator, then use left foot at the top end to scrub off speed while playing the finish line.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 06:41 PM

Left foot here too
Posted By: cgall

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 06:47 PM

I've always been a left-footer since I started bracket racing in 1974. I've driven manual transmissions, too, and have no trouble using the right foot on the brake.

No one can top Chip Horton down in Georgia, though, he has only one leg and uses his heel and toe to launch his Dart.
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 06:57 PM

What Al said - he has taught me well as I can't get next to someone on the street without putting a fender on them or treeing them at the light. It drives my wife nuts. Always use both feet. The rule I was taught for a 4 link car - once you're out of it, stay out of it.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 07:52 PM

Quote:

I am a left footer. I actually ALWAYS use my left foot, racing or driving. Been doing it as long as I can remember.

You mean you guy dont practice your closing or tightening up a race on the street with lite poles, crosswalks etc. Or work on reaction times at the lites? Heck I have considered installing a line lock on the daily driver so I can work on my button game while sitting at a stoplite

Nothing better then using the shaddow from overpasses as your finish line on the freeway!

I believe it's hard on the motor at the finish line romping on and off the throttle, I keep my right foot planted, and use my left foot on the brake to tighten things up...
Posted By: Tig

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 09:25 PM

Quote:

At the track I foot brake with a 727, so it's natural to use my left foot to hold the brake, and right to hit the accelerator, then use left foot at the top end to scrub off speed while playing the finish line.

Keeps the suspension "loaded". I've seen a few cars get a little out of shape when they've come off the gas to lose some et.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 10:25 PM

Quote:

And my street car is a clutch/manual transmission, so I need the left foot for the clutch!

Even in the staging lanes, footbrake at the tree, return road, I use my left foot on the brake pedal. Before I started doing this, a couple times it took too long to get my right foot off the gas and onto the brake before the finish line went by (and therefore didn't close up the gap at the very end). Things go by fast at 140+ mph.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 10:37 PM

Left foot braker all the time, street and strip, have aaways driven that way.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/25/09 10:52 PM

I always drive hot rods with 2 feet, and always drive daily drivers with right foot only.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

to slow down.

Same here.

me too
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

I am a "left Foot" Braker.

But, that got me into trouble resently driving my new Challenger SRT8 6 Speed. I was ending my 30 mile commute getting off the freeway on this long offramp chasing a stale green light. I was hauling a55 and had to brake at the last minute and then make a quick left turn. Well, I stomped down on the "clutch pedal" and [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]! NO BRAKES! Oops! ANyhow, now I am on the REAL Brake pedal at the very last minute full antilock turning left and spilled my freaking drink all over. What a Dumb A55.

Welcome to life in L.A., the horrible smell of stale beer in a new car Just kidding, I'm almost sure Ron doesn't drink beer , especially when driving Ron, which vehicle arey ou going to race at the MATS race?
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 02:26 AM

CAB, you are right. I don't drink.

I will be racing the Valiant at MATS.

If that breaks before then, I will take the CHALLENGER.

And if that breaks before then I will take the 2004 1/2 CUMMINS. After all, I have won more money with that truck than anything else!!!

Attached picture 4973669-truck&trailer.JPG
Posted By: 452RT

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 02:32 AM

Left foot braking but only because there is a steering shaft between the gas and brake peddle.
Posted By: brktracr

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 02:46 AM

Left foot for racing and right foot for street driving..

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 02:47 AM

Quote:

Left foot for racing and right foot for street driving..

Hey Racer How's that build coming?

Ted
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/26/09 03:23 AM

I had to think about it for a minute, I will brake with my left foot after the stripe if its a real race and I am covering the brake with that foot in case I need to tighten it up. If I am just running a time trial I usually just lift at the stripe and get on the brakes with my right foot, unless the shutdown is short, then I always use my left foot.

And Yeah, I drive with both feet around town too.
Posted By: bill_greenwood

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 06:08 AM

I use my left foot to scrub-just a squeeze on the brake pedal while staying in the throttle- and then roll off the throttle and roll into the brake past the stripe. I have found that with the four link, when you drop the nose hard you get a slightly spooky wander to the right that isn't there when you just ease off the throttle and ease into the brakes.
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 06:40 AM

graze the brake with my left foot while i keep my right on the floor to bring the other car to a pre-determined point on my front fender, then keep them there.

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 02:28 PM

Quote:

I use my left foot to scrub-just a squeeze on the brake pedal while staying in the throttle- and then roll off the throttle and roll into the brake past the stripe. I have found that with the four link, when you drop the nose hard you get a slightly spooky wander to the right that isn't there when you just ease off the throttle and ease into the brakes.

Bill are you running a anti-roll bar with your 4-link,
If so it sounds like you have too much pre-load and
you set it up with the anti-roll attached when you
set the pre-load. Or you have too much front braking
with a good size weight difference in the front,
have the car scaled
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 03:22 PM

Mr. P, I just wanted to thank you for all your input. You always have good advise that you share freely. That's what this forum is all about!
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 03:25 PM

Quote:

My car doesn't do that at all. My chassis drives like your on rails.

Left foot braker here as well, even on the street.

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 03:27 PM

Quote:

Mr. P, I just wanted to thank you for all your input. You always have good advise that you share freely. That's what this forum is all about!

No problem... I try to help if I can with the little
bit I know
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 04:05 PM

Lefty on the track. Righty on the street(except at stop lights and when practicing top end skills on the highway.)

AJ
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/27/09 06:00 PM

Quote:

Lefty on the track. Righty on the street(except at stop lights and when practicing top end skills on the highway.)

AJ

I got the "why do you do that?" from my passenger seat just the other night

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 06:54 AM

Mr. P-body- No, I don't have an anti-roll bar, as I have a 4-link/leaf set-up. There is a fine line between too much pre-load and not enough with my set-up. If it's loose, the back of the car gets wandering around at the top end, and if it's a tad tight, it does the little dodge to the right if you nail the brakes. It's not enough to get the car crossed up, it's more like how these things used to steer with the factory alignment and worn out bias ply tires, but I prefer that to the high gear "watoosie". I'm probably a quarter turn too tight on pre-load. On the other hand, I could probably make a full pass without a hand on the wheel until the traps with the current setting. Dead, dead straight on the hit.

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 04:15 PM

Quote:

Mr. P-body- No, I don't have an anti-roll bar, as I have a 4-link/leaf set-up. There is a fine line between too much pre-load and not enough with my set-up. If it's loose, the back of the car gets wandering around at the top end, and if it's a tad tight, it does the little dodge to the right if you nail the brakes. It's not enough to get the car crossed up, it's more like how these things used to steer with the factory alignment and worn out bias ply tires, but I prefer that to the high gear "watoosie". I'm probably a quarter turn too tight on pre-load. On the other hand, I could probably make a full pass without a hand on the wheel until the traps with the current setting. Dead, dead straight on the hit.

Bill, how does that work with a leaf, dont you have
2 IC points(unless you have your 4-link IC at the
same IC point as the front eye of the leaf). I would
think there would be a binding if you have 2 IC points
Posted By: RonP

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

AJ

I get the same thing from my 16year old all the time. "Dad, you can't drive with both feet". Yes, I can and have for 23 years.
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 04:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

AJ

My passenger just shakes her head now. She knows whats coming...If she does ask I just say 'Practicing'

AJ

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AJ

My passenger just shakes her head now. She knows whats coming...If she does ask I just say 'Practicing'

AJ

Posted By: hemiparts

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 06:32 PM

I thought I was the only person who practiced leaving off a stoplight.

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 10:32 PM

Mr. P- I have the housing floated via two teflon-lined alum. bushings at the spring perch. This allows the housing to rotate freely. While the car is fairly stiff in compression, versus removing the bars, it is quite free if you raise the rear and let the housing hang on the springs. I suspect that if I did some more playing around with the pinion angle, I could find a little more freedom of movement throughout the suspension, but it doesn't work all that bad. Right now, the car basically rotates around the contact patch and hooks quite nicely.

Attached picture 4980717-P8122842.jpg

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/28/09 11:11 PM

Posted By: 6packattk

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/29/09 01:42 AM

Nice challenger

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/29/09 03:23 PM

Quote:

Nice challenger

Are you talking about the new one?
Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/29/09 07:03 PM

Im a both footer too... in my everyday vehicle or a race car...
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 01/29/09 11:57 PM

eric sounds my wife and yours soon to be
before racing right foot 32 years now racing left foot street and strip .LEFT SNOW PLOWING ALSO SO WE DONT SLIDE INTO SOMETHING
DON

Attached picture 4984069-BackSnowplow.jpg

Re: R U a right or left foot braker??? - 02/02/09 02:11 AM

In case anyone wants to know, here's a pic of the bushing-style housing floater I mentioned.

Attached picture 4993187-car002.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums