Moparts

Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like?

Posted By: Kudakidd

Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 03:11 PM

I've been racing since 1971, but never had a Mopar that went quicker than 12.73 at 108 mph. I've always fantasized what it would be like to feel the launch and see some blue sky. And what about the feel and force you experience in the seat? Any of you 'heavy hitters' wanna tell us weekend warriors what's it like?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 03:37 PM

No heavy hitter here. For the longest time I didnt
know that the front end even came up on my car. It
come up easy and sets back down easy. I still dont
know where I look when the front end is up in the
air but I THINK I watch the wall while its up just
to make sure it stays that same distance, thats
why I would like to mount a camera in the car so I
can see where my head is watching. G forces on my
car are pretty good but it doesnt hit me like my old
ladder bar set up did... that hurt every pass(like
someone hitting me in the chest with a open palm),
this 4-link is smooth. I always love it when I get
back to my pit spot and people stop by and comment
on the wheel stands
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 03:49 PM

my 63 plymouth max wedge going 10.30 with a 1.41 60 foot hits harder and higher than my 65 dodge going 9.20 with a 1.28 60 foot.
my 65 plymouth a990 hemi belvedere runs 10.09 and 1.39-1.40 60 foot and lifts the wheels pretty good.
its a great feeling when your planted into the back of your seat.

Attached picture 4969804-4726287-65hemiBelvederePINKS.jpg
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 03:50 PM

i dont do huge wheeleis ,i actually have to launch soft to keep them around 4 ft. ifeels awsome and is a lot of fun but my goal is to increase my 60ft and keep it close to the ground. www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiEOEmpLO1U
Posted By: RADAMX

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 03:58 PM

slow mo 60 ft wheel stand
Posted By: Diego_Ted

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 04:31 PM

Normal 6" stands don't feel like much maybe like a bump in the road. a 12" inch stand feels like you are going into orbit, all you see is sky. I have not been any higher and have no desire too!! See Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VrcCaqVSTI

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 04:33 PM

Freakin' cool guys! Great descriptions and vids which I never expected.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 04:33 PM

I have had cars that only pull the left front wheel off and other cars that pull both, I could not tell the left front wheelies in the car. A friend told the car was doing that and then someone had it in a picture The other cars that pulled both wheels would hike the frontend up high enough and go forward and softly set the tires back on the ground enough to tell me that something unusual had occurred felt goog on the acceleration, no bad feelings on set down

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 04:41 PM

What Fred does is insane!! My hat's off to him, but he is still crazy!

Diego
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 05:09 PM

I actually prefer the front to be 3-4" off the ground and go but with the new motor I have been carrying the front end 2 or so feet off the ground and not coming down til way to far downtrack for my comfort(200'+). I am trying to tune the wheelie out of it but have been having teething pains, last weekend I broke a clevis on on of the wheelie bars that ended my day on another 200' long wheelie.
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 05:11 PM

I've had the wheels up pretty high in the past while bracket racing (8.1's-.2's) with my super gas 4-link settings and with the old wheelie bars the bumper would touch the ground. The first couple times is like oh crap when all you see is sky but then you get a feel for the car and where it's headed. I raced all day once like that and everyone thoughts I was nuts with the wheels 2'+ in the air on a chassis car. It was going straight and wasn't causing any problems so I left the 4-link alone.

Whats a 6000 rpm 1.15 60' feel like? Kinda like falling back off your step ladder onto the grass. You learn quick to have your head back against the seat. It hits pretty hard and is alot more of a rush than the 170mph at the finish.

Attached picture 4970015-DSCF0002.JPG

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 05:14 PM

Quote:

I've had the wheels up pretty high in the past while bracket racing (8.1's-.2's) with my super gas 4-link settings and with the old wheelie bars the bumper would touch the ground. The first couple times is like oh crap when all you see is sky but then you get a feel for the car and where it's headed. I raced all day once like that and everyone thoughts I was nuts with the wheels 2'+ in the air on a chassis car. It was going straight and wasn't causing any problems so I left the 4-link alone.

Whats a 6000 rpm 1.15 60' feel like? Kinda like falling back off your step ladder onto the grass. You learn quick to have your head back against the seat. It hits pretty hard and is alot more of a rush than the 170mph at the finish.

very well said
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 05:18 PM

I also agree...All the fun is over by the 300' mark as far as the rush for me. The speed at the other end does not do it for me either.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 05:50 PM

With respect for everyone else's wheelies and better 60's, Hemi Freds wheelie in his avatar is by far and away the best mopar wheelie I seen. Factor in height, distance, destruction, and the fact that it wasn't a planned event, and Fred becomes the oracle for what a wheelie feels like. Oh yeah, he never forgot the rule of don't lift till it's down, even if it comes down on the wall.

My car doesn't 60' very well, so for me it kinda happens and is over before I really think about it. My best 60 was like a 1.23. The speed rush is better to me though. The last time I ran my car it went 172 on a 1.35 60', and hearing the motor whine at 8400 straining against the wind was better to me, but I'm a motor head.
Posted By: PUNK

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 05:58 PM

My brother didnt even think the wheels were off the ground in the picture shown. He thought it was just transfering weight in the acceleration. My stocker would wheel stand a little higher than my brothers car but I knew I was airborn. As long as your on the gas and dont lift, they set down gently and you almost dont even know about it. Maybe its because I was never focused on the wheelie is the reason that I didnt pay close attention, I dont know. Everybody at the local track would comeup to me saying, "Your car wheelies awesome". All I could think of was, "Cool". Too bad I didnt realize I was in a wheelie.

Attached picture 4970121-DougsCuda1-18-08042(Large).JPG
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 06:04 PM

Its all good!

Attached picture 4970129-100wheelie.jpg

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 06:59 PM

i have to agree with DT its all good but that top end roar is what really lets you know what your motors made of.1/8 mile is alot of fun but you cant beat that 1/4 mile top end for a rush.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 07:14 PM

To me, after I make my 1 - 2 shift and the front end
sets back down the rest of the run is boring
Posted By: CRT

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 07:22 PM

Wheelstands are the best legal high you can get.

Attached picture 4970279-100_3725.jpg
Posted By: dragnduster

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 07:31 PM

Quote:

With respect for everyone else's wheelies and better 60's, Hemi Freds wheelie in his avatar is by far and away the best mopar wheelie I seen. Factor in height, distance, destruction, and the fact that it wasn't a planned event, and Fred becomes the oracle for what a wheelie feels like.

I'd have to agree with you. In fact the unplanned ones are the ones that will really get your blood pumping. Here is a pass I made in a friends Barracuda, he asked me to make a pass and see why it wouldn't launch hard with the trans brake. As you can see it did launch hard and really caught me by surprise.

Attached picture 4970300-Mopen4-2.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 07:46 PM

i really wanted my dart to wheelstand as i thought it would help with my cars ability to break traction on upshifts. so we went about setting up the rear to make it happen. the first 3 foot high stand happened so fast i hardly had time to react. with the power on full the touch down was easy. after a couple of these we found it was sucking into my 60's so we changed settings & now i'm regularly doing 12" stands. 60's are back to where we were. big wheelies are cool but they're all hollywood stuff. small comfortable stands give me my best et's.

Attached picture 4970338-Picture045.jpg

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 07:52 PM

Quote:

I actually prefer the front to be 3-4" off the ground and go but with the new motor I have been carrying the front end 2 or so feet off the ground and not coming down til way to far downtrack for my comfort(200'+). I am trying to tune the wheelie out of it but have been having teething pains, last weekend I broke a clevis on on of the wheelie bars that ended my day on another 200' long wheelie.

Dang, AL where is the video??? Tease!!
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 07:56 PM

Would you strap yourself in a 650+ horsepower car, stage and put on blindfolds. Thats basicly what you are doing when you are dragging the bumper. Driving blindfolded! I don't know if it is stupid or crazy. I do know it is fun!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3nuzGr6DT0

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 08:26 PM

Quote:

I also agree...All the fun is over by the 300' mark as far as the rush for me. The speed at the other end does not do it for me either.

Now that's something I didn't expect to hear! I know HemiFred's wheelstand was a once in a career surprise and photo opportunity, but I was more interested in the expected and repeatable wheelie. In other words a consistant type of launch. I envy (and respect) all you guys.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 08:34 PM

This one is pretty wild.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Crazy-huge-wheelstand-Vs_134103.htm

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 08:36 PM

if you aint havin fun on the big end,YOU AINT GOIN FAST ENOUGH!!!

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/24/09 09:44 PM

Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 09:49 PM

Quote:

and NEVER LIFT

After watching the video I think I'd rather lift haha.

Unless of course you're talkin about mid-wheelstand.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 10:32 PM

Posted By: moparniac

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 11:07 PM

to me this is the ideal wheelie which I would like to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQt_cATHLk
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 11:13 PM

Natural instinct is to lift, but one should not.
I lifted while I was watching Fred's lift off that day and I was in the grand stands filming it from behind.

I pulled 'em once on the street by a hair and it felt like any other pot hole in the city. And then I pulled 'em quite a few times by two feet, but that was on a floor jack. LOL
Posted By: topside

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 11:17 PM

The normal deal is the hit&push in the back, view of the sky, and some time after hitting 2nd, a quick reference check, then on to other things. When it went up on the rear bumper (before wheelie bars), the only view was out the driver's window and I just referenced the wall, kept my leg in it, pulled 2nd...and it came down about 300 feet out. Came down pretty hard, I could feel my spine compress. Striped the pan and knocked off a grille molding. Missed the wall by inches, but not a bad deal for 300 feet. Was it fun? Hell yes!
It's not a big deal to carry 'em out 60 feet or so about a foot high; I find myself rating the Leave almost immediately after it sets down, which is fairly smooth. I love seeing the track disappear under the hood.
Posted By: SealockRacing

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 11:20 PM

i want a ride like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWe8oBjweQc&feature=related

also the way the AH cars leave seems like its working good, and looks good too!

John
Posted By: SealockRacing

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 11:21 PM

also, nice incar of a SS car i believe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_j7_jo6NUA&feature=related
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/24/09 11:41 PM

OK boomer(Ted)how about"just like another day at the office"

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/25/09 12:22 AM

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 12:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Natural instinct is to lift, but one should not.
I lifted while I was watching Fred's lift off that day and I was in the grand stands filming it from behind.

I pulled 'em once on the street by a hair and it felt like any other pot hole in the city. And then I pulled 'em quite a few times by two feet, but that was on a floor jack. LOL

to those who don't know by now it was Lee that took the video that gave me my 15 minutes of fame . thank you Lee once again

LEE,That wuz yoooooooou??Udaman!!You never stop amazin' me
Posted By: slantman

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 01:02 AM

This vid is of a brand F car, but it's pretty wild, getting all 4 wheels off the ground.

wheelie vid
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 01:26 AM

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

This one is pretty wild.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Crazy-huge-wheelstand-Vs_134103.htm

That's not the kind I would want to experience!
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 02:06 AM

Quote:

Wheelstands are the best legal high you can get.

Next to s e x.

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 05:21 AM

Thats how i know when to shift, when the wheels come down.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 12:55 PM

Don't know if it's wrong but when my front touch's down the steering wheel shimmy's in your hand a little, guess it's bump steer. Sometimes I've got to shift for 2'nd gear with the wheels still up, thats when I know it's a good one. 60ft times improved a little with the wheelstands but I think this is a characteristic of Caltracs. Never broke the 60ft beams with the rears but thats on the list Feels a bit like being on a see-saw, rise and touch down feels gentle.
Here's a link to a nice succession of pictures from a typical 'stand

http://www.topnitro.co.uk/08-OpenSports/Gallery/html/RS0046320.htm

hope ya like it

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 06:27 PM

Quote:

Here's a link to a nice succession of pictures from a typical 'stand
hope ya like it

Cool! That lucky charm swinging from your mirror was starting to make me seasick!

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 06:29 PM

Quote:

to those who don't know by now it was Lee that took the video that gave me my 15 minutes of fame . thank you Lee once again

15 minutes? More like 15 years of fame, Fred. That wheelie is right up there (pun intended) with McCandless' Demon shot.

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 09:00 PM

i thought the motto for wheelstands was, "when the wheels are in the air, select another gear"

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/25/09 09:54 PM

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/25/09 10:49 PM

see.... if you had a torqueflite you would have been ok...
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Wheelstands: What's it Feel Like? - 01/26/09 02:15 AM

Quote:

i thought the motto for wheelstands was, "when the wheels are in the air, select another gear"

So true. I can still hear my oil pan screaming, knowing an asphalt encounter is on the way, when I shift from 1-2 on the way up.

Attached File
© 2024 Moparts Forums