Moparts

Torque converter stator Question???

Posted By: Digger73

Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 05:50 AM

I went to put the torque converter in the transmission and it wouldn't spline up. I even tried standing the transmission on the tail shaft still no go. So I sat the Torque converter on the bench to see if something had fallen inside. That's when I found that the stator splines have a crack that is not allowing the torque converter to spline up. So my question is. How did this happen and if I send the torque converter in can this be repaired?

Thanks in advance,
Digger73 (Mike)
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 06:06 AM

I dont know how it cracked but it can be replaced..
not fixed
wave

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 06:29 AM

I just don't want to have a repeat and crack another one.
So if I have an idea of how it happened to start I can remedy the problem.

Diger73 (Mike)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 06:46 AM

I've never heard of, let alone seen a cracked stator confused I have fought converters not wanting to go all the way in, dropping over both steps runaway Patience and determination will win thumbs
I start by aligning the pump teeth, pump lugs,alignment pins, whatever you want to call them, so they are at 12 O clock and 6 O clock while standing the trans straight up, I then slip the converter onto the input shaft with the drive slots at 12 and 6 O clock and try and lift and spin it a little each way and let it drop into the converter into the pump housing into and over the pump lugs repeatily until it drops all the way in. I do use a straight edge across the bellhousing face and use a tape to measure the depth on the converter mounting lugs, they need to be 3/4 inch from the bellhousing inner straght edge with the converters using the bigger 7/16 converter bolts to the flexplate thumbs scopeI haven't use a stock type converter in years so I don't know how far those lugs are in from the bellhousing edges confused sorry. BTW, don't forget to lube the converter hub for the pump seal up

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 07:07 AM

I'm not sure if the picture will work. But here goes.

Digger73 (Mike)

Attached picture Converter.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 07:13 AM

that B broke!
Posted By: rebel

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 08:25 AM

there are many different types of stators. replace it with a steel stator & you'll be fine. your one could be a machined cast unit which are from the cheaper end of the scale which is why it probably broke.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By Digger73
I'm not sure if the picture will work. But here goes.

Digger73 (Mike)
Now I've seen one thumbs bow grin I have broken them(converters), several, while racing, lots of ways to mess up race parts whiney
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/07/15 11:53 PM

Broken alum stators are very common. Step it up to steel and you will likely never break another

Re: Torque converter stator Question??? - 09/08/15 05:35 AM

I'm not sure what this one is made of. The converter was built by Continental. It was built to use with a brake for my rear engine dragster. I ran it for a season and sold the car as a roller. All I know is it worked great!

Digger73 (Mike)
© 2024 Moparts Forums