Moparts

Torque Converter stall speed

Posted By: B5496RR

Torque Converter stall speed - 09/01/15 04:36 PM

A question related towards torque converter stall speed.

In a three speed trans (727). Should the stall speed be at the maximum torque RPM when attempting to accomplish the fastest ET/MPH in the 1/4 mile?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/01/15 04:41 PM

I have always had good luck with the convertor flash being 200-300 rpm over max torque rpm.
IE..... If max torque is at 5200, try to set the convertor up to flash at 5400-5500
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/01/15 07:29 PM

My 8" was flashing at 5800 which was right around the area of peak tq. Just got it back from Ultimate and should be right around 6k. Data recording was showing a small dip in eng rpm on the initial hit.

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/01/15 08:02 PM

B3422W5 - Thanks for the fast response. Always good, clear and concise info from you!

J_Body - Are you stating that your converter is now hopefully setup to flash/stall at peak TQ?

Thanks for the replies
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/01/15 10:51 PM

I have had good luck going loose over the years. When the air goes away and engine torque is down the lose converter is still up in the best rpm area for overall performance. Another advantage is that if there is a touch of tire slippage the converter stall is dragged down a bit but is still above peak torque and actually works a bit harder ( starts to lock up) making the car more consistent with less loss of acceleration. A rough rule of thumb is 1100 to 1300 rpm from stall rpm to shift point .
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/02/15 03:16 AM

on numerous data recordings we had a "stall" at launch which was determined the converter dragging the engine down too much. Dyno peak torque was 5700-5800 so we loosened the stall speed some. should be at or a little above 6K now, which will probably change again when we go from the 4.30 gear to a better suited 4.88. Higher numerical gear will help get the weight going easier, which can also have an effect on stall speed too as the engine isn't having to work as hard. In other words I've been overwhelmed with information, but am trying to use it as best as I can to optimize what I've got.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/02/15 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
on numerous data recordings we had a "stall" at launch which was determined the converter dragging the engine down too much. Dyno peak torque was 5700-5800 so we loosened the stall speed some. should be at or a little above 6K now, which will probably change again when we go from the 4.30 gear to a better suited 4.88. Higher numerical gear will help get the weight going easier, which can also have an effect on stall speed too as the engine isn't having to work as hard. In other words I've been overwhelmed with information, but am trying to use it as best as I can to optimize what I've got.

Its gonna matter how much torque is at that RPM... big torque
wont pull down like a lesser torque engine.... then weight is
the other factor
wave

Re: Torque Converter stall speed - 09/02/15 04:48 PM

Excellent info and feedback!

Thank you!
© 2024 Moparts Forums