Moparts

has fuel and spark but won't start!

Posted By: Hyper Henry

has fuel and spark but won't start! - 08/29/15 09:12 PM

500 ci, 11.8 comp on 94 Pump gas, Max Wedge ported Edddy heads, Indy tunnel ram, twin Proform 950's, new MSD dist, new MSD coil, older 7AL2 (Mopar Performance), older but still look new MSD wires, new Champion 9YC plugs. Lots of fuel from carbs and did the screw driver check on every plug and seems like lots of spark (enough to zap me good a few times!!). Its always been a bear to start since I had this motor built two years ago and have had to use Quick Start spray sometimes as it floods so dam easy! But now wont even try to start. Any help or direction appreciated.

Thanks
Derrick
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: has fuel and spark but won't start! - 08/29/15 09:25 PM

Gotta have the 3 things... spark, fuel and compression
so check compression... plugs could be soaked already..
pull a plug and check it with the wire on it.. ground
the plug
wave
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: has fuel and spark but won't start! - 08/30/15 03:55 AM

Sounds like the dizzy is 180 out.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: has fuel and spark but won't start! - 08/30/15 07:50 AM

timing and or MSD issue. recent issue? any changes preceding it acting up?
Posted By: Hyper Henry

Re: has fuel and spark but won't start! - 08/30/15 03:14 PM

Thanks guys I got it going. Combination of a couple things, coil wire had some cracks in it and was wet after washing the car and had a lot of resistance when I checked it with meter and distributor cap and reluctor had a lot of corrosion/rust.

How the heck do you keep these MSD distributor parts from rusting. Its only a couple months old!
Posted By: Digger73

Re: has fuel and spark but won't start! - 08/30/15 04:06 PM

WD-40
I used to carry a can in my 4x4 so if I got the distributor wet I could restart the truck.
Just pull the cap and spray everything good.

Hope this helps,
Digger73 (Mike)
© 2024 Moparts Forums