Moparts

Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/20/15 10:56 PM

What tranny fluid do you guys run with high horse power combos.

Powerglide w/ 8" Converter
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/20/15 11:33 PM

Oreiily or Napa or Walmart Type F. If you want trick of the week bada$$ stuf contact LAT
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 02:07 AM

Not what you likely consider high horsepower, but we had the best luck with Carquest, NAPA, Valvoline Type FA. The Carquest stuff may not be the same since Advance bought them out and cheaped out on everything. Amsoil does a synthetic Type F that I've heard good things about.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 02:27 AM

Mikes Monster Glide Tranny special mix in Lancaster upMedium HP, 700 or so shruggy
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 02:58 AM

Walmart dextron 3 for me.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 04:30 AM

Per rossler I tried type F and tractor fluid. The tractor fluid seemed to slow the car down, I guess I didn't have enough HP ..... LOL
As far as what brand.....whatever is cheapest as long as it is type F
Posted By: racerx

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 04:36 AM

The tractor fluid seemed to slow the car down,
^^^I can of always thought this^^^seems the tractor fluids were thicker.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 01:13 PM

I use type f Walmart in my dragster--works like a dream and I can afford to change it more often--I like the Napa type F but prices have just gone up and up on it--Walmart for me!
Trick fluid never offered any advantage that I could point to except on paper. If you use a trans brake hard with big HP then I am guessing a synthetic will give you more protection against the heat breakdown--or...just us Walmart and change it out when needed.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 04:27 PM

Wow I thought the type f thing was long gone,Lol.

MOPAR ATF+4 here...If it can go 100K miles in my diesel truck it'll work in my HOTROD !!

Attached picture Fish Denton 4.jpg
Attached picture Fish Denton 3.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By Gary Robbins

Wow I thought the type f thing was long gone,Lol.

MOPAR ATF+4 here...If it can go 100K miles in my diesel truck it'll work in my HOTROD !!

I kind of chuckle when I read about Type F tranny fluid. That is sooooo old school and my trans builder got me out of that long ago. Probably the only reason they still make it is for the purple shaft crowd. LOL
Posted By: ademon

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 05:32 PM

Ya, even the dex/mercon is a better oil lubrication and temp wise.

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 06:21 PM

Thanks for the input guys, the reason I ask is I get a pretty good deal through Torco and they list a couple ATF's, Hi vis and Lo vis. Not cheap by any means but then again what is.

I see Redline, Royal Purple, LAT and other offer ATF and prices are all over the place.

Here is the link to Torco:

http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/atf.html
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 06:29 PM

We use LAT in the heads up car, also have tried the ATI synthetic funny it is also called Type F, Super F to be exact and John Deere Low Vis Hygard as well. Anyway have not really noticed a big difference with any other than there is a stall difference with the Hygard. In the end the we have tried a lot and not noticed any difference in performance. I settle on the low cost type F stuff for the .90 car and IMO next to a turbo car they seem to be the hardest on transmission fluid.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 06:30 PM

Don't know anything about there trans fluid but I love the Torco 85w140 RGO I put in my 8.75!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 06:31 PM

A fluid purposely formulated to make clutches/bands slip...excellent choice for a race car.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

A fluid purposely formulated to make clutches/bands slip...excellent choice for a race car.
exactly why I won't use it, at least in the race car, not impressed with it in my 93 dodge diesel dually either.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 07:57 PM

Never tried Dex/Mercon, but I've tried the "slippery" synthetic ATF. High gear clutches came out black streaked and steels were blued. Went back to Type FA and the problem went away. Typically with the Type FA we just wash the clutches and steels, measure them and put them back in.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 08:14 PM

I've used Mobil1 in the past for trans temp..... but I went back to Type F.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 09:29 PM

I do use type F or FA in my 727s, maybe I should try it in the Mikes Monster glide in the bracket car work

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By dartman366

exactly why I won't use it, at least in the race car, not impressed with it in my 93 dodge diesel dually either.

Works good in my junk with absolutely no issues for years...Maybe I'm gettin by with it cuz I'm slow and only go low teens 60' and 4.70's to the 1/8th at 3250# on 275 drag radials !!

Attached picture Fish111.jpg

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 10:43 PM

Works good in my junk with absolutely no issues for years...Maybe I'm gettin by with it cuz I'm slow and only go low teens 60' and 4.70's to the 1/8th at 3250# on 275 drag radials !!

Dam Gary what are you running for a power plant?

You have to be making around 1500HP to run those numbers. beer
Posted By: Eric

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/21/15 10:56 PM

Your car is sick Gary!!

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/22/15 12:13 AM

Dam Gary what are you running for a power plant?

You have to be making around 1500HP to run those numbers. beer [/quote]

It's a X275 legal car !!

Indy blocked 588 with B1 originals...Single cast intake & spray !!

Engine makes 1050hp n/a and we race it @ 1400hp to 1600hp according if we're running limited X275(.036 jet lmt)or at a reg race...In the Limited class in Texas we run up front...MOPAR KOS races we're the record holder and the car to beat !!

Attached picture Denton.jpg
Attached picture Silverfish bottle.jpg
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/22/15 02:26 AM

Pretty impressive Gary! I use Red Line synthetic in my dragster. Keeps the temp down when being hot lapped.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/22/15 04:38 AM

Type f here
Posted By: Dave_S

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/22/15 03:44 PM

I used to us ATF+4 but my powerglide would slip (400 rpm flare) when I shifted into high. Changed to JD hydraulic fluid...no flare. The JD fluid stinks when it gets hot. I switched again to type F....no flare and no stink!!
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/22/15 04:13 PM

We use the John Deere stuff in our Outlaw Drag Radial car
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Racing Powerglide Tranny Fluid - 08/22/15 04:54 PM

I always used the "red" stuff from Mikes Transmission out of California. Great stuff.

http://www.mikestransmission.com/
© 2024 Moparts Forums