Moparts

Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing?

Posted By: B Dartman

Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 01:01 PM

Any thoughts / opinions on this?

In an ongoing effort to assist in curtailing escalating costs associated with the operation of professional nitromethane category vehicles (Top Fuel and Funny Car), NHRA has implemented the following testing limitations for the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season.

Unlimited testing for Top Fuel and Funny Car teams will be permitted until the 2009 season opener at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, Feb. 5, 2009. At that point, and during the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season (Feb 5 to Nov 15), professional nitromethane teams will be limited to a maximum of four (4) one-day test sessions. This policy applies to both the team and driver.

NHRA's definition of testing includes, but is not limited to, any run or attempted run conducted at any track whatsoever, whether or not it is an NHRA track or NHRA-sanctioned track. Exhibitions, match racing, licensing attempts, and the like, are considered testing and will be subject to this testing policy. For example, participating at a two-day match race will be defined as two testing session days. Regardless of the number of runs attempted per day, each day will be defined as one testing day.

A team in violation of this testing policy will forfeit all NHRA Full Throttle points earned at the next NHRA National event at which the team participates. Any team demonstrating a flagrant disregard or continual violation of the testing policy may be subject to additional punitive action as deemed appropriate by NHRA in its sole and absolute discretion.

The policy was developed after consultation with several professional nitromethane teams on a fair and equitable way to limit testing in the 2009 season. NHRA's decisions enforcing the policy will be final and not appealable.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 01:26 PM

my thought, who cares???
Posted By: ksj

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 01:58 PM

Guess they dont car about the independent teams that depend on match race monies to survive.Two weekends to match race.NHRA=IDIOTS
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 02:07 PM

It goes against what made America great. The NHRA has become a too-large, too all-powerful, too over-regulating of a governing body instead of a light handed governing body that guides and promotes fair competition and innovation. It stiffles competition, over-regulates and conditions people from even trying to compete, takes away their individual rights and uses the media to make most people think it's the greatest thing since JC; but hang on to your wallets cuz Change has come to America too, better start getting used to it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 02:16 PM

one would have to guess they did that to level the playing field. IMO it hurts the less experienced teams the most and could hamper any potential new competition from gaining needed testing info. that only hurts the sport overall.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 02:59 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts / opinions on this?

In an ongoing effort to assist in curtailing escalating costs associated with the operation of professional nitromethane category vehicles (Top Fuel and Funny Car), NHRA has implemented the following testing limitations for the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season.

Unlimited testing for Top Fuel and Funny Car teams will be permitted until the 2009 season opener at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, Feb. 5, 2009. At that point, and during the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season (Feb 5 to Nov 15), professional nitromethane teams will be limited to a maximum of four (4) one-day test sessions. This policy applies to both the team and driver.

NHRA's definition of testing includes, but is not limited to, any run or attempted run conducted at any track whatsoever, whether or not it is an NHRA track or NHRA-sanctioned track. Exhibitions, match racing, licensing attempts, and the like, are considered testing and will be subject to this testing policy. For example, participating at a two-day match race will be defined as two testing session days. Regardless of the number of runs attempted per day, each day will be defined as one testing day.

A team in violation of this testing policy will forfeit all NHRA Full Throttle points earned at the next NHRA National event at which the team participates. Any team demonstrating a flagrant disregard or continual violation of the testing policy may be subject to additional punitive action as deemed appropriate by NHRA in its sole and absolute discretion.

The policy was developed after consultation with several professional nitromethane teams on a fair and equitable way to limit testing in the 2009 season. NHRA's decisions enforcing the policy will be final and not appealable.

What do you think about it?
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 03:13 PM

The days of 25 fuel cars showing up to qualify for a 16 car field are over. If i recall there was even a race at the end of the season were 15 cars showed up. With the economy and sponsership money getting tighter, i think it is in NHRA's best interest to give the little guys a little bit of a better shot at things.
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 04:36 PM

Quote:

one would have to guess they did that to level the playing field. IMO it hurts the less experienced teams the most and could hamper any potential new competition from gaining needed testing info. that only hurts the sport overall.

Yet another example of NHRA's short sightedness.......
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 04:46 PM

Hello,

I guess safety improvements will have to wait till after the season is over.

Damon
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 06:34 PM

Geez.
Guess if i come into boat loads of cash, i cant run my stuff cuz somebody says no.
Let em eat quiche.
NNHRa getting more stupid by the day.
Lets squish even more new potential attendees.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 07:03 PM

Nascar limits teams to how many times they can test and on which tracks they can test on.

I can rationalize the thoughts behind limiting testing, (not let the mega funded teams test thier cars into the ground, while a lesser funded team will "test" while they are trying to qualify for a race).

I wonder though, its 4 days per team or driver, so force has 4 cars, for 16 days allowed (4 for each car? or is it 4 days total for all 4 cars? Its shared information in that team...

What I see through the haze is this... NOW if I want to see a top fueler, or funny car, I HAVE to go to an NHRA National event, because the booked in night of fire type races and a team making 3 passes in one day for XX amount of dollars just died. and the days of people like Del Worsham sliding over to an IHRA race are done, 3 days at an IHRA race and 3 testing days gone for NHRA purposes. I bet theyd rather test and get more runs in.
I think NHRA just put a little hurt on IHRA racers and stopped the likes of people like Bruce Litton from coming to NHRA without being fined before he even makes a run down the track. Litton chases IHRA points,lets hypothetically say he races 5 races in IHRA, shows up at the US Nationals, they say 5 races, at 3 days each, 15 testing days, youre allowed 4, youre 11 over what we allow, youre fined $XXXXX, thats a pretty hefty entry fee.

NHRA tracks will speak up, IHRA tracks will speak up, PRO will speak up, I bet there will be an ammendment on this down the road.
Posted By: AFDRAGRACER

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 07:36 PM

I was thinking of the same thing with the match races. I know the Forces, Wilkerson & Kalitta's do certain match races like the Night of Fire, so now that will hurt those events because they won't have the draw of the big name nitro drivers coming. Also curiuos how it works for those guys like Capps & Worsham who run Nostalgia Funny Car.
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 07:40 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of the same thing with the match races. I know the Forces, Wilkerson & Kalitta's do certain match races like the Night of Fire, so now that will hurt those events because they won't have the draw of the big name nitro drivers coming. Also curiuos how it works for those guys like Capps & Worsham who run Nostalgia Funny Car.

Exactly what came to mind when I saw that....now its time to keep my eyes peeled on Norwalk's site to see if I should purchase tickets.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 08:51 PM

Just another way NHRA is trying to copy NASCRAP.... A shame... First it was the race to the chase now this...
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 08:59 PM

Maybe they could factor it like , for example, the top 5 points teams from the previous year , get X amount of test days , the 6 thru 10 points teams get XX amount of tests , etc...

kinda like the crappy Nfl teams get first picks in the drafts

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 09:06 PM

It doesn't make sense to me, what does NHRA care about how much money it cost a team? Somewhere between the lines, and all that fine print, its putting money or benefiting NHRA in some form or fashion. Other than being "worried" about the teams. And if they are, due to low car count, and teams folding they're a day late and a dollar short now. If the teams doesn't have the money to test, they simply wont test. i don't see how putting a cap on it will help.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

It doesn't make sense to me, what does NHRA care about how much money it cost a team?

NHRA does NOT care at all ... they just want to LOCK these teams into running only their program.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 09:50 PM

I can't see how they could police this, and at the same time the local tracks will scream that they are cutting off the potential gate $$ for match races and the alike. This could be a GREAT opportunity to attract more fuel cars to IHRA if they'd just make the classes for them. Real stupid move, NHRA.
But no biggie, I ain't going back to the stands of a national event until they get rid of the stupid race to finals, or whatever they are calling that stupidity, and 1000' racing.
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/22/09 10:01 PM

Saw a pretty good logo on another site...Not Helping Racers Anymore
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 01:26 AM

Quote:

Saw a pretty good logo on another site...Not Helping Racers Anymore

The way i see it is NHRA is holding the little guy down by not letting them do testing or match race or crossover to IHRA events. I don't see why they would care, the funding doesn't come from their sponsership. Yes it looks like they want all the action.

Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 01:29 AM

BobR:
Quote:

What do you think about it?

I think overall, I don't like it. It adds to a small list of peeves over the years that have disenchanted my liking of the pro circus...

Dislikes:
- NHRA taking over sale of racer merchandise from the back of their rigs ($15 T-shirts)
- Hospitality rigs/too much VIP treatment...gag
- Becoming over commercialized; the NASCAR mold
- Holding back technology, initiative, and the innovation that stems from....testing
- Drag racing becoming an IROC race

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 07:40 AM

Hopefully one of the racers affected will sue NHRA for trying to limit competion and their constitional rights to pursue Life, Libery and Happiness and conspiring to limit the racers ability to make a living racing anywhere else. Nobody signs a contract with NHRA agreeing to there insane non compete anywhere else rules Ultimately they are trying to kill IHRA, me thanks
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 08:02 AM

"The policy was developed after consultation with several professional nitromethane teams on a fair and equitable way to limit testing in the 2009 season."

That can be interpreted as either the big money teams wanted it or the little money teams. I still say that there is no way the NHRA can enforce it realistically. What's to stop big dollar teams like Schumacher from renting a track during the middle of the week and testing? DSR is less than 2 hours from US 41, and 41 would definitely take his money.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 09:32 AM

Just make separate testing teams, drivers and team members that are not participating in NHRA events can "rent" a car from for example DSR and go testing any time there is need.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 02:29 PM

Could this be partly because of the Nitromethane shortage?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 02:52 PM

NHRA has in their rules that if you bring a lawsuit against NHRA that you can't compete until it is settled.

But I guess you could sue against that too.
Posted By: 5537SG

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 03:04 PM

Quote:

Could this be partly because of the Nitromethane shortage?

there never was a nitro shortage.. The only one that was short of nitro was VP (which just happens to be the "official" supplier) there was plenty of nitro available from other non "approved" suppliers, who didnt want to jack the price up 200%.

not that it matters to me personally, its just more NHRA nonsense.
Posted By: pyp1000

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 04:18 PM

It's been proven time and again that a sanctioning body trying to save racers money by limiting testing doesn't work.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 04:31 PM

Anything to halt the progression, and advancement of the sport. Top teams learn something every time they test. To me and my conspiracy mind it's a step towards IROC style drag racing. Put a sticker on it and call it your car, because it won't be about being better than the other guy. It'll be a safe little show for the advertisers.

Reminds me of the liberal public school where little Johnny can't have a better pencil than Timmy, because that's not fair to Timmy. So lets lower Johnny's standard for Timmy.

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 04:50 PM

Quote:

Just make separate testing teams, drivers and team members that are not participating in NHRA events can "rent" a car from for example DSR and go testing any time there is need.

i see so many things wrong with that, I dont even know where to start to say why it wouldnt work.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/23/09 08:39 PM

well what would be wrong with covering the team name on the car and letting someone else drive during testing?
do a body in white so to speak and bring to track on open trailer with no sponcers anywhere???
Posted By: gearhead01

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/25/09 04:19 AM

II can only believe that the most well to do teams are the ones endorsing this silliness. The teams that are getting the best sponsorship deals, which pay regardless of how many times they run, or how well they perform.

Other than the opportunity to win races, teams that want to run IHRA races is to increase the amount of time their car is on the track. That is what the sponsors are paying for, to have their names out in the public eye. If a team can show they are racing and getting the sponsor exposure, the sponsors will pay more, or will continue to sign the teams to future deals. In this day and age, companies are only going to pay for results.

What this will eventually do is drive the smaller teams out, because their on track time will be limited to how many times they can compete. Then these there will be fewer teams, and soon the fields will not be full, and people will get tired of paying big $ to watch fewer cars. The TV people will see the value of the “shows” diminish, followed by the companies that advertise will pull back their ads. Then, there will be no more drag racing on the tube.

The whole professional thing will go in to a death spiral.

What needs to be figured out then is what does that do to you and I. How does it affect your local track? If IHRA folds, what happens to the IHRA tracks?

John

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/25/09 03:15 PM

Quote:

well what would be wrong with covering the team name on the car and letting someone else drive during testing?
do a body in white so to speak and bring to track on open trailer with no sponcers anywhere???

Who'd tune it? Who'd work on it?
Posted By: prochamp

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/25/09 07:03 PM

ya know if ihra took a good long look at nhra and did alot of the opposite it could give itself numerous opportunities.just think 1/4 mile in all classes,no gear limits,cubic inch limits etc.the good old days of "run what ya brung" would be a great draw.i know alot of people will bring up the safety issues but face it when there is some degree of danger the stands are full.the unexpected always is a good sale.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/25/09 07:27 PM

Rob, I don't think IHRA has mandated any of the stuff that NHRA has required lately, like the FC chassis, auto shutoff, spec tire pressure, etc. Maybe we will see some of the teams move over.

I think the timing is perfect for Edgewater to go IHRA and hold a national event there, but I heard the owner is still holding a grudge against IHRA from the mid 80's.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Stop that!! NHRA to limit Pro testing? - 01/26/09 01:09 AM

Gram light isnt the brightest.. i know that i have learned that in my national events last year working on a funny car... you would think they would let the race but noooo.... and its National Hospitality and Retail Association and ihra no longer has funny car didnt have enough money to keep then there program.. The saftey device is actually pretty cool keeps you from killing a lot of stuff ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums