Moparts

flowbench follies

Posted By: thecarfarmer

flowbench follies - 01/22/09 12:32 AM

Ran across a flowbench forum while surfing today. Had an interesting thread. Test plates run on Ford's in-house flow bench vs. some Superflows vs. some home made ones.

http://www.tractorsport.com/cgi-bin/foru...ct=ST;f=1;t=230

Let the (flow)bench racing begin!

-bill

Attached picture 4964113-flow.jpg
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: flowbench follies - 01/22/09 01:10 AM

I don't think anybody cares. If your bench reads lower than most
others, it just means the bench isn't accurate or the heads are
garbage......depending on who did the heads.

Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: flowbench follies - 01/22/09 01:22 AM

that is a really interesting forum. Cool
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 12:43 AM

Quote:

I don't think anybody cares. If your bench reads lower than most
others, it just means the bench isn't accurate or the heads are
garbage......depending on who did the heads.

Well, I thought it was interesting that a number of home made benches flowed within a similar point spread of a number of name brand flow benches. With the tests being done on different days, in different parts of the country, with changes in altitude, baro pressure, etc.

-bill
Posted By: vcummins

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 12:49 AM

A flow bench is A static testing instrument. they DO NOT make horse power
Posted By: AndyF

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 03:23 AM

It was a cool project and it showed a bunch of people that benches are pretty close to each other when checked with a standard orifice type of gauge.

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 03:49 AM

274 to 309.8 isn't all that close.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 04:01 AM

Quote:

A flow bench is A static testing instrument. they DO NOT make horse power

No, but someone who knows HOW to use them and WHAT to look for can make HP by applying what is learned from testing.

Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 04:13 AM

ive owned a flow bench(2 different ones) since 1992.

after i had that first one about 2 years i decided that while it could be interesting to read about flow results gleaned from other shops using other benches.......the only numbers i really put any stock into were the ones i got from my own bench.

when i bought the second bench about a year and a half ago, i kept the first one on hand while i got used to the new one, and to be able to compare some heads in the event that the new bench showed numbers that didnt seem right.

once i got used to what to expect from the new bench, the old one got sold.......and now i'm at the point where i'm only concerned with the results that come off the new bench.

i still like reading the results that other people get, but i dont really consider their numbers and mine something that can be compared as truely "apples to apples".

on the other hand......even with as much variation as ive seen between flow benches.......it doesnt hold a candle to how much variation ive seen between different dynos......but thats really a whole 'nuther topic.

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 04:22 AM

I still like to hear about flow numbers but, only
compare numbers from my own bench.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: flowbench follies - 01/23/09 05:00 PM

I always flow a head befor and after porting a head and if it is a head I never played with befor I probably have it on the bench 6-10 times. Its only another tool but if you have the time its time well spent. Instead of posting posting flow numbers I would rather see how many cfm you picked up on any given head on your bench. example(head flowed 267cfm@28 befor and 298cfm@28 after.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: flowbench follies - 01/24/09 01:53 AM

pittsburghracer hit the nail on the head.a flowbench is nothing more than a tool.i've
worked at a major speed shop for 20yrs,and
can tell you that it's easy to get caught
up in flow numbers.you can make a head flow
what ever you want buy just changing the
inches of h2o or cfm. even the type of
stand you use can effect your outcome.
benches are going to read different. the
most important thing is to flow it before
and after any work using the same settings
and fixtures.i've worked on heads that flow
great but wouldn't go down the track.the
bench just lets you know if your going in
the right direction.
Posted By: BradH

Re: flowbench follies - 01/24/09 07:39 PM

Quote:

i still like reading the results that other people get, but i dont really consider their numbers and mine something that can be compared as truely "apples to apples".

I know your old bench and mine were very close when we tested the same heads on both benches. However, your new "high powered" bench probably changes that now.

Quote:

on the other hand......even with as much variation as ive seen between flow benches.......it doesnt hold a candle to how much variation ive seen between different dynos......but thats really a whole 'nuther topic.

Ya' mean like two different "600 HP" engines tested on two different dynos and one ran 11.0 @ 121 and the other 10.5 @ 126 in the same car?
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: flowbench follies - 01/26/09 03:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ya' mean like two different "600 HP" engines tested on two different dynos and one ran 11.0 @ 121 and the other 10.5 @ 126 in the same car?

yup....thats exactly what i mean
© 2024 Moparts Forums