Moparts

Harmonic Balancer .. which one??

Posted By: Dduster

Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 04:16 AM

Need to buy harmonic balancer for new rb 493" race motor. Which is the favorite or best recommended? ATI. BHJ, TCI or Fluidampr?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 05:41 AM

ATI three ring for the race motors up They offer aluminum as well as steel, I have two now(one for a 539 C.I. B1 motor and one for a B1-MC 555 C.I. Koleno block) both are seroius bracket race motors with the steel hub and aluminum outers scope If you need a part number let me know, I'll give you both #s up

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 06:21 AM

Thanks Cab. I appreciate your input. Are You going to run the Nightfire race in Boise (Eagle,ID) in a couple of weeks? I'm probably gonna scam together an excuse to get up to Boise for Work. I like Thunderbird Raceway and the Div 6 folks but it is so different in layout from Sac and Sonoma and Famoso in Pit size. Just different that's all.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 06:28 AM

http://www.innovatorswest.com/ this on my 439

ATI on my 360

TCI rattler on my old 498.

appears I'm a harmonic balancer w-h-o-r-e of some sorts...
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 09:55 AM

If you want hype, go with ati.

And if you would rather go with real world, documented dampners than you should be looking at Fluidampr. When u need a reliable piece, its Fluidam
iable piece, irt's fljddkrtorks a

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 03:33 PM

I'll pass on Fluidampr.... kind of like I wouldn't buy a PTC converter. Lots of love for the product, but I've seen others with repeated bad results from going down that road.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By Dduster
Need to buy harmonic balancer for new rb 493" race motor. Which is the favorite or best recommended? ATI. BHJ, TCI or Fluidampr?
I run a Fluidamper on my blower motor.

Attached picture fluidamper1.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 03:48 PM

Thanks Cab. I appreciate your input. Are You going to run the Nightfire race in Boise (Eagle,ID) in a couple of weeks? I'm probably gonna scam together an excuse to get up to Boise for Work. I like Thunderbird Raceway and the Div 6 folks but it is so different in layout from Sac and Sonoma and Famoso in Pit size. Just different that's all.

I would use the ATI..first choice... I also have 2 engines
with Fluidampers on them.... spacing is the only issue you
will have
wave
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 04:08 PM

I really like that ATI will build what you want you don't have to buy what ever Summit has on the shelf.

The last one I got is a 6.1 Gen3 hemi hub, smooth alum shell, chevy 3 bolt face. They have a lot of options and will gladly help you get what you need.

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 06:51 PM

I do find it interesting that when you search "broken crankshaft" you'll find discussions around the Fluidampr brand. Even some of the threads at Speedtalk discuss this. Makes you think....

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
I do find it interesting that when you search "broken crankshaft" you'll find discussions around the Fluidampr brand. Even some of the threads at Speedtalk discuss this. Makes you think....
"Oh no. Mr Bill!!" eek - and don't forget to mention how they are effected by cold weather - and they leak. blah
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 08:22 PM

ATI here

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 08:39 PM

Funny that I never broke anything when running them...and thats up
to 8600 rpm..
EDIT
its been on 3 engines now.. 340, 396, and now my 416...
I'll let you know when I break a crank
wave

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

to 8600 rpm..
wave
Mine put a crack in my Visa card. whiney

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By Crizila
Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

to 8600 rpm..
wave
Mine put a crack in my Visa card. whiney

I have used ATI... mainly for 1 reason.... its lighter..
and that engine went to 9600 a couple of times... but normal
was 8400
wave
Posted By: BlueDart

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 08:58 PM

Well my Fluidamper is on it's 3rd engine since 1997 bracket motors with countless runs them the bearings on the last engine looked good enough to use again after 12 years

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 09:07 PM

I've never used a Fluidampr..... just did a casual search after reading this post and was surprised by the comments and discussions at various forums. Get any more wound up Crizilla and I'll continue to secretly stalk you at NHRA events so that I can continue spilling beer on you.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 09:27 PM

Alcohol abuse !!!

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 10:34 PM

I've never used a Fluidampr..... just did a casual search after reading this post and was surprised by the comments and discussions at various forums. Get any more wound up Crizilla and I'll continue to secretly stalk you at NHRA events so that I can continue spilling beer on you.
laugh laugh - you're gonna make me pee!!!

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/01/15 10:38 PM

the boredom of summer is setting in.... smile
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 04:11 AM

ATI with the front drilled for Big Chev.....opens up a door to a ton of accessories that are stocked everywhere. i.e. pulleys , mandrels.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 04:37 AM

To me if its a rcae eng then ATI seems to be the best. But for a mild street/strip car like what I do I went with a Pro Sport balancer from Mancini and its not to pricey and has held up great on my 493. But remember I dont go racing every weekend and I dont street race. I drive my car alot and race it one or two times a year most of the time. Its SFI certified to like 18,000 rpm and I dont run over 6500. So its fine for what I do but all out race I would run an ATI. Ron
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 05:03 AM

I have had the same Fluidampr on three engines and and my current engine is smooth as silk with that 20 year old Fluidampr.
Whenever a crankshaft breaks some builders are quick to point the finger at a Fluidampr as the cause just because they don't run them on their engines twocents

Gus beer

Attached picture my savoy.jpg
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 05:30 AM

Please stop calling them harmonic "balancers", they are harmonic dampers. They don't "balance" anything.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 12:09 PM

Had 4 ATi dampeners over the years and one BHJ,(on different engines) the outer ring on the BHJ slipped after about 4 seasons but I don't know the recommended rebuild period for them.

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 06:14 PM

My first after market dampener was a Fluid Dampener, the second was a BHJ that cracked one of the spokes after limitled use, the next was a non SFI Pioneer, My next SFI dampener was a ATI and is still going strong after 12 years of use. Once Fluid Dampener went bankrupt and I saw all the bad comments on here about them, even if some of the comments may have been B.S., I have bought and used ATI up I have two complete ATI aluminum units in the shop now for high dollar, high HP motor builds and one ATI long hub that I will buy one of thier three ring steel outer dampener to use on my next build with a Milidon gear drive up BTW, the BHJ I bought and dyno tested was a all aluminum one that replaced a stock 340 dampener on the dyno, 7 lb differences in weight, we saw no measureable differences in HP or torque, maybe that test should have been at the track confused shruggy
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By DusterDave
Please stop calling them harmonic "balancers", they are harmonic dampers. They don't "balance" anything.

What if you have a 360? smile

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish

Those would be harmonic dalancers. bow
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By Crizila
Originally Posted By Bad340fish

Those would be harmonic dalancers. bow

Are you sure? What's a dalancer? laugh2
The OP is building a 493. Pretty sure its a steel crank internally balanced big block.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 07:34 PM

Does anyone know if ATI makes a damper that will work with a stock pulley set up on a small block?

Thanks.

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/02/15 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61
Does anyone know if ATI makes a damper that will work with a stock pulley set up on a small block?

Thanks.
Call them tomorrow morning @ 877-298-4809, and ask for tech. scope up
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By justinp61

Thanks.
Call them tomorrow morning @ 877-298-4809, and ask for tech. scope up

Thanks Cab.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 03:45 PM

I have an ATI on my hemi, no problems. up
I have a 15+ year old Fluidamper on my Indy headed 440...no problems. up

I had a BHJ damper on a 440 once. It slipped the outer ring after the first trip to the track. down

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 06:08 PM

So what we see here is marketing at it's very best. Maybe I missed one, but I didn't see anyone badmouth a FD who has actually USED one. Bought my first one in 1990 (IIRC) and still use them.

I do know this...if you are using an elosomer type dampner and they don't ask for your bobweight and RPM (at least) something is wrong, as elastomer type dampners are VERY sensitive to durometer, witdth, and thickness of the elastomer.

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By madscientist
So what we see here is marketing at it's very best. Maybe I missed one, but I didn't see anyone badmouth a FD who has actually USED one. Bought my first one in 1990 (IIRC) and still use them.

I do know this...if you are using an elosomer type dampner and they don't ask for your bobweight and RPM (at least) something is wrong, as elastomer type dampners are VERY sensitive to durometer, witdth, and thickness of the elastomer.
Why I went with a fluid damper.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 10:18 PM

Ran the Fluidampr for years w/no major issues but always had a little vibration then went to ATI and no more vibration FWIW. Also what always made me nervous was why the Fluidampr didn`t want you to balance your rotating assembly w/it on and no mention of that on others...... shruggy

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Ran the Fluidampr for years w/no major issues but always had a little vibration then went to ATI and no more vibration FWIW. Also what always made me nervous was why the Fluidampr didn`t want you to balance your rotating assembly w/it on and no mention of that on others...... shruggy

Because at relatively low balancing speeds, you don't generate enough force to center the inner ring in the housing.

Funny thing is a converter is much the same.

When I balance clutches, I always zero the disc. You'd be surprised how far off a disc can be.

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/03/15 11:21 PM

Makes sense and maybe why I "heard" the Fluidampr`s were originally designed for low rpm diesel motors.............. shruggy

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/04/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Makes sense and maybe why I "heard" the Fluidampr`s were originally designed for low rpm diesel motors.............. shruggy

I never used mine on the balance... and dont have any
vibration at low idle or 8000+ rpm.... maybe some of the
other parts... but the ATI is good enough to cover it..
I use both but I like the ATI because its lighter
wave

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/04/15 01:36 AM

Maybe mine was just goofy and I weighted em both and forgot exactly how much lighter the ATI was but wanna say about 2.5 lbs.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/04/15 02:43 AM

How does Innovators West compare to both of them?

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/04/15 03:43 AM

Just to see how many places use Your technically correct term of 'damper' I dialed up Rock Auto and Autozone and O'Reilly and none of those places recognized the term 'harmonic damper' in their search field. Summit Racing lists them both ways but Harmonic Balancer came up with the most items so I guess the world can recognize the term balancer without being penalized with the technical omission of the noun damper. Just screwing with You so don't get annoyed.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/04/15 08:27 AM

Innovators West makes a very good product as does ATI although apparently some don't agree. This might be going out on a limb but I would be willing to bet those two brands are pretty much the industry standard. Don't EVER recall seeing a Fluidamper on a Comp or SS motor, well at least one that ran well anyway.

Don't forget they are engines not motors too....Sheesh
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/05/15 02:56 AM

I've used both Fluidampers and ATI dampers on various race engines without ever having an issue. But I did have a conversation with a crank mfg a while back and he said that the only damper they recommend is the traditional bonded ring type damper. He said that everything else, including the ATI type damper, results in crank damage. I suppose in his business he knows what breaks and who broke it.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Harmonic Balancer .. which one?? - 08/05/15 04:31 AM

Either of the main two discussed both work, Ive been running the Fluidampr for right at 22 years, no problems
© 2024 Moparts Forums