Moparts

Just go off the phone with Porter...

Posted By: Big Squeeze

Just go off the phone with Porter... - 07/31/15 10:15 PM

and his exact words were "I just put a cold air kit and tuner on my Mustang".....

WTH???...Hell is freezing over.....
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 07/31/15 10:39 PM

He's a smart man.
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 07/31/15 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By Big Squeeze
and his exact words were "I just put a cold air kit and tuner on my Mustang".....

WTH???...Hell is freezing over.....

I would have thought Duane would have bought one with air conditioning and a radio

I wonder if you can get a new block for those?
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 07/31/15 11:18 PM

He told me he drove the Camaro and the Challenger too but liked the Mustang the best, plus they give them away at 0% so he bought one. Not sure what year but it's the coyote 5.0.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 07/31/15 11:58 PM

12s out of the box, 10s with a single bolt on- blower kit. Plus they handle well, and weigh less than either option. Plus the new 5.2 motor puts out over 100 hp per LITER, 8250 red line for a stock motor. Pretty impressive stuff. I love the old Mopars, and am building a Gen 3 Hemi, but I want a 2016 Mustang GT 350 pretty badly!

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 01:12 AM

Yeah, it just sounded funny coming from him!! LOL
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 03:03 AM

So much support for those cars its almost saddening compared to new Mopars. Glad the Hellcat exists but it has no support other than warranty.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 02:53 PM

Who is Porter ? Never heard of him !

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By Gary Robbins

Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing Heads...super nice guy and is one of the best camshaft/cylinder guys that used to post on here a lot.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 04:15 PM

His he still a member ? i used to love his tech threads on here
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 04:26 PM

I like all brands of cool cars.
But I did buy a RAM pickup this year after test driving and negotiating for both the RAM and Ford. The RAM 8-speed automatic transmission (8HP70 with the 5.7 Hemi) is great. Just the right gears for both towing (4.71 1st gear, 3.14 second) and empty highway gas mileage (0.84 in 7th, 0.67 in 8th).
Posted By: ademon

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By Big Squeeze

Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing Heads...super nice guy and is one of the best camshaft/cylinder guys that used to post on here a lot.

Why doesn't he post on here?

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/01/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By deaks

Yeah, but he rarely gets on...he's over the BS...I enjoyed his posts too...
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/03/15 07:23 PM

I bought a 2014 gt at the end of production. I found a base car with auto and rear window defogger. It's run 8.30 in less than perfect weather. 85 mph so a converter and drag radials will put it in the 7.80 or so in less than perfect weather. Lots of fun. Can't believe Dwayne fell for the cold air. I believe I can keep mine looking completely stock and run 7.40's.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/03/15 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By deaks

I miss his insight too, like so many others it was just easier to walk away.
Posted By: upnover

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/04/15 12:26 AM

dwayne is a true asset to us, he is a genious at specing cams and doing headwork, at waynes(big squeeze) reccomendation i called dwayne porter for a cam, i have since called him for two other cams, bought a set of ez1's that he worked over and im always impressed with him.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/04/15 02:21 PM

It's a shame he and some others don't post anymore. He's one of the best guys to deal with and one of the smartest when it comes to this stuff.
I am a little surprised he bought a mustang, but I don't blame him.

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/04/15 04:38 PM

Dwayne may be like me. I buy engines the car that they are in is secondary. But the mustangs case it is a nice foundation that lends it's self to both street and strip driving. I drove a challenger rt before I made my decision. Nice car but not as fun to drive as the mustang or as fast. The mustang is srt fast at $26 and change for the end of the year deal on my car.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/04/15 08:43 PM

I was always fascinated by High RPM 4 valve 4 cylinder motorcycle engines and always wished there was an affordable domestic V8 that used that same technology. The physical size and weight (not to mention complexity) of this FoMoCo masterpiece (to me) somewhat offsets much of its technical brilliance....but having seen one apart over at Hollis's, it's truly an amazing engine. At first glance, the valve and spring sizes will remind you more of Briggs and Stratton than 500+ hp car motor...but....

Like Danny, my fascination is in the engine technology and the mfg is purely a secondary consideration at this stage of my life, I refuse to limit my learning by limiting myself simply to brand loyalty. I can like many brands, but I can like some more, the one that drew me to begin with....even if at this point it's more sentimental and emotional, which at the core is the basis for most people in this hobby to begin with.
Posted By: Cogito

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/04/15 09:02 PM

If I remember correctly, Dwayne's had that car since new...and it's a '12. I told him he needed to do a few things to it, but he insisted he was going to keep it stock...glad to see he might be moving in the right direction...
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/04/15 09:31 PM

The older I get the more I ask myself why I fool with this old stuff. Good blocks (SB) are almost non existent, the head technology is 50 years old and aftermarket support is no where near the other two. Currently I'm building a R1, Indy headed small block, I sat down in the shop the other afternoon and ran the numbers in my head. Believe me I could've put down a large down payment on a new Mustang or Challenger. In reality support for the new Mopar stuff isn't much better than the old stuff. So other than being a Mopar guy all my life why buy it?

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 05:18 AM

Wise I thought you might appreciate this. https://youtu.be/oHwcR8sgwf4
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 02:50 PM

There's a street driven 5.0 coyote mustang in NC w/ twin turbos on it that is impressive. 5.20 at 138 mph 1/8, 8.18 at 166 mph 1/4 at 3500#. I think this car ran mid to high 5s w/ a stock longblock, cams and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W-5TvZIGZ0

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 04:48 PM

For a small cubic inch fairly heavy car the mustangs will scoot. The 6 speed auto is fairly strong too. I think a completely stock appearing car with a drag radial and a hidden bottle will go 6.50's easy.

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 04:50 PM

That car is very impressive. Bang for the buck is hard to beat on these cars.

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 07:57 PM

Just about any race or track you go to it's a sea of MUDSTAINS...If you want to dance with that crowd SOBEIT...Not a race I go to that fans along with racers say damn it's sure nice to see something different and fast to boot !!

Guess I'll always be hardcore MOPAR and will push my junk before I'll drive another brand,Lol.

Attached picture Fish Denton 4.jpg
Posted By: D-50

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 08:31 PM

Just about any race or track you go to it's a sea of MUDSTAINS...If you want to dance with that crowd SOBEIT...Not a race I go to that fans along with racers say damn it's sure nice to see something different and fast to boot !!

Guess I'll always be hardcore MOPAR and will push my junk before I'll drive another brand,Lol.

I agree..........
Posted By: BradH

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By Cogito
... Dwayne's had that car since new...and it's a '12.

Sounds right; if I checked the date of the receipt for the last cam I bought from him, that would verify the date. He was telling me about having just bought it when were discussing what to run for my first roller on the street.

Hey, he drove the alternatives and bought what he liked. When I'm in the position to buy something to replace my '02 WRX, the brand will have little to do with the purchase decision if I like one particular car better than the others.

EDIT: Please note I'm referring to my daily driver. Hard to imagine myself racing a non-Mopar at this point, given it's what most of my knowledge is based on... and I still like 'em. grin

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 10:20 PM

Gary that's cool and you know I like your car. Sure it's a lot nicer now that you rebuilt it. The video that I posted is a small ci coyote engined mustang that runs 4.0's at 200 mph. I'm sorry but I'm impressed. I don't care if it's an Edsel. This engine came out in 2011 the ford boys have already got a pretty good handle on it. It's fine to be brand loyal but it's also fun to win.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 10:21 PM

Autox events are the same way, my Dart and a 15 Challenger were it. Probably 30 cars there and 15 were Mustywangs. My car was faster than the majority and the Chally won his class lol.

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/05/15 10:26 PM

Gary that's cool and you know I like your car. Sure it's a lot nicer now that you rebuilt it. The video that I posted is a small ci coyote engined mustang that runs 4.0's at 200 mph. I'm sorry but I'm impressed. I don't care if it's an Edsel. This engine came out in 2011 the ford boys have already got a pretty good handle on it. It's fine to be brand loyal but it's also fun to win.

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/06/15 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By dannysbee

C'mon Danny that's a apples to oranges comparison to my car as he's got more in his engine program than my whole car and I can run mid 7's !!

Besides it was no knock on you as I was just stating I'm all MOPAR from my hotrods...DD'S...Farm trucks and sevice truck's !!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/06/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By 440Jim
I like all brands of cool cars.
But I did buy a RAM pickup this year after test driving and negotiating for both the RAM and Ford. The RAM 8-speed automatic transmission (8HP70 with the 5.7 Hemi) is great. Just the right gears for both towing (4.71 1st gear, 3.14 second) and empty highway gas mileage (0.84 in 7th, 0.67 in 8th).

I did the same thing...the Hemi and 8-speed is like driving a 340 Duster.

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/06/15 01:29 AM

I'm not comparing Gary. I doubt it is 10.5 legal. I just think it is cool. It's a shop car so probably just a show/advertising piece. I own 3 mopars one ford.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Just go off the phone with Porter... - 08/06/15 03:53 AM

I like my Hellcat. I've had no problem handing Blue Oval boys their asses as of lately. Very enjoyable.
© 2024 Moparts Forums