Moparts

Pro Stock and EFI

Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Pro Stock and EFI - 07/26/15 07:58 AM

Many of my customers have been sending me emails about the NHRA decision to mandate EFI in Pro Stock starting next year.

Why throttle body injection instead of port injection which OEMs use?

Many people do not realize that throttle body injection actually produces a little more horsepower. Huh? OEMs use port injection to help with cold start and emission control. But throttle body injection wets the intake charge just like a carburetor, and that wet charge is denser, which will make a little more horsepower. OEMs trade off emissions and cold start control for that small amount of horsepower that you would never feel anyway, but Pro Stock engine builders measure horsepower by tenths of a percent.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/26/15 03:26 PM

Probably for the ease of retrofit. Dual T-B's on top of the existing sheet metal manifolds. There are some nice setups out there already for this purpose.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/26/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Probably for the ease of retrofit. Dual T-B's on top of the existing sheet metal manifolds. There are some nice setups out there already for this purpose.

No retrofit since existing manifolds will be phased out with the new motors.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/26/15 08:53 PM

Nothing and I mean NOTHING will transfer from old rules package to new. All this is going to do is cost a lot of people a lot of money...
Posted By: LSP

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/26/15 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
All this is going to do is cost a lot of people a lot of money...

x2

Was $80,000 per engine to convert the NASCAR stuff to EFI, not sure what EFI system NHRA will mandate, but they'll all need to dig deep into their wallet for no gain.

The privateer/little guy that thinks the rev limit is going to make them competitive are fooling themselves. For the 11,000 rpm teams that are out there now, the valvetrains are going to get more aggressive, intake runners a little longer, and plenums a little smaller. All due to the rpm/power range reduction.

Posted By: LA360

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/29/15 09:33 AM

The thing that worries me most about it is if there is a control ECU. If there are a series of manufacturers in the mix, some of the things learned will trickle down to you and I
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/30/15 03:44 AM

Doubtful the existing manifolds would work with no hood scoop?
Posted By: HOT IN AZ

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/30/15 04:06 AM

NHRA wants to put a lid on the bottle so they can open a new one without any lawsuits!
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/30/15 05:43 AM

Pro Stock needs to start over with oe engines, so does NASCAR.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/30/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Pro Stock needs to start over with oe engines, so does NASCAR.

Bingo!
Posted By: cgall

Re: Pro Stock and EFI - 07/30/15 07:20 PM

The only players left are going to be the teams with their own engine program and those who lease. That count may only be 13-14. The 3-4 independents that filled the field this year will sell their stuff to T/S teams.
© 2024 Moparts Forums