Moparts

Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle?

Posted By: Anonymous

Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 10:58 PM

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8971&Itemid=6
Posted By: BBR

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 11:03 PM

good for them
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 11:14 PM

yes..M/T and Hooiser got shafted by nhra.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 11:19 PM

Sounds like MT gave the NHRA the finger. Good for MT. Let's see some 10.5 and drag radial racing on ESPN2~!
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 11:32 PM

After the way the GOBs treat racers, sponsors and fans, I'm amazed more haven't come out with such releases.
BTW, I have not gone to or watched any NHRA racing since the Countdown was instituted.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 11:38 PM

Another no brain move on the part of NHRA.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/20/09 11:54 PM

Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:01 AM

NHRA may be going the way of NASCAR; forgetting its roots.
Posted By: Dap

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:28 AM

Quote:

Sounds like MT gave the NHRA the finger. Good for MT. Let's see some 10.5 and drag radial racing on ESPN2~!

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:35 AM

good for them, until the racers grow enough balls to stand up and say enough is enough the NHRA will continue to to do what puts money in their pockets with no concern about the racers.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:43 AM

Good decision by M/T. If NHRA is going to mandate the use of Goodyear tires (on Pro Stock), why would M/T pay sponsorship money to NHRA?

And my jacket and competition license says IHRA, not NHRA.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:44 AM

Quote:

After the way the GOBs treat racers, sponsors and fans, I'm amazed more haven't come out with such releases.
BTW, I have not gone to or watched any NHRA racing since the Countdown was instituted.

Why should you? You can get qualifying results and Sunday results right here on moparts, sometimes before the race is aired.
Posted By: 5537SG

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:47 AM

be careful guys, you'll get labelled as NHRA bashers.

this is just another wise move by the leadership, theres nothing wrong, and everyone is in good hands with Compton at the helm.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 12:52 AM

Quote:

that's exactly what occurred to me. first the countdown, then this. i try not to bash, but what the hell are they thinking? nascar is in decline, so let's be like them?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 01:51 AM

Quote:

nhra may be going the way of the dodo if they continue down the path they're on
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 03:27 AM

Hmmm...wonder how big Goodyear's check to NHRA was, and how long before NHRA issues a statement calling it a "safety measure"?

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 03:48 AM

Quote:

Hmmm...wonder how big Goodyear's check to NHRA was, and how long before NHRA issues a statement calling it a "safety measure"?

I'm sure someone's wallet is thicker and yes somewhere
along the line they WILL say its a safety measure.
Must have been a good sized check also
I dont know what these guys are thinking(NHRA)
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 04:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure someone's wallet is thicker and yes somewhere
along the line they WILL say its a safety measure.
Must have been a good sized check also
I dont know what these guys are thinking(NHRA)

I would guess that Goodyear forced the issue just like they did against Hoosier a few years back in NASCAR. Goodyear wanted to be the only tire or they would pull out.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 02:48 PM

Well guys I like going fast and I like what the NHRA has done for racer's safety. Without the NHRA there would be more dead racers-purely and simply. Vitually every other sanctioning body has eventually adopted most of the NHRA's safety protocol. Like any other big target they attract criticism. Goodyear is the only reason there is T/F racing. I'll say that again "Goodyear is the only reason there is T/F racing. They have never shy'd away from the incredible demands that fuelers put on tires. They should be rewarded for their dedication and that is exactly what the NHRA is doing.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 04:14 PM

Quote:

They can stuff their countdown....along with 1000' racing.....

Funny, but I recall years back that Firestone used to supply TF tires too...wonder what chased them away. A single tire supplier = single point of failure, and no incentive for competition and development among manufacturers.
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 05:03 PM

Quote:

Well guys I like going fast and I like what the NHRA has done for racer's safety. Without the NHRA there would be more dead racers-purely and simply. Vitually every other sanctioning body has eventually adopted most of the NHRA's safety protocol. Like any other big target they attract criticism. Goodyear is the only reason there is T/F racing. I'll say that again "Goodyear is the only reason there is T/F racing. They have never shy'd away from the incredible demands that fuelers put on tires. They should be rewarded for their dedication and that is exactly what the NHRA is doing.

They ARE rewarded for their dedication every time a racer writes them a check to purchase their tires. No more rewards should be required.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 05:28 PM

Quote:

I'll say that again "Goodyear is the only reason there is T/F racing.

say it again, say it again.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They ARE rewarded for their dedication every time a racer writes them a check to purchase their tires. No more rewards should be required.

There is absolutely zero profit in T/F tires. Go race/watch somewhere else if you don't like the NHRA. I can assure you that if the NHRA go belly up the rest will follow quickly and sportsman drag racing will take a huge hit. Every other tire manufacturer that once supplied T/F tires pulled out voluntarily due to the unbelievably high product liability. Goodyear is in business for profit. If they can't make money somewhere then why bother?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 06:02 PM

why are you discussing TF tires? it is the PS that were forced to use only one tire and it's a BS decision imho (which doesn't matter). if GY wasn't making profit one way or the other they'll pull out in a new york minute. believe me if there was a ihra track nearby i'd be racing there instead of a nhra track. i work in a refinery and get tired of hearing the word safety thrown around like a two dollar hooker at a port of call. the speed limit in the refinery was 20mph then they dropped it to 15...why stop there? how about 5mph or better yet how bout we just walk everywhere. we have 17 pages of procedures on how to ride a frickin bicycle for crying out loud. saftey, saftey, saftey god i get sick of hearing that. these people aren't concerned for my PERSONAL safety it's business. racing is hazardous by nature and if you're not willing to accept some level of personal risk and responsibility you should be golfing. limiting the racers to one brand of tire is just plain stupid why not let the market (and racers) decide?
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 09:07 PM

Go race/watch somewhere else if you don't like the NHRA. I can assure you that if the NHRA go belly up the rest will follow quickly and sportsman drag racing will take a huge hit.

Why do you think tracks need NHRA to survive ? Not a single track i race at has a national or regional event and they are just fine. Just grass roots sportsman racing existing without the "pros"
The NHRA is just an added layer of bureaucracy driving up the cost of drag racing.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 09:16 PM

with both of the above posts.

Talked to the owner of what some people call an outlaw track. He told me that he had run under IHRA and NHRA, nether had done anything for the track except take his money.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 10:02 PM

Quote:

with both of the above posts.

Talked to the owner of what some people call an outlaw track. He told me that he had run under IHRA and NHRA, nether had done anything for the track except take his money.

Get in a wreck at an outlaw track and see what the owner does for you.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 10:50 PM

Quote:

Go race/watch somewhere else if you don't like the NHRA. I can assure you that if the NHRA go belly up the rest will follow quickly and sportsman drag racing will take a huge hit.

Why do you think tracks need NHRA to survive ? Not a single track i race at has a national or regional event and they are just fine. Just grass roots sportsman racing existing without the "pros"
The NHRA is just an added layer of bureaucracy driving up the cost of drag racing.

I like that line.

slantzilla, tell me whats different about wrecking at an outlaw track vs an NHRA one??

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 10:58 PM

Quote:

slantzilla, tell me whats different about wrecking at an outlaw track vs an NHRA one??

Insurance and medical assistance. Most of the outlaw tracks I have raced at did not have an ambulance on site, or anywhere nearby.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I like that line.

Is it that NHRA will send you a bill for clean up????

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 11:04 PM

So why did you race there then?

The track I raced at had an ambulance on site and the whole track was on the built on the owners farm. I think he had a lot more to loose than the five yahoos in Glendora.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 11:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Insurance and medical assistance. Most of the outlaw tracks I have raced at did not have an ambulance on site, or anywhere nearby.

Those waviers that you sign ? ... have so many holes in them !! ... like that you have inspected the track before you race ... how many tracks have you been to that will allow you OUT on the track to walk-it ?

I will bet that if you crashed and got hurt because of the track's negligence ... a good lawyer would AT LEAST get you the title to that track !

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/21/09 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My expierence with insurance is minimal, but I know enough to know that paying for it is one thing and actually collecting it is another.

Ive never seen a track without an ambulance or something of the sort. It seems to be a requirement of the track's insurance rather than the sanctioning organization, however thats not my most knowledgable subject either.

One thing I recall is that when you enter a NHRA national event, you have to pay extra $$$ (I think it was $100 more??, can someone clarify how much it is?) on top of the regular entry fee. Isnt that odd since your membership is supposed to offer you insurance in the event of personal injury at a National event? They certainly dont pay for your car, thats for sure.

Addionally odd as well is that when you pay for that insurance and your entry fees, never once do you receive a copy of the policy. Anyone????

and again, purchasing insurance is one thing, and collecting it is another.
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 12:28 AM

Of the 8 tracks I raced at last year, all but two were NHRA or IHRA sanctioned. The two that weren't both had ambulances and paramedics on site.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 12:46 AM

"why are you discussing TF tires?"

Because of Goodyear's commitment to the T/F tires they have been granted the rights to the P/S tire which is a much more profitable venture. What they could do is tell M/T or any of them that if they want to be an NHRA tire supplier they should have to do ALL THE TIRES not just the cream puffs. They wouldn't know where to begin.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 12:52 AM

Quote:

Of the 8 tracks I raced at last year, all but two were NHRA or IHRA sanctioned. The two that weren't both had ambulances and paramedics on site.

And the track's janitor cuts you out of the vehicle with a hack saw in say-24 hours. Paramedics know how to save lives but probably don't know much about extracting injured drivers out of race cars. I'll take the NHRA any time over any of them. They are in business to make money. Why is that such a strange notion?
Posted By: AFDRAGRACER

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 01:11 AM

Quote:

Wow you must work for Goodyear

I am glad M/T stood up to the NHRA, too bad more people don't. NHRA seems to be burning alot of bridges by only allowing certain individual companies products in and pushing others out. Example VP fuels, Full Throttle energy drinks, Goodyear tires, Army...and many more.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 01:14 AM

Quote:

Because of Goodyear's commitment to the T/F tires they have been granted the rights to the P/S tire which is a much more profitable venture. What they could do is tell M/T or any of them that if they want to be an NHRA tire supplier they should have to do ALL THE TIRES not just the cream puffs. They wouldn't know where to begin.

sorry Bob but tires or anything else the NHRA does not buy shouldn't be any of their business. next they will be telling you what motor parts you have to run. and the list will go on.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 01:17 AM

Bob,

its a strange notion because 1) NHRA is a "not for profit" organization and..
2) its an organization that was formed and supposed to support the racers, not support itself.

Theyve lost touch with reality and each move takes them further and further away from it. Theres a line in the Mickey Thompson release that says something to the effect...

“Eliminating the NHRA from our schedule will allow us to focus our attention and resources on faster growing segments of the drag racing community."

that says alot.

also for their (NHRA)'s latest move read this:

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8981&Itemid=6

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 01:28 AM

Quote:

sorry Bob but tires or anything else the NHRA does not buy shouldn't be any of their business. next they will be telling you what motor parts you have to run. and the list will go on.

Tony, they already do list what parts are and aren't accepted.

One thing you guys gotta remember, like it or not the NHRA is a multi-million dollar business. Deals are made that some may not like, but some things may be pushed by the sponsors themselves and not necessarily the NHRA. Do I like all their deals and decisions? Of course not, but they are still the best game in town.

Just for sake of argument, the IHRA isn't doing much better at keeping sponsors/racers/fans happy either. Notice lately what flag is flying over Norwalk? That speaks volumes to me. It's a tough world out there.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 01:34 AM

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8981&Itemid=6

HEIL NHRA............my way or no way
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 01:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And the track's janitor cuts you out of the vehicle with a hack saw in say-24 hours. Paramedics know how to save lives but probably don't know much about extracting injured drivers out of race cars. I'll take the NHRA any time over any of them. They are in business to make money. Why is that such a strange notion?

one of the tracks here went to nhra now Ihra and the only thing I seen change was with the license you need to run. Didn't nhra change that they don't cover anything if it's not a nhra santioned event.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I see your point Tony and if goes any further I will agree with you. The tire deal is this simple. Without Goodyear there would be no T/F racing at it's current level. No other tire company wants anything to do with T/F.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

Bob,

its a strange notion because 1) NHRA is a "not for profit" organization and..
2) its an organization that was formed and supposed to support the racers, not support itself.

Theyve lost touch with reality and each move takes them further and further away from it. Theres a line in the Mickey Thompson release that says something to the effect...

“Eliminating the NHRA from our schedule will allow us to focus our attention and resources on faster growing segments of the drag racing community."

that says alot.

Jeff,

I'm not defending any NHRA practices other than the Goodyear exclusive tire rights and only for the reason I explained. M/T knows that there will be a lot of their tires run on NHRA tracks. We run M/T's exclusively and every track we race on is NHRA sanctioned. M/T is out nothing by pulling out.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:25 AM

Quote:

"In an ongoing effort to assist in curtailing escalating costs associated with the operation of professional nitromethane category vehicles (Top Fuel and Funny Car), NHRA has implemented the following testing limitations for the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season."

Something wrong with this move?

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:42 AM

although what you quoted attempts to disguise the ugliness of its policy; reading further brings you to this part I dont care for:

NHRA’s definition of testing includes, but is not limited to, any run or attempted run conducted at any track whatsoever, whether or not it is an NHRA track or NHRA-sanctioned track. Exhibitions, match racing, licensing attempts, and the like, are considered testing and will be subject to this testing policy.

although it wont affect me, I certainly dont like any organization telling people what to do on their own time. Thats a dictatorship and its a dictatorship thats slowly enslaving those that want to drag race.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:43 AM

The problem was both MT and Hoosier were working on a tire for PS. MT was informed from a customer that read it on NHRA's web site that their tire was no longer legal for PS. Maybe a would have been nice.

Note to self: buy some hacksaw blades.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"In an ongoing effort to assist in curtailing escalating costs associated with the operation of professional nitromethane category vehicles (Top Fuel and Funny Car), NHRA has implemented the following testing limitations for the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season."

Something wrong with this move?

Yes there is when they tell you, YOU cant match race,
they dont own the company

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 03:19 AM

Quote:

Yes there is when they tell you, YOU cant match race,
they dont own the company

It states that was implemented after talks with some of the major teams. I'd guess that Force would want limited testing when he gets 4 hits at the track to everyone else's one or two.

I do have to wonder how they can enforce it. What's stopping a team like Schumacher from renting US41 during the week when no one is around? 41 will hold a fuel car and is out where Christ lost his overshoes.
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 04:14 AM

Quote:

NHRA’s definition of testing includes, but is not limited to, any run or attempted run conducted at any track whatsoever, whether or not it is an NHRA track or NHRA-sanctioned track. Exhibitions, match racing, licensing attempts, and the like, are considered testing and will be subject to this testing policy.

and the hidden agenda! no more NHRA teams running IHRA anymore, THAT would be considered testing! Which would exclude guys like Dan Wilkerson from running IHRA FC (if they have it) as that is Tim's team.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

and the hidden agenda! no more NHRA teams running IHRA anymore, THAT would be considered testing! Which would exclude guys like Dan Wilkerson from running IHRA FC (if they have it) as that is Tim's team.

No fuel or alky F/C in IHRA anymore.

It would affect guys like Clay Millican.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 04:40 AM

Coming soon the the NHRA..... the DOT

(dragster of tomorrow)

All powered by a GM SBC crate engine, powerglide and ford 9" rear end......

Official NHRA "Stickers" will be 19.99 each. Stickers are available in Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Olsmobile, Dodge, and.....wait for it....Toyota scripts. This will allow racers to "run the car of their choice"

Glad my NHRA membership ran out during CLintons first term.

Oh, and to comment seriously....as a former Goodyear employee...I can assure you, once goodyear has paid for the mold that makes a tire, weather its a street tire or T/F slick, everything after that is profit. Yeah they have to pay someone to remove the tires form the mold and such, but, whats a T/F tire cost? Alot more than the $29.99 tires for a Ford festiva. This came from Goodyear execs.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 04:43 AM

Quote:

although what you quoted attempts to disguise the ugliness of its policy; reading further brings you to this part I dont care for:

although it wont affect me, I certainly dont like any organization telling people what to do on their own time. Thats a dictatorship and its a dictatorship thats slowly enslaving those that want to drag race.

I agree that this is a little overstepping.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 06:47 AM

Quote:

Paramedics know how to save lives but probably don't know much about extracting injured drivers out of race cars

paramedics are trained on how to extract injured people from wrecked vehicles, (so are basic responders and EMT's).
each incident that a paramedic comes to, either on the street or at a track, the basics of taking someone out of that vehicle are the same.

you think because lets say a dragster wrecks they wouldnt know? you call for the equipment it shows, you cut bars and they come out the same as if it was a passenger sedan on main st.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 07:33 AM

Thats true, except the track medics have more training. Nitro and race fuel safety, fire system tech., extracting from a rail or any roll cage system is different than cutting A, B, or C pillars. Race car accidents leave drivers more prone to higher speed injuries. More careful to neck and back possible injuries.

They (NHRA), HAVE to be aware their numbers are really going to start shrinking. Both racers and spectators IMHO.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 11:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that this is a little overstepping.

Ya THINK???

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 11:56 AM

Quote:

that was my point about the tires. pretty soon they will have spec cars like nascar. oops they already do. it's just a show now.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:09 PM

IMHO competition among suppliers is a good thing regardless of the product. Goodyear can charge what they want for the tires now. I hope NHRA is not painting their selfs into a corner.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:28 PM

Its very simple, Goodyear use our tires or else, And the big wigs of NHRA go along with it, Kind of like the kid in the playground who takes his ball home when he can`t play. What kind of decisions do you expect from the head of an association making over $700gs a year? Its all about the $$$ for him and his cronies.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Paramedics know how to save lives but probably don't know much about extracting injured drivers out of race cars

paramedics are trained on how to extract injured people from wrecked vehicles, (so are basic responders and EMT's).
each incident that a paramedic comes to, either on the street or at a track, the basics of taking someone out of that vehicle are the same.

you think because lets say a dragster wrecks they wouldnt know? you call for the equipment it shows, you cut bars and they come out the same as if it was a passenger sedan on main st.

Probably don't have the same equipment as the Safety Safari has right on hand. I would rather crash at an NHRA race than anywhere else.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:36 PM

Quote:

Its very simple, Goodyear use our tires or else, And the big wigs of NHRA go along with it, Kind of like the kid in the playground who takes his ball home when he can`t play. What kind of decisions do you expect from the head of an association making over $700gs a year? Its all about the $$$ for him and his cronies.

Remember that this is just the professional classes. All the sportsman classes are exempt and can run any tire they like. My guess is that the professional racers are on board with this as it cuts their costs.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 02:39 PM

Probably don't have the same equipment as the Safety Safari has right on hand. I would rather crash at an NHRA race than anywhere else.

I have never seen a safety safari at any race I've
raced at. They follow the big events. But the places
I race has a medical team, I can deal with that
Posted By: Bill_LBSR

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 03:27 PM

NHRA sanctioning or no NHRA sanctioning the tracks I race at will have the same safety crew......

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

no they probably dont, but i can tell you that its only a phone call away, just like as if you were in an accident on the street.
Just because youre going down an NHRA track does not mean its safety safari at top end.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 06:58 PM

I think you are only going to see the 'NHRA SAFETY SAFARI' at a national event; any other show would be the normal track safety personnel, whomever they may be or with whatever level of safety equipment or training. I have seen that vary from one guy and and an old ambulance on test and tune days, to a full boogie safety deal with the Jaws of Life and other goodies at a divisional points meet.
Posted By: G&S Perf.Engs.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/22/09 10:27 PM

I generally don't post but I have run national events in the past at NHRA tracks .After the pro classes are done racing did you ever notice the safety safari personal disappear

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 01:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Remember that this is just the professional classes. All the sportsman classes are exempt and can run any tire they like. My guess is that the professional racers are on board with this as it cuts their costs.

Please explain to me how this move could cut theirs costs. GoodYear is now the ONLY game in town for PS tires...which means NO COMPETITION.. which means THEY control the prices. This also means the teams can't cut their own tire deals anymore. How can this ever be a good thing?

You must work for either NHRA or GoodYear or both.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 02:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please explain to me how this move could cut theirs costs. GoodYear is now the ONLY game in town for PS tires...which means NO COMPETITION.. which means THEY control the prices. This also means the teams can't cut their own tire deals anymore. How can this ever be a good thing?

You must work for either NHRA or GoodYear or both.

Do you know what the price of a Goodyear P/S tire is? Do you know that you cannot switch one type/style for another without a lot of testing and potential chassis/clutch changes? Do you know how much it costs to test these cars? My semi knowledgeable guess is that competition in the P/S tire market would result in MINIMAL price difference. The tire cost for pro stock cars is a minute portion of their budget. My guess is that you don't have any idea what I'm talking about. If this rule results in a hardship it would be the tire company's and not the racer's.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 02:59 AM

Wasn't it Goodyears track side politics that led Max Naylor to Hoosier tires? Seems he felt he was treated as a "second class" citizen by the now official tire of Pro Stock.

BTW Max Naylor qualified #1 at the US Nationals, and the Mid South Nationals on Hoosiers .

Personally I think they need to leave the tire market OPEN to the racers.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 03:08 AM

Old blurb from the Competition Plus web site:

Quote:

Naylor was saying at Indy that the Goodyears were probably still slightly better than the Hoosiers but it didn't matter if you couldn't get the good ones. He didn't talk about a specific contract or agreement but kept stressing how grateful he was to Hoosier for working with him and helping him out.

He mentioned going to the Goodyear trailer to buy tires and seeing all the names written on the stock - none of those names being his. He described the tires available to him as being mis-matched pairs and odd sizes.

"This is my living and I have to use the best tools possible. I can't race with table scrap tires. I hold no malice towards Goodyear but have to do what is necessary to get my program to the highest level I can."
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

Wasn't it Goodyears track side politics that led Max Naylor to Hoosier tires? Seems he felt he was treated as a "second class" citizen by the now official tire of Pro Stock.

BTW Max Naylor qualified #1 at the US Nationals, and the Mid South Nationals on Hoosiers .

Personally I think they need to leave the tire market OPEN to the racers.

All markets need to be open.
Posted By: BERTS DART

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 07:45 PM

Now NHRA says the fuel cars can't run in an IHRA race without a loss of points!! They already tell them where to but the fuel, now where to run! What next?

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Now NHRA says the fuel cars can't run in an IHRA race without a loss of points!! They already tell them where to but the fuel, now where to run! What next?

There really aren't any top NHRA cars that run IHRA except maybe Millican. Bruce Litton may come out a couple times a year, but he is not a viable points earner anyway. That part is just a tempest in a teacup.

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 10:38 PM

There really aren't any top NHRA cars that run IHRA except maybe Millican. Bruce Litton may come out a couple times a year, but he is not a viable points earner anyway. That part is just a tempest in a teacup.

Even if they did or didnt run IHRA, do you think its
right for them to say they cant?

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/23/09 11:57 PM

Quote:

or even earn money match racing.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/24/09 02:06 AM

I am begining to think NHRA may be getting a little too big for their britches. Thats unamerican!
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/24/09 02:09 AM

I am a man and partakeing in danger feels great! This is why we drag race, wrestle aligators, rock climb, sky-dive, bungee jump, hunt, ride motorcycles, drive vipers pedal to the metal on a lonely road, water skiing, blow things up, snow boarding, sleding, ride in barrels over water falls, play Ice hockey, look over the edge of a volcano, become cops, fly stunt planes, smash mail boxes, wrestle other dudes, box, fight fires, start fires, throw spray paint cans in the fires, break land speed records, join the army and go to war, break the speed limit, snow sking, ride roller coasters, play foot-ball, build sky-scrapers, walk tight ropes from one sky scraper to another, chase women, dive in a swimming hole in a unknown river...

I am a man and enjoy danger don't make safety rules about every thing under the sun, it takes all the fun out of it! If raceing was %100 safe who would want to do it? That is why I get tired of the NHRA and why outlaw tracks are more fun. If I want to put a blown nitrous injected 500 inch hemi in a lebaron convertible why not? Give me a waiver to sighn I will have a huge on my face when I am done

Re: Anyone else following the NHRA / M/T debacle? - 01/24/09 05:58 AM

Quote:

Raf, I have already stated that I don't think it's good, and is pretty much unenforceable to the big money teams. The not being able to race IHRA is relatively meaningless.
© 2024 Moparts Forums