Moparts

4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition +

Posted By: 440farmer

4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/27/15 02:48 PM

Had trans out and I'm putting it back in
Found super shifter in the barn so trying to deside which?
had competition plus and shifted fine...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/27/15 03:05 PM

I think the only difference is the reverse lockout.

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/27/15 03:10 PM

I think the super shifter has a shorter throw -looks like where the stick is bolted on is further from the main bolt- (pivot point)??
it goes in a 64 belvedere w/ long stick I think it would work
might just try it?
Posted By: 383man

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/27/15 05:20 PM

I remember I used the Super Shifter back in my 4-speed Dart that I bracket raced back in the late 70's and early 80's. Even back then I was one of the few stick cars bracket racing as most were auto's. I really liked the Super Shifter and could really slam the gears fast using the Super Shifter. I remember a guy in a Camaro came up and asked me what I ran after I beat him (no 60 fts back then and individual time cards) as he had run 11.88 on his 11.88 dail in his auto Camaro. I ran 12.18 on my 12.18 dail in my 4-speed 340 Dart and beat him as it was a semi-final round. But you did not get reaction times or 60 ft times back then. And that was using that nice Super Shifter which I really liked. Oh and Pro eliminator was 11.00 to 12.49 at that time. Ron
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/27/15 05:23 PM

I've never used a Super Shifter in a B body, in the 1967 and later A bodys you have to cut the trans crossmeber to clear the shifting rods so they don't rub on it work Look at your rods first to see if they are straight with reinforcing sleeves on them lke the A bodys have, if so you may have the same issues on yours scope Hopefully not up

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/27/15 05:36 PM

Could'nt you use the super shifter with the comp. rods
looks like the holes in the shifter levers are the same??
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 01:24 AM

The Super Shifter is probably the best H-pattern shifter ever made. You shouldn't have any problem using the HD linkage in B-body because it mounts in front of the crossmember.
Gus beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
The Super Shifter is probably the best H-pattern shifter ever made. You shouldn't have any problem using the HD linkage in B-body because it mounts in front of the crossmember.
Gus beer
My bad blush, I have worked and built early B body 4 speed cars years ago, Gus it correct on this up I'm getting ready to build and assemble a 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe, changing from a slant six with three on the tree to a 440 with a NP833 O.D. trans and OEM cheap shifter out of a pick up or van confused OP, maybe I'll be in the market for the shifter you don't use work If you want to sell it, that is up
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 10:51 AM

The super shifter is VERY close in measures to the oem bbody shifter.
So it can be used in the stock position and with stock shift rods if bushings/reducers are used in shifter arms.
I would say that comp + and super shifter are similar in design but super shifter seems beefier and will probably last longer.

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone
I'll try the super
Cab i'd like to hold onto the spare--alot of buddies & I swap parts all the time

Now I have a problem with high gear not engaging when lever is in detent??
had the trans face plated and seems like the high gear plate is too far away--to close to head gear??
goin to have to call liberty tomorrow mornin.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
Gus beer
My bad blush, I have worked and built early B body 4 speed cars years ago, Gus it correct on this up I'm getting ready to build and assemble a 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe, changing from a slant six with three on the tree to a 440 with a NP833 O.D. trans and OEM cheap shifter out of a pick up or van confused OP, maybe I'll be in the market for the shifter you don't use work If you want to sell it, that is up

I know a guy with a bunch of b-body four speed stuff in his attic...
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By 440farmer
Thanks everyone
I'll try the super
Cab i'd like to hold onto the spare--alot of buddies & I swap parts all the time

Now I have a problem with high gear not engaging when lever is in detent??
had the trans face plated and seems like the high gear plate is too far away--to close to head gear??
goin to have to call liberty tomorrow mornin.

Do you have the correct 3-4 non-offset shift fork?

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 05:45 PM

Yeah got a couple sets
I think I'm ok on the shifter
but I got bigger fish to fry trin to figure out this high gear thing!

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 05:53 PM

Are you useing the offset 3-4 fork?

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 06:14 PM

did'nt know there was such a thing

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/28/15 07:45 PM

Stock wont work. Liberty have them.

Re: 4 speed shifter-- super shifter or competition + - 06/29/15 05:01 PM

Just got of the phone with Liberty