Moparts

Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get?

Posted By: modelmakerinc

Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 01:50 PM

As the title says, I am going to use 1/4 turn Fasteners on my Coronet bracket car, but I find them to be pretty expensive for what that are.

Where is the best place to get a good deal on a couple dozen, also how many used is a matter of opinion but what is a good amount across the front, sides and back of the hood.

Fiberglass lift off from AAR for a 67 Coronet.

Thanks in advance. Henry
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 03:08 PM

Any of the big race car shops have them. I usually call RJ for 90% of my stuff like that. How many you will get lots of debate. I ususlly go with on a really lightweight/thin hood 1 every 12" or so. If its a really thick/rigid hood I have gotten by with 16" or so apart.

http://www.rjracecars.com/
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 03:19 PM

You can get them at Summit... also.. they make them in
different lengths so know what you need(might buy a couple
of different lengths to test).. I do about the same with
12" to 14" spread... but hood design will make the difference
if air can get under the front lip
wave
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 03:34 PM

Without buying several lengths, is there a way to determine the length before purchasing?
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 03:53 PM

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/82270/10002/-1
This is what I used .
I did have to buy one more dzus and plate for the back of the hood behind the scoop.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By R5P7Duster
Without buying several lengths, is there a way to determine the length before purchasing?

One way of figuring out the length Dzus you need, is to first install the mounting plates and drill the holes in the hood. Then, using the "butt end" of vernier calipers, measure from the top surface of the hood to the middle of the spring.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 06:15 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't think about needing different lengths so guess I need to have my hood in hand before I buy the fasteners.

OK, now to wait on the hood being finished and shipped.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 06:32 PM

If I was mounting a new hood today I think I would do some reading up on these. I kinda like this idea.

http://www.q-latch.com/index.html
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 08:13 PM

On typical race thickness glass body panels, I use a #6 ejector, .500 long and a #6, .375 high spring. Lots of options on the spring tabs/mounts. If your parts are thicker street weight or thin carbon, you may want to adjust a step one way or the other on the fastener length. There are tools to adjust the spring height once it is installed in order to fine tune the tension on the fastener. A good investment even for one hood install. Unless you are buying in quantity, expect to pay $2.30 to 2.60 or so for the buttons and .70 to 1.00 for springs. 17 buttons on my hood. Little more than a foot apart on the sides and the back. Little less than a foot across the front.

A little far for you to drive or I'd tell you to swing by and pick some up.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
If I was mounting a new hood today I think I would do some reading up on these. I kinda like this idea.

http://www.q-latch.com/index.html

That is what I have on the front of my Rampage.. it was a lift
off hood but I built it as a hinged set up and a pair of those
on the front... I've only been 105 mph so far but they are
holding it down nicely
wave
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Dzus fasteners---how many? where to get? - 06/24/15 11:45 PM

I get my zues fasteners from Behrent's performance warehouse, they are Allen head, you can get them in alum or steel, I like them way better than the standard zues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums