Moparts

Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ?

Posted By: dart_73_br

Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 01:24 AM

Hi guys,

I want you to share your opinion and experiences on spark plug wires.

IMO the less resistance on the wire better.

So, no talk about "suppressing" and so on. The less ohm/feet better. Is it rigth?

Sure we have to consider somethings about eletromagnetic field created on some wires that could interfer on eletronics stuff like EFI.

What do you think? Which set of wires do you use? Any proven difference on dyno have been showed changing wires ?

BR,
Fernando
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 01:27 AM

I run a MSD 6AL so I use Taylor Spiro Pros. Other wise I would run solids.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 01:34 AM

from what i have been hearing Firecore 50 wires are the way to go. hes a member here sunroofgtx?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 01:46 AM

Apparently there`s more to wires than just resistance I`m no expert but you`ll be hearing all about it shortly I`m sure. I`m using the firecore 50`s and they seem to be working well.

Attached picture 4957370-domtrack.jpg
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 03:45 AM

I just bought a set of Firecores for my street car and will replace my MSD wires with them next year in my street/strip car. And yes, you should be getting a short written demonstration soon, Hi Rick
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 05:32 PM

I run the firecores on my small block and they work great.
I plan on EFI for my Big Block
Quote:

Surely we have to consider somethings about eletromagnetic field created on some wires that could interfer on eletronics stuff like EFI.

I am interested in this question as well.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 05:57 PM

Quote:

Surely we have to consider somethings about eletromagnetic field created on some wires that could interfer on eletronics stuff like EFI.

Run some solid cores and turn on the radio...

I just run quality spiral cores and have never had problems. Unless you're racing I doubt you could tell the difference between 500 ohms/ft and 50 ohms/ft wires. The difference in voltage drop across the wire compared to the spark gasp is very small. If you run the old carbon core wires at 10,000 ohms you can feel the difference.
Posted By: hemi471

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 05:57 PM

For the most part its alot of hype, not more than a couple horsepower between any wire.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 06:12 PM

I agree. Comparing like quality will reveal little difference. We use Moroso but the Firecores are also very good.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 06:22 PM

i like the MSD's but may try the Firecores when the MSD's get old, if the price is about the same.
Posted By: dart_73_br

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 06:33 PM

I donīt want to hear a Radio on my Dart... just the sound of the engine...

Iīm just worried about the interference on my EFI circuit.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 06:40 PM

if I could run solid wires I would. but Mallory says not to with their hyfire box so I wont. I would run them with a chrome box though without hesitation.

As for resistance, just remember this, before the plug fires, there is an OPEN circuit. Infinite resistance. Once the arc has sparked, and the wire starts conducting, the resistance goes down.

theres a lot of complicated math and engineering behind a spark plug firing but to make it stupidly simple, lets assume its as simple as ohms law.

if you do, you can see the difference in spark voltage between a 50 ohm wire and a 500 ohm wire is negligable at a given current. E=ir so figure a 1 amp current (not sure what it is in the real world but 1 amp is close enough for this calculation). lets use a firing voltage of 20,000v (just picked it out of my butt)

with a 40ohm wire, that would give you the voltage at the plug as 1amp=(20,000-x)/40 so x=19,960v

using a 400ohm wire, you get 19,600v firing at the plug. not much of a difference in the real world.

With that said, im sure I made a mistake somewhere and someone more experienced than me will correct me.

I will say that am running the firecores and like them alot
Posted By: 64ssmax

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 07:05 PM

dart_73,

PM jake68, he has great knowledge on this issue!
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 08:05 PM

Firecores, Sunroofgtx great to deal with! Bought a set last year.

Attached File
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 08:12 PM

I'm running Moroso Ultra40's. So far, the best wire I've ran on my Fury. I tried Accel's, MSD's, & Taylor.

I did have a set of the Firecores when I first built the engine. But, to be fair, I shouldn't have used them for the break in. The heat from the headers killed them & caused the terminals to seperate from the wires when I tried to the change the plugs. I do want to try them again now that it's broken in, but I need to wait for the Ultra40's to go south first.
Posted By: Runner

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 08:24 PM

on my junk, ive ran solid core jacobs, ive also ran msd's, taylors, mallory sidwiinders, and moroso wires and there wasn't a lick of et difference between any of them.

if i wanted a good blacvk wire id most likly go with the firecores to support them, but i like red wires so i typically run moroso's
Posted By: MOPARCHAS

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/19/09 11:11 PM

Firecore here great wires and price

Attached picture 4959193-av-4387.jpg
Posted By: ts racer

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 03:59 AM

has anybody done any runs or dyno tests with different wires?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 04:09 AM

Quote:

So, no talk about "suppressing" and so on.

there's a reason the electronics manufacturers warn against using solid core wires and it's not to sell you supression wires. anyone that's been in the automotive field long enough has seen problems due to either bad wires and/or solid core wires when using electronics. for a magneto or old breaker type ignition they're fine but for anything else with electronics you need a quality supression wire. imho there's darn little if any difference between any of the quality wires out there and installation is more important than the wire at that point. how many factories can possibly be making the bulk wire anyhow? there's a lot of "branding" and marketing going on.
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 04:17 AM

Quote:

has anybody done any runs or dyno tests with different wires?

There was a thread a couple months ago where one of the engine builders here ran ... I think... moroso's against the firecores. The firecores made a few more hp.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 05:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So, no talk about "suppressing" and so on.

there's a reason the electronics manufacturers warn against using solid core wires and it's not to sell you supression wires. anyone that's been in the automotive field long enough has seen problems due to either bad wires and/or solid core wires when using electronics. for a magneto or old breaker type ignition they're fine but for anything else with electronics you need a quality supression wire. imho there's darn little if any difference between any of the quality wires out there and installation is more important than the wire at that point. how many factories can possibly be making the bulk wire anyhow? there's a lot of "branding" and marketing going on.

You are correct. You'd be suprised on how little manufacturers there really are. One thing is for certain, you can only get our Firecore50 through us. We are the sole sellers of our type of core. We even manufacture wires for several private labels out there. There is a big difference between most of the wire types out there. Take Taylor for example. Ours and MSD's core is three times as thick as Taylors. Its a good wire, but Dyno guys who have run comparisons have seen the difference. Ultra 40's are the closest comparison to the quality and performance that our 8.5mm Firecore50 wire delivers, and there are distinct EGT difference's there, ours being higher.. It's also very important for a consistant spark with the terminals and type of crimps used. Most manufacturers out there use a fold and crimp method. It's not near as safe to the core as the dual crimp that MSD and we use. Also, the material used determines how long the terminal is good for.. Brass and steel terminals conduct great, but their constant on and off of the plugs cause them to loosen up on their "snap" fit. Stainless steel and a tensioned stainless steel lock are by far the surest way to maintain the snap, as used by us.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 08:23 AM

as you mentioned the boots and terminals are oh-so important as well as routing which is often overlooked. while most of the wires today can withstand the ignitions output insulation puncture from high voltage is always a concern. can you comment on who is making the wire without divulging any proprietary info and/or who Moroso gets their wire from?
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 02:19 PM

I believe Moroso makes their own - in house factory.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Spark Plug Wires - Whats the deal ? - 01/20/09 04:06 PM

Yes, in Dayton...
© 2024 Moparts Forums