Moparts

Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon

Posted By: Jeepmon

Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/17/15 04:51 PM

Basically what I'm looking for is how to install a wing seperate from the trunk lid, so that I dont have to remove the wing to fill up the fuel cell...

Thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/17/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By Jeepmon
Basically what I'm looking for is how to install a wing seperate from the trunk lid, so that I dont have to remove the wing to fill up the fuel cell...

Thanks

Mine opens with the trunk lid.. I dont have to touch the wing
or the supports
wave

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/17/15 10:13 PM

Thanks Mr P...

The problem I see is the trunk lid on the Duster actually turns down and ends just above the tail lights... Can I get away with mounting the wing to where its not attached to the trunk lid?

Posted By: earthmover

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/17/15 11:09 PM

I'll try and post a picture of mine tonight ..comes off with the deck lid..side stays on the car ..
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 03:00 AM

Mine is attached to the trunk. I don't have any problems putting gas in. Here's a rear and side view. I believe it to be made from Ed Quay.

Posted By: earthmover

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 06:08 AM

I'll get pictures of mine posted ..got in late. .deep pockets can I see the front of your car please. .trying to get a idea of how my car should be painted around the grill area..gray or body color ..thank .beautiful car
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 08:32 AM

Thanks
Not gonna happen without some custom work. You have two choices. First is make the deck lid two piece, so that the wing and turn down part stay on car and front of deck lid comes off. Second is put a filler hatch in the deck lid

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith

Thanks
Not gonna happen without some custom work. You have two choices. First is make the deck lid two piece, so that the wing and turn down part stay on car and front of deck lid comes off. Second is put a filler hatch in the deck lid

The filler hatch s what most go with if they cant open the
deck lid without hassles
wave

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 04:59 PM

How much support does the wing need? Since the deck lid is fiberglass and held on only by dzus fasteners, would I need to brace under the wing for the downward forces?

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 05:10 PM

How much support does the wing need? Since the deck lid is fiberglass and held on only by dzus fasteners, would I need to brace under the wing for the downward forces?

Size of the wing and angle of attach would dictate that... I
have just the stock deck lid but the wing mounts near the
back radius which adds strength... then I have the strut rods
going up to help carry the load
wave
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 05:17 PM

Couple of my Dart....

Attached picture 179971_10150864472371044_1104334172_n.jpg
Attached picture 10638183_298312573685718_798248149_n.jpg
Posted By: Eric

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By jim sciortino
Couple of my Dart....

That car is sick....as a matter of fact all the cars that are posted in this thread are sick.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 06:54 PM

An Ed Quay wing that is trunk lid width, not full bodied is pretty simple to ad fuel. Pull the four pins that attach it to the bumper and pull the decklid. Not a lot more than you do now honestly..If it is to much work to pull those 4 tiny pins to put fuel in it then just ad an access door. Maybe just take the thing to the track and run it.....
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 07:23 PM

As mentioned there are LOTS of ways around this. I put a hatch on my Duster lid because now that I am on alcohol I add fuel every round. I wouldn't have to but I do. Any car with an 8 gallon fuel cell can go rounds without fuel. My Daytona had a very small cell an even with the 572 I could go 3 (1/4 mile) passes. The new owner is putting in a bigger cell. Lots of cars have the cell up front and a small hatch to help this issue. My small tire car has the cell on the right side of the trunk and a hatch so if there was a big spoiler you didn't have to reach across it.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 10:11 PM

Two test hit and out first round...... do you really have to worry about adding fuel?

....and Jim, that Dart is stunning!
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/18/15 11:36 PM

Need Moar pics of the black 70 Jim! Baaaaaaad!
Posted By: charger410

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 01:17 AM

Really nice cars there.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 01:25 AM

Yup, some dang nice cars in this post !
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By earthmover
I'll get pictures of mine posted ..got in late. .deep pockets can I see the front of your car please. .trying to get a idea of how my car should be painted around the grill area..gray or body color ..thank .beautiful car
Hope this helps.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By Eric
Originally Posted By jim sciortino
Couple of my Dart....

That car is sick....as a matter of fact all the cars that are posted in this thread are sick.
Thank you......and I agree about the cars pictured.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Two test hit and out first round...... do you really have to worry about adding fuel?

....and Jim, that Dart is stunning!

Thanks, J...

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Need Moar pics of the black 70 Jim! Baaaaaaad!
I don't have too many but here's another wing shot and a random.

Attached picture 1896998_10204025083521202_7699396840637104634_n.jpg
Attached picture 309280_3146835329045_192252134_n.jpg

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/19/15 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY

You make a very good point....

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/21/15 04:22 AM

Now here's a wing.

Attached picture flow bench no 2 010.jpg

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/21/15 07:27 PM

Now thats a killer wing
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/21/15 08:01 PM

Sorry to say..........
but on the black one, IF the wing is at the same angle as the decklid........

there's no downward force or advantage. It will actually create a vacuum behind the car.......more drag.

It just looks that way from here, just hoping I'm wrong.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/21/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By Dean_Kuzluzski
Sorry to say..........

there's no downward force or advantage. It will actually create a vacuum behind the car.......more drag.

Not really true.. the air WILL be coming off the roof line but where
it falls off is the factor... so is it 2" or 10"... it WILL hit that
wing and create a down force.... when I did the wing on my car I
had to go to the wind tunnel guys to find out the facts... they
had smoke footage of my car(at a much slower speed) but it still
gave me some ideas where to put the wing.. I started a bit strong
then softened up the angle and gave it more length.... day and night
difference on the handling of the car
wave
Posted By: nitrousr

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/23/15 10:58 PM

our wing on the duster is bolted to the body right under the trunk lid using button head bolts. theres a space on the inside of the lid where the bolts clear easily. only thing is I wish we had put the cell further back in the car.

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 12:48 AM

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Look at that engine!!!!!!!

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By nitrousr
our wing on the duster is bolted to the body right under the trunk lid using button head bolts. theres a space on the inside of the lid where the bolts clear easily. only thing is I wish we had put the cell further back in the car.

NICE... drool

Is that a custom fab'd wing.. home built or ???

Also, have you noticed any improvements in the car?
Posted By: nitrousr

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 02:17 AM

We built it in our own shop. Cant really say how well it works as we are slowly sneaking up on the power but last pass was nice and straight 154 mph.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 05:14 AM

custom built.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 05:38 AM

Sorry to say..........

Incorrect. A wing is NOT all about "attack angle", that in fact has little to do with it. The length of the wing and the height of the wickerbill is what matters. As far as functionality, the one on the Black Dart is by far the most functional as shown here, with the one on the Black Demon a fairly close second

To the OP, if you just want a wing to HAVE a wing..........sure, mount it down there low so you can open the decklid. Won't DO anything, except possibly slow you down, but you will have a wing. Few typical doorslammers NEED a wing........mostly for looks.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 01:05 PM

Sorry to say..........

Incorrect. A wing is NOT all about "attack angle", that in fact has little to do with it. The length of the wing and the height of the wickerbill is what matters. As far as functionality, the one on the Black Dart is by far the most functional as shown here, with the one on the Black Demon a fairly close second

To the OP, if you just want a wing to HAVE a wing..........sure, mount it down there low so you can open the decklid. Won't DO anything, except possibly slow you down, but you will have a wing. Few typical doorslammers NEED a wing........mostly for looks.

I can say that my car picked up 3 mph and it was day and night
difference on the handling at speed... my car has to have it
wave
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 05:17 PM

The Dart

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 05:30 PM

I ask for advice, open my ears and eyes and try to learn as much as I can before making my decision... But the last sentence has me confused...

I've heard and read that a wing doesnt necessarily offer a great deal of down force, but it does direct the air coming off the rear in a consistent and predictable manner, therefore if the car can run a decent triple digit number, then a wing is beneficial for both mph and consistency...

Monty, are you saying a doorslammer that is capable of running 150+ will not benefit from a wing?

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 05:57 PM

If you go with a wing keep chute mounting position in mind but that's good material for a new post.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 06:22 PM

A lot of monkey see, monkey do with wings on cars. DO NOT copy the wings on Pro Stocks, they are not a safe wing for the average person. Pro Mods on the other hand use a safer design even though most of them still use to small a size of sill plates.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/24/15 07:15 PM

I ask for advice, open my ears and eyes and try to learn as much as I can before making my decision... But the last sentence has me confused...

I've heard and read that a wing doesnt necessarily offer a great deal of down force, but it does direct the air coming off the rear in a consistent and predictable manner, therefore if the car can run a decent triple digit number, then a wing is beneficial for both mph and consistency...

Monty, are you saying a doorslammer that is capable of running 150+ will not benefit from a wing?

MOST typical doorslammers, don't need wings. A car like MrPs can be an exception, because has a very short wheelbase and at it's base, is NOT an aerodynamic car to start with. Aero is about frontal area and how the air "flows over" the car. So a wing slapped on something just to have one, may or may not help. With a shorty boxy car like MrPs, the wing simply gave it more area in the rear, which helped down track traction, because of downforce. Your Duster already has a pretty substantial rear area for downforce and a short low mounted wing could possibly do more to HURT the air coming off the rear than help. But to answer the question directly, does YOUR car NEED a wing at 150 mph........NO.

And yes, wings CAN offer HUGE amounts of downforce. Someone said don't pattern a wing after modern Pro-Stocks.........why would that be. Just because Pro-Stocks seem to have downforce issues is NOT the fault of the wing, it's how they set them up. Modern Pro-Mods have the same exact wing these days and go much faster and need much more downforce. That wing WILL deliver it, all you have to do is set it to do so. One of the pro-Mod cars I used to work with was an ex Pro-Stock car. If it was a little loose on top end, all it took was wickerbill to fix it. No attack change, nothing but wickerbill. A 1/4" of wickerbill would slow it down 3mph and the shock graphs looked like you set a tank on top of it at the top end. Pro-Stocks are only loose because they set them up to BE that way, because minimum downforce that keeps tires glued is the fastest.

Our own Outlaw Drag Radial car runs 180mph in the 1/8 with NO wing and doesn't need one. We are not slipping the tires at the top end, so why hang weight on it for the "look"..........unless that's just what you want

The wing on Jimmy's Dart was cool and mostly for WOW factor. That is a VERY aggressive wing. The car would be better off with one like is on Jim's Dart pictured, but admittedly would not look near as cool. Now, did Jimmy's wing "work"? don't know would have to see some data. But most "fuel" wings are designed to be high in the air, not mounted off a decklid. So Jimmy's wing MAY have done a LOT, or nothing. Data would tell you. But it is VERY possible, that mounted that high, off that flat deck lid, it actually created lift. Again, data would tell you for sure

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/25/15 01:06 AM

Sorry to say..........

Thanks Monte.....

I trust Mark Markow at MRC when it comes to functionality when building my junk and as an added benefit, he does a good job with appearance too.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/25/15 02:15 AM

The wing on Jimmy's Dart was cool and mostly for WOW factor. That is a VERY aggressive wing. The car would be better off with one like is on Jim's Dart pictured, but admittedly would not look near as cool. Now, did Jimmy's wing "work"? don't know would have to see some data. But most "fuel" wings are designed to be high in the air, not mounted off a decklid. So Jimmy's wing MAY have done a LOT, or nothing. Data would tell you. But it is VERY possible, that mounted that high, off that flat deck lid, it actually created lift. Again, data would tell you for sure

It use to FLY coffee

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/25/15 08:32 AM

So what is the purpose of a wing? Is it for downforce.. is it for cutting thru the air in a reliable and consistent manner? and lastly... when is a wing needed?

It sounds like 90% of the cars at the track are just for show.. confused

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/25/15 02:42 PM

The wing is FOR downforce, if you NEED it. Most wings you see on average cars at the track are not needed. Just like half the cars you see with wheelie bars have no scuff marks on the wheels, unless it is from loading the car..............LOL!!! They are RACE cars though, so they need to LOOK like one..........LOL!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I think a NICE wing looks good on most cars, whether you need it or not. But if you put one on there, in my opinion do it right and it least make it LOOK like it would work if you needed it and is not some after thought. There are two really nice examples in this thread. In my opinion, if you don't do something like that, don't bother........but that's only MY opinion, it's YOUR car, so do what YOU like

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/26/15 02:15 AM

Not a Duster but VERY nice

Attached picture wing.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/26/15 02:57 AM

Just like half the cars you see with wheelie bars have no scuff marks on the wheels, unless it is from loading the car..............LOL!!! They are RACE cars though, so they need to LOOK like one..........LOL!!!

....thinking of that second analogy and Whitedart's small block Dart standing it on the bumper on one of the very first passes out with the new mill. Bet he was wishing it would have had sticks out back on that pass whether he needed them or not. Back to your regularly scheduled wing discussion....

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/26/15 03:11 AM

In the end it's your car and do what you like. If you like the way a wing looks then by all means ad one. Just don't expect some miracle result, cause it wont happen.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/26/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Not a Duster but VERY nice
Yes it is.......notice the easily adjustable wickerbill

Monte
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/26/15 04:59 AM

Mine has a wicker,so it is functional. I honestly did it for the look because I like it.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/26/15 07:11 AM

I'm not interested in "looks".. I'm more concerned with functionality.. Back a few years ago, someone told me that a wing wasnt functional until you reach speeds in excess of 135 mph.. At that time, I was 20 mph too slow in my street car, but those words stuck with me...

Now that I've upgraded cars, I've wondered how to attach a wing and still have easy access to the fuel cell and thats why I started this post.. Now that everyone has educated me on the real purpose of wings, I have no desire to just make my car "look" faster..

So thanks everyone for your opinions... You've talked me out of the idea and saved me several hundred dollars.. now its time to focus on making the car lighter... smile
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/29/15 04:29 AM

Jeepmon,
I'm in the same boat as you. My Duster will be a155mph car and I was looking to add a wing as well. I want to make sure the car is stable at speed
I was going to make one like the one on the Cuda pictured above.
After reading through this post I'm a little a apprehensive now because I know Monte and Al have a lot of experience with making cars fast.

So now do I need to spend the time and money on a wing?
When is it really needed?
I plan on upgrading my engine program to run A/Gas 7.60 Index and at that ET the car should run speeds of 170+, do I need a wing then?
Please HELP!

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/29/15 05:16 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and share what information I believe to be correct..

If you're car will spin the tires at the top end of the track, then you might need a wing... but I will let Monte or Al chime in here with their opinion
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/29/15 05:57 AM

I think at the 150-180 Mph range you need something on the front to keep the air going OVER the car and not under it. That to me is where guys get stability.

Re: Wing pics of your Duster/Dart/Demon - 06/29/15 04:41 PM

Nothing wrong with style statements either smile

Don you have seen the little ole heads up car, was there a wing there?? There is an air dam up front however. Which we will be redoing at years end along with destroking the little SB smile
© 2024 Moparts Forums