Moparts

Intake machining question!

Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Intake machining question! - 06/07/15 06:14 PM

Hey Guys, I'm reassembling my motor after freshening it up and had the heads resurfaced for the second time. Now the intake needs to be machined because the port and bolt hole alignment is off. Basically the intake is about .030 on each side of the head to high, and this is with the gasket in place. What is the procedure to figure how much of the intake surface to remove on each side. Do I take half of the amount .015 off each side and see how it fits? What is the correct way to do this?

Also can anybody recommend somewhere in Washington state to get this done? Thanks Matt
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Intake machining question! - 06/08/15 03:32 AM

Rather than try to explain it and do all the typing, here is a link that will do give you the formulas.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/intake-mill-c.htm
Posted By: steve660

Re: Intake machining question! - 06/08/15 05:15 AM

If its a single plane intake just look down the runners and you should see how much its off . Also set in on without gaskets and if it looks close have it milled whatever the gasket thickness is.
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Intake machining question! - 06/08/15 05:28 AM

Mopar SB manual says that it's .0095 for every .010 taken off the head surface. If you can mill the intake side of the head, that is better so the intake isn't matched only to those heads.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Intake machining question! - 06/08/15 01:08 PM

I am sure you are aware of it, but if you mill the intake, then it can only be used for that combination. I would try to double up on gaskets or a combination of gaskets to get the thickness you need, if possible. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Intake machining question! - 06/08/15 05:55 PM

Check the port alignment and the manifold fit at the top and bottom of each corner.If it looks good just remove a little of the hole with a diegrinder to get the bolts to clear before you cut the manifold.If you have a good alignment and clamp on the gasket you shouldn't have an issue.Try this first before you cut.Put a thin layer of grease on the gaskets,bolt the manifold down,then remove it and you will see if you have good port alignment and clamp.
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Intake machining question! - 06/09/15 05:15 AM

Thanks for the help! Matt
© 2024 Moparts Forums