Moparts

Line bore in Conn??

Posted By: CJK440

Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 01:25 PM

I got some pro gram caps on order and need a shop who can do the install and main bore/hone.

Any suggestions for a competant shop that can turn it around in a reasonable time?
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 01:31 PM

Billy the Kid in Torrington

Eastwoods in East Hartford
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 01:43 PM

Call Dave Miller at AutoMachine in windsor!
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 01:45 PM

Chris:

Most competent machine shops can successfully perform this task. If you don't get anywhere, call me and I can hook you up.

MB

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 01:49 PM

I'm sure you are right Mike but I'm a little gun shy since on my first go around, a supposedly "reputable" performance shop in my area figured they could just line hone the alum caps to size and gave me the block back with egg shaped main bores.

My fault for not doing my homework ahead of time.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 02:28 PM

Chris,

Are you close to Weston Machine? ( or close enough ?)
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 02:31 PM

I'm going through the same thing on my Mopar mega block that was all screwed up from the factory. Had all sorts of bad machining including undersize cam housing bores, bad machining in the main bearing registars, caps that didn't fit correctly. I took it to one shop under a friends recomendation because my normal guy is slow and they aligned honed it but it didn't help so now I'm taking it to my guy who I know will do it right and having program caps installed. It is not as easy as it would seem.
I would call Rick a Crankshaft Inc. at 860-829-1002 in Berlin
Or Bob at Bobs auto machine at 860-582-8164 in Bristol
You can also try RPE in Harford at 860-953-1342, Have not used them but they build the fastest Turbo buick V6 engines in the country so he must know his stuff.

Whatever you do, Don't get caught up in this crap that you must take it to someone that knows mopars because to a good machinest, a hole is a hole, a bore is a bore and doesn't matter what make it is and they will have the tools to do the job correctly.
Allan G.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/18/09 05:37 PM

may be a little far for you , but i have been going to Olsen Engines in Nyack NY for the last 22 years. He is Meticulous and very fair...He has my parts /block there now, as im freshening my engine...845-353-0500. He built the motor in Steve VanAughs white mustang that runs the F.A.S.T. classes
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/19/09 12:02 AM

Billy in Torrington should be able to fix you up. I assume he's still there.
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 01/19/09 01:24 AM

Try Precision Automotive in Simsbury.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 04:29 PM

I had a little delay but ready to go now.

Whats the average cost to fit 4 Pro-Gram steel caps and bore & hone them to size??
Posted By: moper

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 05:26 PM

Larry's. He's a advertiser here, does all Tom's work, does all my work, has the best equipment, and the guys to poerate it... No offense to the others, I know Bobby and Mike at Northeast, Mr. Miller, the guys from Eastwoods, the old man from Precision (now retired), and I've seen Billy's handiwork. I know most of them personally and liek tham. But I drive over an our to reach Larry's because I dont let the others touch my stuff. Precision still does some good work. The rest, don't bother with the level you require.

Edit: Turbo... You know Rick (Smilie??) How is he doing? I was a student of his back when he taught nights at TCI. (bring that up and he'll more than likely wince), and I have a ton of respect for him. I didnt realize he was doing anything more than cranks tho... He does the cranks for Larry's and it's been years since I saw him...lol. I dont know Bob in Bristol.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 06:29 PM

I called Larry's since I seen him as a board sponsor. No in house line bore, they gave me a couple names. RPE and Crankshafts Inc.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 07:39 PM

Bob at rpe is very good. He welded my W5's when I melted them and his work was the best looking part of those heads!!

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 09:17 PM

Quote:

Edit: Turbo... You know Rick (Smilie??) How is he doing? I was a student of his back when he taught nights at TCI. (bring that up and he'll more than likely wince), and I have a ton of respect for him. I didnt realize he was doing anything more than cranks tho... He does the cranks for Larry's and it's been years since I saw him...lol. I dont know Bob in Bristol.

That is the same Rick. He is the best. If you watched him work than you know why. He is so precise and detailed. This is why most shops around take there cranks to him. He is installing the crossbolted program engineering caps now on my pre-world products megablock. My block was messed up very baddly from mopar performance. I took it to other local people and it was to much for them to handle.

Bob Bruno in Bristol is good also. He doen a lot of roundy round stuff but also very detailed in his work.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 09:18 PM

RPE is pretty backed up and refered me to E&G.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 09:20 PM

Quote:

I called Larry's since I seen him as a board sponsor. No in house line bore, they gave me a couple names. RPE and Crankshafts Inc.

As stated in my previouse post, Rick at crankshafts is great but a little slow. He has my block on the machine now and doing the pro-gram cap install.

RPE from what I here does good work. They service all the fast turbo buick guys around so he must know his stuff. I don't have any experience with him .
Allan G.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 11:43 PM

Quote:

RPE is pretty backed up and refered me to E&G.

WOW!!!
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/10/09 11:47 PM

never used weston but hear they're top notch from anyone that has

http://www.westonmachine.com/

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/11/09 12:03 AM

How about Danbury Competition Engines and Joe Lapine?

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/11/09 01:56 AM

Turbo... He taught me all about that eye for detail. I helped him out when he first left Dicky Peidmont (now Dave Miller's shop, but back then, Rick was assembler of Automachine) and opened the place in Berlin. He's never afraid to tell it like it is too. I've got to make some time to visit him. Still on four rod rd, right?

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/11/09 02:20 AM

Quote:

Turbo... He taught me all about that eye for detail. I helped him out when he first left Dicky Peidmont (now Dave Miller's shop, but back then, Rick was assembler of Automachine) and opened the place in Berlin. He's never afraid to tell it like it is too. I've got to make some time to visit him. Still on four rod rd, right?

Still at the same place. He moved from one bay to another but in the same building. If you decide to stop in, ask him about my Hemi and what he had to do to make it right. There are a lot of people around that can't do an align bore correctly. A lot of room for error and out of round bores. Rick can make it right.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/11/09 04:47 PM

Oh, I've noticed. I;ve had to send blocks back a couple times to other "pros". One tried to convince me that the bearing will conform to the shape, so why was i concerned? That comment was from a guy not mentionned above...lol.
Posted By: monte442

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 02/12/09 01:19 PM

Pettit Racing Engines in New Milford.(860)354-3339
ask to speak to Mike.
Posted By: rook440

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 11/17/09 09:55 PM

Dave Millers a PUKE and I wouldn't let him work on an Import!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 11/18/09 12:09 AM

Norman at Precision Automotive is good. He and my brother did my W8 and he also does Emilio's (Pinks Duster winner) engine.

Charlie Weston is as good as it gets in the country. He has also done machine work on my stuff.

Re: Line bore in Conn?? - 11/18/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

Dave Millers a PUKE and I wouldn't let him work on an Import!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please explain? Since you felt the need!
© 2024 Moparts Forums