Moparts

oil pan question for big block

Posted By: tex013

oil pan question for big block - 06/06/15 10:03 AM

Will the Mancini 6qt oil pan #884K be ok for a street strip 440 ?
Motor is in a 65 Belvedere with late k frame , has gone 11.19 in 1/4 . Currently has deep centre sump , just tore it up
Car is mostly street , at least at moment . Maybe runs 3 or 4 times a year .
It would appear to have a stock volume oil pump.
I did do a search but it doesnt hurt to ask current thoughts. Cab isnt this 1 you like ?
I am not sure the milodon road race sump is cost applicable at this time , though i use and recommend them
Thanks

Tex
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/06/15 03:32 PM

If that is Mancini version of the 6 quart shallow sump 1970/71 Hemi 440 6 pak oil pan it is the one I used in my Duster with good results up I use it on all non all out race motors that it will fit in the cars that motor is going in up It should work in yours scope
Posted By: GY3

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/06/15 03:46 PM

I used the 440source 7 quart pan along with a stock pump and it had the nasty habit of sucking the pan dry at the end of a 1/4 mile run or after a high speed run. I would see the light flicker and click it off. My Cuda used to be worse with a 5 qt. pan.

It will fit in an early B with minor clearancing of the K frame on the right front.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/06/15 05:09 PM

I went through this a year ago for my Duster street car. I went with the 7 quart cheap ebay pan, it works great but it's 2.5" from the ground.

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/07/15 04:03 AM

Yes Cab
it lists as the 70/71 hemi pan
thanks

Tex
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/07/15 05:23 AM

Just a thought, but if your friend tore up the first sump, that is already half the cost of the road race sump. The next sump will make up the second half. At this point the cost of the road race sump is the difference between the Mancini pan and the road race sump. I believe with either option you are looking at a new pickup as the old sump was a deep one, so that cost will be incurred either way.

I am firmly in the road race sump camp myself.

Of course, you have probably already thought of my points.

The road race sump did great last weekend and so far (fingers crossed to keep it that way) no dents.

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/07/15 05:49 AM

David ,
I am with you as i run a road race pan. But as noted i am not paying - and i have to convert to Aussie peso. So US500 becomes AUS650/675 -ouch
The hemi pan and pickup is US170 - AUS225 from Mancini

Tex
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: oil pan question for big block - 06/07/15 05:57 AM

Wow, the difference has gone up!!! I see your dilemma. Good luck!
© 2024 Moparts Forums