Moparts

Best way to clean Cometic head gakets

Posted By: drag440

Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/17/09 10:22 PM

I am getting ready to reuse a set of Cometic head gaskets that are coated with Copper Coat. How is the best way to clean them without hurting them? I have them soaking in my parts washer now. Can I just use Scothbright? will brake cleaner hurt them? I am also planning to use them on the same block, but with a different set of heads. I will be going from iron Stage IV's to alum. Indys, is this OK?
Posted By: JUST_N_TIME

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/17/09 11:29 PM

I just used brake cleaner sprayed on a rag - wiped the old copper coat off - resprayed and reused.
As for going from iron to aluminum - your on your own.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/17/09 11:35 PM

i use them dry, per the instructions. I washed them with a mild degreaser then soap and water. I dried them with a paper towel, made sure there was no lint on them and re-used them
Posted By: KOS

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 02:55 AM

you can go from iron to alum just spray them again before reuse......

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 06:02 AM

I've never reused head gaskets before, this is new to me. I can see reusing them on the same block with the same heads etc., But reusing them with a totaly different head is spooky.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 07:30 AM

Quote:

I've never reused head gaskets before, this is new to me. I can see reusing them on the same block with the same heads etc., But reusing them with a totaly different head is spooky.

That was my thought when I went to new heads on my current motor. I didn't want to take the risk of them leaking with different heads so I just bought new ones. But, I kept the old ones just in case I ever get brave and decide to re-use them at some point.
If it were me, I would buy new ones rather than risk them leaking once they are in the car.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 09:24 AM

i reused a set of cometics with copper coat 9 times before i experianced a failure. was a lil dissappointed, i was hoping to get 10!
Posted By: KOS

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 01:55 PM

Quote:

i reused a set of cometics with copper coat 9 times before i experianced a failure. was a lil dissappointed, i was hoping to get 10!

same here where on 6 reuses on a sbc no failures and 3 on a sbm.
Posted By: Hyper Henry

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 03:16 PM

I herd you should drill the rivets out and take them apart and coat each layer with copper spray. Is that correct I am getting ready to reuse a set as well. Only second resuse for me.

Derrick
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 03:49 PM

Tough call...

I have used my Cometics 3 times on the same block, 13.5 CR, NA. I just used kerosene. I didn't take them apart, but I did rinse between them, then dry, then cooper coat top and bottom only (not between).

The first build was together for 2 years with my aluminum Stage VI heads, the second only a few months (cam broke) with aluminum Indy 440-1 heads, and now they have been on for the 3rd time since July 2008 with the same Indy heads.

It is weird reusing them. Especially when some of that thin Viton coating comes off when cleaning them.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 05:50 PM

Quote:

I herd you should drill the rivets out and take them apart and coat each layer with copper spray. Is that correct I am getting ready to reuse a set as well. Only second resuse for me.

Derrick

correct!

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 08:57 PM

I am going to try to reuse them. I had to go to them because 300hp and up NOS would blow the 1009 Felpro's. I changed to the Cometics with the same tune and never had another problem. They are a little high at $150 a set, but if they live and can be reused maybe 10 times they are CHEAP!!!
Posted By: RonP

Re: Best way to clean Cometic head gakets - 01/18/09 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Derrick

correct!

I just used this process with mine today at BG's place. We will coat each layer.
© 2024 Moparts Forums