Moparts

Shopping for race trailer

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 07:38 PM

Looking at an aluminum ATC Raven. It is ATC's economy model. It is pretty lightweight even compared to a Featherlite. Anyone have any experience with them? Didn't find much on this model online.

Also looking at Wells Cargo but it seems they are built at the same factory as Haulmark just re-branded.

Any other brands to look at? Looking for a nice mid-range trailer. No Gold Rush, T&E ..etc
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 07:55 PM

I don't know much about them, but ProLine trailer in VA looks like they have some good prices. www.prolinetrailersales.com
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 07:57 PM

ATC is a VERY good trailer. We use one for the heads up car and it is worlds better than many of the other brands out there IMO.

If you are looking at aluminum trailers that will narrow the field up quite a bit. FWIW I have had very good experience with my Cargo Mate as well.
Posted By: grncpe

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 08:13 PM

I have a all alum.28' continental cargo, made by Forrest river. Very light, nice trailer. I have been looking also to get a new 30'. If you may consider a used one mine is a 2011. Not trying to sales pitch but the prices are all over the place on them.depends on the options you want on them.

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 08:44 PM

My first choice is a used Featherlite but used ones are not much of a deal and don't want to pay what they want for new one. I don't need a large trailer. My car is small(tube frame Colt)and will not weigh much. Just need to haul to the track and storage....my shop is full!!
I was looking at this ATC 22' Weight 2600lbs. My main worry is durability.

Attached picture atc.jpg
Attached picture atc2.jpg

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 08:55 PM

If it helps there are thousands of miles on the ATC used for the heads up car. It has traveled all over the US and Canada the last 5 years. Full of gear to be able to race the car. The car is 3000lbs with he usual tools, spare parts, generator etc. It is a 305 model ATC with the "dirt track" car ramp floor option.

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 08:57 PM

I feel your pain on used trailer pricing. I am looking for a 26-28' used stacker and the prices are almost what I can buy a new one for. Will likely end up with a new one but in the mean time will keep looking for a used one.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 08:59 PM

A friend has one, and it's been good for several years now.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By 440Jim
I don't know much about them, but ProLine trailer in VA looks like they have some good prices. www.prolinetrailersales.com

I'm pretty sure ProLine are pretty low end Jim.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/19/15 11:18 PM

Look at the options first and "mid-range" would be a good choice. Despite having a light Colt, don't get anything less than 5,000 lb (each) axles with bigger, higher load range tires, and go a bit longer than you think you'll need. I've always had all-steel trailers, but ATC would be high on my list if I ever went to an aluminum trailer.

These guys are local to me, but they can offer some advice, pricing and can get trailers manufactured closer to where you live if you decide to order a new one. Several examples are on their site.

Robin Hanger's Best Price Trailers - Holly Hill, FL
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/20/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By Eric
Originally Posted By 440Jim

I'm pretty sure ProLine are pretty low end Jim.

Proline might be one of the least expensive trailers, but they sell trailers made by multiple manufactures.. I picked up an "Outlaw" trailer from them and so far, I have a few thousand miles on it and I still love it..
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/20/15 03:28 AM

I own a 28ft ATC it has been cross country many times loaded with race car golf cart tools and spares. It even made 5 trips loaded with furniture front to back when I moved to TN from CA. In the tens of thousand miles I have used it the only problem I ever had was a blown tire. They are a great company to deal with. No matter what trailer you buy get the 8 bolt axles and biggest brakes you can. You will never regret it.

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/20/15 05:30 AM

I will have to see if the bigger axles are available on the model I am looking at. Dealer told me that not all options are available.
Also, we are already at the top end of the budget with a new ATC. I guess I would rather have a higher end bare bones trailer vs a lower end with a ton of options.
Posted By: biff426

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/20/15 02:40 PM

Too bad your not looking for something bigger I have a 32 foot Nash-they went out of business but the quality is really good all aluminum loaded with options I would make a killer deal on it's a 2012 I just don't need or have room for it anymore regardless of what kind you buy get something bigger then you think you will need they always seem to fill up quick
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 05/20/15 03:55 PM

I have to agree that the ATC trailers that I have seen are very nice.

I just ordered a Rance Lightning all aluminum 28'. I did a bunch of homework on them before buying, and they seem to be the most bang for the buck in an aluminum trailer, considerably less $$ than an ATC or Featherlight. Once I added the options I wanted, like 6000 lb. axles with 16's, an aluminum floor and rounded front corners, the price gap closed up a bit, but was still several thou less.

I don't have it yet, so I can't give any real review on it. Good luck!
Posted By: V10nacuda

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/29/15 02:33 AM

I'm looking for a 32 or 34 foot with some extra Heights. Vintage trailers was one of the ones I was considering. Isn't a member on here it is a dealer for them?
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/29/15 03:00 AM

Best price I could find on the Vintage trailers was from Proline in Indiana... (same website as above..)
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/29/15 04:06 AM

Personally I wouldn't buy anything less than a 24'. Way better resale than a 22. I would also go with the 16" wheel option even if it's the 5K axles. Much better tire selection.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/29/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Personally I wouldn't buy anything less than a 24'. Way better resale than a 22. I would also go with the 16" wheel option even if it's the 5K axles. Much better tire selection.

iagree I have a 24' Haulmark and wish it was a little bigger. I can cram my golf cart in front of the cuda w/ no trouble, but it's real close. With the road runner, the golf cart won't fit.
Posted By: farmboy

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/29/15 03:35 PM

Atc and Intech are both made in Nappanee Indiana, and are top quality trailers. I chose Intech only because my dealer sold both, but had slightly better deal with Intech. Can't go wrong with either one.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/30/15 08:42 PM

I bought a 26' MTI aluminum trailer. It was $9,950 before options. Dirt cheap for an aluminum trailer. Normal quality level. It was over $20,000 with all the options but don't buy a stripper. Get every option you want so you will be happy with it. Get every cabinet, you will need them. They got me the financing.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/31/15 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By RTSE4ME
I will have to see if the bigger axles are available on the model I am looking at. Dealer told me that not all options are available.
Also, we are already at the top end of the budget with a new ATC. I guess I would rather have a higher end bare bones trailer vs a lower end with a ton of options.

Don't cut corners on the axles and tires, 16" wheels and heavier axles should be mandatory, even if it's aluminum.

22' foot would be a mistake, you should get a 26 like the guys above are telling you. I have had 4 enclosed trailers. twocents Good luck.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 07/31/15 03:34 PM

I just got finished going through the suspension on mine. Bottom line these trailer manufacturers build these trailers as cheaply as they can. I had a shackle fold up on me and found that all the shackles had been essentially tack welded. Also found they used plastic bushings. When I first got my trailer I was wearing out tires especially the right rear. Took it to a shop where they found the axles out of alignment. When you buy one insist on getting the dealer to do an alignment. I'd also have them install new bushings with greasable bolts.
Posted By: chubbywiggins

Re: Shopping for race trailer - 08/03/15 07:41 PM

Pro-line Trailers down in Virginia sells high end trailers as well. I bought one of the basic models like this one last year. http://www.prolinetrailersales.com/specials/8-5x24-enclosed-trailer-ii

While I was there, the salesperson took time to show me around, they had Vintage, Haulmark, and Loaded up Pro-line 28's. Be sure to let them know the options, they can fit about any budget. www.prolinetrailersales.com
© 2024 Moparts Forums