Moparts

piston ring filer

Posted By: Moparnut426

piston ring filer - 01/17/09 03:07 AM

What is the best ring filer too buy for the money. I have about $100 bucks to spend.

Kasey
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 03:29 AM

I don't know about the best but I do own a hand filer from Speed Pro and a electric one from Pro Form Both do the job but the electric one is way faster and easier Be careful on the electric one and when switching from the Moly top rings to the second cast iron ring, the cast iron rings are way softer than the top moly rings and it is real easy to make the gap to big Take your time on this procedure especially if you haven't done a set already on either type of ring filer File a little and check it, and and do that again until you get what sizes you want
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 03:43 AM

I have the $50 ProForm manual one
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

It works for me as a hobbiest. Usually only takes about 20-30 turns of the handle per ring.
The base is nice and sturdy, but it could be a bit longer to help support the center for large bore piston rings?
Posted By: sonoramic413

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 04:36 PM

I just clamp a dremel in a vise and use the side of one of the little cut-off wheels. Just go really slow and easy to keep the gap square.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 04:49 PM

This is the one that I use, its cheap but I dont
need a electric one, I only build a couple engines a year.
I have it mounted on a plate that I chuck up in a vise,
plus it has a nice platform for the ring to set on

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 07:05 PM

I need one, but have always got by with a File clamped into a bench vise
Posted By: topside

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 08:45 PM

Summit gets them from our factory. I'll sell you the same thing for $46.95. We have a lifetime warranty, even on the grinding disc.
You can look us up on eBay (racecar tools) or see the website at area51groupllc.com.
Ring grinders, valve spring testers, height mics, the best rod-bolt stretch indicator on the market, rearend setup tool kit, leakdown testers, cylinder head stands...discounts on multiple-tool orders, too.
You won't find better bang for your buck.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 10:01 PM

I have the same one as Mr P-Body has, but got mine at Jeg's years ago, it's all I will ever need.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: piston ring filer - 01/17/09 10:15 PM

The one Mr P body has can also have your drill hooked on the end if you stack some stuff under it so it's at the same height as your drill laying on it's side. I had a Moroso on years ago powered by my drill. Having both hands to hold the ring makes it easier.
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: piston ring filer - 01/18/09 02:42 AM

Quote:

I have the same one as Mr P-Body has, but got mine at Jeg's years ago, it's all I will ever need.

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: piston ring filer - 01/18/09 02:48 AM

bought mine from Ed Hamburger's for 340/360 only...paid less then 20 bucks..

I guess it has been awhile.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: piston ring filer - 01/18/09 03:03 AM

A little help full trick, if you use a hand crank filer, count the number of cranks to get the tolerance needed. Then repete for the rest of the rings. As said above, molly is harder than cast so more crank revolutions will be needed.

© 2024 Moparts Forums