Moparts

440 rods,low cost but good ones

Posted By: moparborn

440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/28/15 03:08 AM

What rods are available for a 6.76 rod,2.375-2.75-1.094
at a good price but not cheapies?
I have late model stockers,I could send them out to be worked over but I do not think they would hold up in a stroker.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/28/15 05:36 AM

Call Tom Molnar at 616-940-4640 and see what he offers and then try Scat, Ohio Crankshaft CO. and then Summit and Jegs. I'm sure Summit handles and sells the Scat line as well as several other companys that sell forged steel H beam rods for Mopar BB scope upI've used several different brnads of imported Chineze rods for BB Chevy in BB Mopar stroker motors, no problems so far shruggy
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/29/15 04:52 AM

Call wiseco and see if there clearance ones are still available they where under $250 for the h beam ones when I bought my small block ones a few months back also stroker crank for $399 I was real tempted to redo 73 truck motor with such good deals
Posted By: 440sourcedotcom

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/29/15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By moparborn
What rods are available for a 6.76 rod,2.375-2.75-1.094
at a good price but not cheapies?
I have late model stockers,I could send them out to be worked over but I do not think they would hold up in a stroker.

Depends if you are looking for a floating or pressed pin. If you are using a pressed pin, we carry a nice set that uses 7/16" capscrews and is much stronger than the factory option, at only $249/set with free freight.

See them here:

http://store.440source.com/Connecting-Rods-RB-with-Capscrew-bolts-Set-of-8/productinfo/200-1132/
Posted By: BradH

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/29/15 09:23 PM

Not directed at ANYONE, but just pointing out that "cheap" rods only stay "cheap" when they don't cost you additional $$$ to have them corrected for poor quality control during machining.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/29/15 09:30 PM

iagree All of the cheaper rods need to be checked thoroughly by your machinist. All brands of rods should be checked regardless, but the lower priced rods like Eagle, Scat, etc., will most likely need to be resized right out of the box due to poor machining at the factory.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/29/15 11:27 PM

"LY"
Posted By: Randy..

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
"LY"

Seen many 600 Hp BB with old LYs that lived for many years.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 03:25 AM

Scats are 425 and are available with the big pin
Posted By: moparborn

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 03:33 AM

Full floating would be nice and convenient,but pressed will be fine.
Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: Alchemi

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 06:59 AM

The 440 source ones look pretty good, anyone know what is the weight on them?

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
"LY"

As long as they've been reconditioned with GOOD rod bolts. Otherwise, they're a lit fuse.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By a9sec70cuda
iagree All of the cheaper rods need to be checked thoroughly by your machinist. All brands of rods should be checked regardless, but the lower priced rods like Eagle, Scat, etc., will most likely need to be resized right out of the box due to poor machining at the factory.

They ALL need to be sized (not resized) OOTB. Saying it's poor QC is a misconception.

They all come honed so they can fit the smallest .990 pin on the market. There are several .990 pins on the market none of them are .990".

If the smallest brand pin is say .989" and the biggest is .991", all it takes is a rod hone to make one part# cover all .990 pins.

Kevin

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By Twostick
Originally Posted By a9sec70cuda

They ALL need to be sized (not resized) OOTB. Saying it's poor QC is a misconception.

They all come honed so they can fit the smallest .990 pin on the market. There are several .990 pins on the market none of them are .990".

If the smallest brand pin is say .989" and the biggest is .991", all it takes is a rod hone to make one part# cover all .990 pins.

Kevin

The big ends aren't even round on some of the "budget" rods, not just that the pin may be tight. So, it's not incorrect to say that there may be resizing involved, too.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 06:06 PM

Agreed but when people are complaining about cheap Chinese junk it is usually because they had to open up the small end.

I think the laws of mass production dictate that some rods will occasionally have big ends out of spec.

Kevin
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 440 rods,low cost but good ones - 04/30/15 06:24 PM

My experience is the big end is the issue and needs to be RESIZED. The mating surfaces of the cap and the rod are cut tapered and puts the bolt in a bind when torqued. This causes the I.D. to vary .001" or more just by loosening and retorquing the bolts. Throw a straight edge across the mating surface and you'll see daylight on the inside.
I've personally seen this on Eagle and Manley H beams.

I agree w/ what BradH said also...even on the ones that are cut straight, the big ends often aren't round.
© 2024 Moparts Forums