Moparts

Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper?

Posted By: Scotts71chall

Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 04:17 AM

I got a fiberglass front bumper for a challenger from the "best place" and the left side top corner is away from the fender about 1 1/4"
The bottom corner is touching the body.
Right side is perfect.
Back bumper is perfect.
Sent him pictures, first he said there is nothing wrong with it.
Then the owner said that happens when he takes them off the mold, nothing can be done about it, its a race car part!
I got another one from him, it was the same, he took that one back, I pay shippin.

Can I heat it up somehow and bent it back into shape?

I could have gotten one for alot less $$ But everyone said this is the "best place" worth the extra $$
What makes me mad, he uses the word Quality in his name.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 04:31 AM

sorry to hear that not sure how you would fix it. If its who I think it is I am surprised I have a complete front end deck lid and bumpers and they where perfect.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 04:54 AM

I`ve had good success heating the area with a propane torch,you MUST hold it in the correct position untill cool. Fixed quite a few glass parts this way.
You may have to repair the gel-coat afterwards tho.

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 05:22 AM

Ya, seems like his abody stuff is really good.

I will maybe try heat and see what happens, the surface finish damage can be fixed.
Thanks!
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 05:27 AM

It depends on how deformed the bumper is ! ... it could be a bad mold and then the part could have been pulled before the part was properly cured.

So his stories changed ? ... it is a race-part is NO excuse. BTW ... how much was it and what did it weigh?

There is a write-up on this place in the newest Mopar Action. Kind of says it all.

Now heating up a part ? ... if it is really REALLY "green" it might work.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 02:28 PM

The only way I see fixing it is to cut it(the upper
and lower walls) clamp it on a straight place the
way you want it and glass in the back side. It will
make a difference where you make your cuts.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 02:33 PM

Hello,

Sounds like he did pull it out of the mold way too soon. If you bought it with cc I would send a complaint in and probably get your money back. Word will get around on this type of crap. 1 1/4" is a joke on a bumper.

Damon

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 04:54 PM

"Sent him pictures, first he said there is nothing wrong with it.
Then the owner said that happens when he takes them off the mold, nothing can be done about it, its a race car part!"
-------------------------------------------------
Ya, he admitted theres no other way to get it off the mold.??? There is like a wave just down and around from the bad corner and it is sprayed flat black in that spot like a poor cover up, the rest is nice gelcoat. Second one i bought was the same or worse.

Cost $170 with shippin, I seen another for $79.
Weight only like a pound or so.

I did not get to fit it for a year after i bought it, chassie and body work, that is why he did not have to refund me, my fault.

"It a race car part" Some race cars are better than show cars.

I will try to fix, "quality"

Here is your new windshield but you will have to polish it before you can see thru it!!
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 06:56 PM

Quote:

Ya, he admitted theres no other way to get it off the mold.???

When did he use this line ? ..... before or after "its a race car part" ?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/15/09 08:14 PM

Quote:

sorry to hear that not sure how you would fix it. If its who I think it is I am surprised I have a complete front end deck lid and bumpers and they where perfect.

you were lucky I was looking at mine the other day (E body) and wondering if any fiberglass parts ever fit right. most fiberglass parts I have ever messed with have needed work to get any where near right.

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/16/09 12:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you were lucky I was looking at mine the other day (E body) and wondering if any fiberglass parts ever fit right. most fiberglass parts I have ever messed with have needed work to get any where near right.

I know of a number of people with his stuff and it has all been very nice.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/16/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know of a number of people with his stuff and it has all been very nice.

who's stuff

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/16/09 12:18 AM

I am talking AAR which is who I believe he is eluding to.
Posted By: ProStock1320

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/16/09 03:34 AM

"What makes me mad, he uses the word Quality in his name."

...as in AARQualityfiberglass dot com

Maybe the bumper is fine and it's the Chally that's off?
Posted By: hot67cuda

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/16/09 04:48 AM

We have used heat lamps and clamps they will move with time.If you think about it fiberglass hoods warp from the engine heat.Thats how me and some friends have done ours.Yes mine was a high doller hood.It was wraped on the corner.It took all most 2 weeks.

Re: Fixing deformed fiberglass bumper? - 01/16/09 03:34 PM

bingo
Thanks to all, I will try heat and then cutting.

But if the back bumpers are prefect, you would think he would try alittle harder on the front that that you can see and that you already no is a problem.
Hopefully he will help the next guy after seeing this thread.
© 2024 Moparts Forums