Moparts

Mopar Small Blocks

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Mopar Small Blocks - 04/13/15 05:46 PM

Just wondering if anybody on the West Coast has machined ready to go Mopar small blocks?
The reason I'm asking is I see Summit Racing has Blocks for Ford and Chevy.
I'm looking for a 360 block.
Thanks!
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/13/15 07:23 PM

Stock block or R3?

Watch out for a guy in California, burns people $4,000 at a time on blocks
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/13/15 09:31 PM

Brian at IMM is a "Left coaster" , a great guy in spite of it, though
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/13/15 10:02 PM

Stock block
I guess I can hit the local machine shops and see what they have.
I was just wondering if a big company was doing all the blocks Mopar, Chevy and Ford for Summit Racing.

I don't need to spend $3000.00 for a new Mopar Block to build a 408 that makes 550HP-600HP. smile

The Ford block is $750.00 ready to go which is a pretty good deal.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/14/15 01:31 AM

You won't find too many shops that have one in machined condition, ready to go. Cuts down on their options to much. Bet you can still find one pretty easy in a local yard. That's where I would look.
Posted By: cortsGTS

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/14/15 02:30 AM

Summit has small blocks ready to drop in they claim
Posted By: cortsGTS

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/14/15 02:33 AM

Summit blocks are only 430hp It says up 430hp
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/14/15 05:56 PM

You're joking, right?

All of the machined blocks are used blocks and they will handle however many horsepower a 360 block will handle. That seems to be in the 600 - 650 range, IIRC.

For all intents and purposes there are no new aftermarket Mopar smallblock blocks out there.

I'd second the advice to give Brian at IMM a call. He's a board member and builds some mighty fine engines. He might turn out a block for you or know someone who he trusts. The thing is, in machine work you usually get what you pay for. You may need a block for a grocery getter and one machined with less precision may work just fine for you.

A few years ago I was pricing some machine work and I asked two shops. First was a really good street engine shop. Second was a race engine shop. The race engine shop price was something like 3 times as expensive.
I decided I didn't need that sort of precision. But the shop is busy all year long doing work for people who do.

R.

ps: This whole "horsepower rating" thing is for the birds. It's a lot more complicated than that.
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/14/15 07:54 PM

Wasn't there a machine shop in Central Illinois, Chenoworth Machine or something like that, that sold "block-in-a-bag"? Not that they are on West coast, but might be simple to ship. Are they still around?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/15/15 04:07 AM

Dizuster runs close to 800 HP through a stock filled 360 block with a stock cast crank.
Doug
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/15/15 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By Streetwize
Brian at IMM is a "Left coaster" , a great guy in spite of it, though

The happiest people in the U.S. are in Cali... laugh2
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Mopar Small Blocks - 04/15/15 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By Biginchmopar
Just wondering if anybody on the West Coast has machined ready to go Mopar small blocks?
The reason I'm asking is I see Summit Racing has Blocks for Ford and Chevy.
I'm looking for a 360 block.
Thanks!

Everything we do is custom, but we can move pretty fast... panic
© 2024 Moparts Forums