Moparts

balancer selection help please

Posted By: dirtybee

balancer selection help please - 04/12/15 11:20 PM

Hi everyone, I'm shopping for an aftermarket balancer as an upgrade from stock on my 500" stroker low deck street and strip 70 coronet. It has gone 11.70 @ 114 so I want something good. I'm looking at ATI superdamper, looks like 917122E fits a stock timing cover but pulley alignment is gone, it is a steel shell with a 3 ring design, is there an off the shelf pulley to fix this for water pump and alternator? Otherwise it's 917470E which is an aluminum shell with 2 not 3 ring design, looks like it fits a stock pulley system, does this one sacrifice performance for fittment? I also looked at ATI Rattler, looks like a solid product, any experience with one? Then Summit has a street/strip 18.1 sfi for $150 and a race sfi for $300, I was looking at both. Any suggestions or knowledge would be great, thx
Posted By: BSB67

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 01:04 AM

I think that the 470E will be plenty good enough for your application, IMO.

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 01:26 AM

thx for the reply, have you used this balancer before?
Posted By: steve660

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 01:42 AM

I,ve used Fluidamper #720311 and had no problem with pulley alignment. This was on a 9 sec stroker engine and have had no problems with it. It is pricey but its another option.
Posted By: D-50

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 01:46 AM

Do not buy the Summit brand bracket racer balancer. I tried one and it spun without much run time on it.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 02:56 AM

Yes. It is on my Charger.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 03:08 AM

Had a TCI Rattler on my RB 498 forever. Can't say as to whether pulley alignment would be an issue as I only had a low mount alternator bracket on it.
Posted By: 383man

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 04:06 AM

I use this Pro/Sport balancer on my 63 and a few other engines. They are made in Austrailia and it has worked flawless on my 63. And the stock pulleys all line up normal. Ron

http://www.manciniracing.com/prosport1.html

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 06:23 AM

thx for all the replies, i'm going with the aluminum ATI
Posted By: AndyF

Re: balancer selection help please - 04/13/15 09:42 PM

The short pulley from Doty will work with at least one of the ATI dampers.

ATI could sell more dampers if they sold a matching pulley. I've told them that a couple of times but they choose not to listen to me. Making custom pullies wouldn't be that hard of a job for ATI, they have the CNC equipment and the CAD data so all they have to do is program the machine and push the button.
© 2024 Moparts Forums