Moparts

ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get?

Posted By: chrisnben

ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/13/15 03:18 PM

drag race car only, 496 RB, solid cam .650 lift-

Buddy of mine has a pair of nice fully ported 906's w/ 2.14 1.81 valves, milled to 84cc, dual springs, etc. He wants to trade them for a pair of stock aluminum Stealth heads. There is no option for porting these this year, plus having to change the springs, retainers, locks.

I'm trying to convince him to stay with the 906's for this race season & then buy much better heads next year (such as the new Trickflow race version, Indy's, etc.) then sell the 906's.

I think he'd be going backwards by using the Stealth heads "as-is". I don't think the weight savings outweighs the HP gains of the ported heads. Opinions ???
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/13/15 03:30 PM

Not the same comparison that you have,but my car did pick up almost 2 tenths going from pocket ported 452's to OOTB Stealths.I'm sure it went faster because of the compression increase due to the chamber on the Stealth's being smaller.

But I agree that your friend should wait and get a set of Sidewinders,Trick Flows or Indy EZ's. Had I known any of the heads mentioned would have been coming out when I bought my Stealths(and the Stealth's are good for what I needed at the time)I would have waited.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/13/15 03:31 PM

I have stealth heads from the first batch. No problems. BUT today Iagree with you and say wait. Alot of new heads are coming out. Wait for them to shake out then buy.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/13/15 03:59 PM

Wait, save money, then buy bigger/better heads.

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/13/15 04:19 PM

exactly! I remember I used to run 10.80s in the 'ol BADFISH w/ ported 906's on a .030 440, full interior '72 Cuda 3500#

His car is a Lexan windowed '72 Chally, basically same set-up, but gutted to 3000#. Heck, he should be knocking 10.50 with the 496!

Attached picture 8458622-badfish001.jpg
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/13/15 10:13 PM

I'm really curious to see how this pans out. I'm ready to paint and install a fresh 496 with CNC Stealths. It's a duplicate of the motor that came out with the exception of the bigger cubes and a switch from a nice set of 452's with 2.14/1.81 to the Stealths. I hope to be on the road when the salt washes away. Can't wait for spring!

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/14/15 01:54 AM

Quote:

I'm really curious to see how this pans out. I'm ready to paint and install a fresh 496 with CNC Stealths. It's a duplicate of the motor that came out with the exception of the bigger cubes and a switch from a nice set of 452's with 2.14/1.81 to the Stealths. I hope to be on the road when the salt washes away. Can't wait for spring!

Yes, but the these Stealths are NOT ported, big difference. Yours should pick up a few 10ths over the iron heads then. You might need more carb too- usually around an 850-950cfm (or larger) for a 500"er.
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/14/15 03:30 AM

Has anybody run these "fully ported" 906 heads on the same flowbench as the OOTB Stealth heads? Seems like an awful lot of conjecture going on here. I've seen "fully ported" 906 heads that flow 30 cfm less than a good (280 cfm) OOTB Stealth and ones that flow 60 cfm more than a good OOTB Stealth. My dad can always beat up your dad until we get them in the same ring with the gloves on.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/14/15 04:29 AM

Quote:

Has anybody run these "fully ported" 906 heads on the same flowbench as the OOTB Stealth heads? Seems like an awful lot of conjecture going on here. I've seen "fully ported" 906 heads that flow 30 cfm less than a good (280 cfm) OOTB Stealth and ones that flow 60 cfm more than a good OOTB Stealth. My dad can always beat up your dad until we get them in the same ring with the gloves on.

5 different sets of Stealth heads on my bench and I check calibration before every head I test and every set was 267cfm or less. Good for the money yes BUT.!!!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/14/15 04:36 AM

Quote:

Has anybody run these "fully ported" 906 heads on the same flowbench as the OOTB Stealth heads? Seems like an awful lot of conjecture going on here. I've seen "fully ported" 906 heads that flow 30 cfm less than a good (280 cfm) OOTB Stealth and ones that flow 60 cfm more than a good OOTB Stealth.

I've done the A,B,A testing on the big valve ported 906 heads compared to a set of OOTB Eddy RPMs, the Eddy heads went faster in my Duster The ported big valve 906 flowed 266 CFM@ .600, th Eddy RPMs flowed 287 on the same bench by the same tech. three months later, not 296 CFM as advertised The newer Stleath castings are suppose to be as good or maybe a tiny bit better now than the originals Eddy RPMs where Tell your friend to save his money for a set of new M.W.size port heads and intake
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: ported 906 VS Stealth head OOTB which would U get? - 03/14/15 07:09 AM

I think it all depends on what his ultimate goals are. IF he wants to go all out as fast as possible, then wait and buy a real race head. If he wants to stay 10.0 or slower, and not mess with all of the NHRA safety issues that come with going faster than that. Then the Stealth heads might be exactly what works best within those parameters.
© 2024 Moparts Forums