Moparts

Gen 3 max effort hp?

Posted By: gregsdart

Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/07/15 01:46 PM

OK, this is a fun post for those guys stuck inside, and insomniacs like me. If you were to tackle a stroker Gen 3 motor for high hp brackets, what do you think it would make for power? Lets say we go with 426 cubes, 14.5 + compression, best available valvetrain, custom tunnelram, dual Dominators or Termintors with alky, (your choice),vacuum pump, the usual stuff for close to the best that can be built. I am assuming a large bore aluminum Mopar block, or at least a 4.090 bore. Opinions?
Posted By: MattW

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/07/15 07:28 PM

Aluminum block large bore 3.79 stroke Thitek heads.
Spine the thing to 9000 rpm and I believe 1000 hp will be obtainable.
Dave Barton has gone 148 in his 3300 lbs challenger which is 888.88 hp

Matt
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/07/15 07:52 PM

Quote:

OK, this is a fun post for those guys stuck inside, and insomniacs like me. If you were to tackle a stroker Gen 3 motor for high hp brackets, what do you think it would make for power? Lets say we go with 426 cubes, 14.5 + compression, best available valvetrain, custom tunnelram, dual Dominators or Termintors with alky, (your choice),vacuum pump, the usual stuff for close to the best that can be built. I am assuming a large bore aluminum Mopar block, or at least a 4.090 bore. Opinions?

And which pieces will live at that hp level? I'm contemplating the switch from BB to gen 3 and checking CL for core engines. Stock block ok? Which core engines to avoid, if any?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/07/15 09:51 PM

Stock blocks are fine N/A aspirated. I know Bartons tach hit 88-8900 in one of his in car videos. Im guessing he has Jesel keyway lifters and rockers. That is probably $5000 alone. But if the engine peaks in the 7000 rpm range, stock rockers and lifters have proven to live just fine.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 04:17 PM

Quote:

Stock blocks are fine N/A aspirated. I know Bartons tach hit 88-8900 in one of his in car videos. Im guessing he has Jesel keyway lifters and rockers. That is probably $5000 alone. But if the engine peaks in the 7000 rpm range, stock rockers and lifters have proven to live just fine.

I've heard differently about the rockers. HS is what I've heard he runs
Be nice to know what he runs.
Matt
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 04:52 PM

Barton worked with T&D for his gen II rocker system. They may have used HS until T&D came out with theirs.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 07:42 PM

Digby's Dart or the Goss Challenger are just two examples of late model Hemi getting it done.

This site will never be a Gen 3 tech hot bed. You need to move to other sites with a younger group of guys. This place Is stuck in the past.

Challengertalk.com is one.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 07:53 PM

I agree with Matt, Max effort, money no object, dropping a blank cheque off at RBRE and telling him to go nuts I think you could get 1000 hp, but it would be very high strung. What do you guys think the max HP for a low maintenance Gen III would be? I guess it's dependant on RPM and not HP, so really what's the max RPM a Gen III could live at without having to replace valve springs on a regular basis, 7500 ish?
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 08:16 PM

Barton is using stock gutted lifters and Harland Sharp rockers.

He is not a fan at all of the T&D or jesel stuff
Posted By: GTS340

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 09:43 PM

Quote:

Digby's Dart or the Goss Challenger are just two examples of late model Hemi getting it done.

This site will never be a Gen 3 tech hot bed. You need to move to other sites with a younger group of guys. This place Is stuck in the past.

Digby give up on the predator headed engine??
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. I forgot he's predator heads. Sorry!
The Goss Challenger might not be either. I'm getting old

Posted By: Cuda367

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/08/15 11:41 PM

I contacted Barton last week about buying Harland Sharpe rocker for my build. He gave a very long reply. The Harland Sharpe rocker he uses are done to his specs or design. He informed me that it takes a lot of machining to get them on. Offered to do my heads for them at one thousand dollars, or would tell me how to do it. Told me the T&D required way less work and did not say anything about not recommending them. Of Course I do not know what he does to alter them from production to meet his requirements and have never had a set of production to try on a head. Other people seem to be running them and not talking about having to do mods.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/09/15 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. I forgot he's predator heads. Sorry!
The Goss Challenger might not be either. I'm getting old

Goss Challenger is G3 BES power
Posted By: knyech1

Re: Gen 3 max effort hp? - 03/09/15 03:14 AM

Quote:

And which pieces will live at that hp level? I'm contemplating the switch from BB to gen 3 and checking CL for core engines. Stock block ok? Which core engines to avoid, if any?

5.7 and 6.1 blocks have thin cylinder walls. Have seen them crack at as "little" as 750hp. Most guys want to throw a block away if they have to bore it any more than .020". The LX guys really spend A LOT of time and money tuning them to perfection to get them to hold up under higher hp. A 6.4 block is the most durable of the three. Getting your hands on one is tough right now though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums