Moparts

600 cubic inch small block Chevy

Posted By: pittsburghracer

600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 05:19 PM

I'm a diehard Mopar guy and I don't ever see that changing but this is one pretty piece.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/cfe-develops-600-cubic-inch-small-block-engine/
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 05:36 PM

Let me be the first to say on this forum that it's not a smallblock.

4.6 bore spacing is greater than a Firepower Hemi, just slightly less than Olds or Pontiac motors. The stock chevy bigblock deck is 9.800. 9.5 is ford 351W territory, so that's more like it, but a 10.2" deck engine with 4.6 bore spacing is really close to a Buick 455.

Yup, the terms smallblock and bigblock etc are not formally defined so anything goes, but I think this is stretching the definition past where I'm comfortable.

I'd also say that any #$23,000 engine SHOULD be impressive.

R.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 06:36 PM

Back in 2007 or so, there was a grudge car from either NJ or NY that had a motor that they claimed was a small block. It was a big Sonny's motor, but definitely not a typical Sonny's big block. It was in the black "022" Camaro of Deuce Staley w/ Harry O driving...those involved w/ grudge racing will know the car.
No idea how big it was, but it was a monster if it was really considered a small block. He got his butt cut by a local boy down here the night I saw it.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 07:31 PM

Yup, it's a small block... except for the block.

SB/BB has no real meaning when both the bore pitch and deck height are invented.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 07:51 PM

Quote:

Yup, it's a small block... except for the block.

SB/BB has no real meaning when both the bore pitch and deck height are invented.

why is it even an issue? It's not a factory block. Wouldn't be easier just to rate engines/classes by cubic inches? So a guy drives up...I mean pulls his car off the trailer with that thing in it and beats a guy w/ a 512 cubic inch factory BB and he can say I just beat up on a Big Block?
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 08:11 PM

No, it's a small block. It was stated that "you can even bolt a stock small block water pump to it"...so there you go!
Posted By: MattW

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 08:23 PM

Need to do this with the G3 platform.
Big block small doesn't matter.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 08:39 PM

I love the development thats going on. No matter if its a bow tie, blue oval or cute little red ribbons, it's all good. The LS is hot right now, they talk about the coyote, but I still think the Gen III hemi will take off. Especially after the last engine masters. And no thats not a small block, it's a 600ci custom engine.
Posted By: Harley

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 08:56 PM

Quote:

Back in 2007 or so, there was a grudge car from either NJ or NY that had a motor that they claimed was a small block. It was a big Sonny's motor, but definitely not a typical Sonny's big block. It was in the black "022" Camaro of Deuce Staley w/ Harry O driving...those involved w/ grudge racing will know the car.
No idea how big it was, but it was a monster if it was really considered a small block. He got his butt cut by a local boy down here the night I saw it.

The car was called the legend killer. There was nothing small about the motor.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/04/15 11:48 PM

The CFE block retains the standard Chevy bellhousing pattern and 4-bolt steel main caps (stock 400 journal size); plus the familiar horse-collar timing-cover boss/water jacket holes on the front appears similar to the standard small-block. Other features following tradition include standard Chevy engine-mount locations, available distributor accommodation and oil-pan rail dimensions similar to the famed Rocket block, which was an Oldsmobile version of the SBC used in drag racing and provided wider oil pans for stroker clearance and also a raised cam location.

“You can even bolt a regular Chevy water pump to this block,” says Gadette.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 12:26 AM

Quote:

Let me be the first to say on this forum that it's not a smallblock.

4.6 bore spacing is greater than a Firepower Hemi, just slightly less than Olds or Pontiac motors. The stock chevy bigblock deck is 9.800. 9.5 is ford 351W territory, so that's more like it, but a 10.2" deck engine with 4.6 bore spacing is really close to a Buick 455.

Yup, the terms smallblock and bigblock etc are not formally defined so anything goes, but I think this is stretching the definition past where I'm comfortable.

I'd also say that any #$23,000 engine SHOULD be impressive.

R.

Well with blocks today capable of 1000+ CI, It sure seems on the small side to me....LOL

At least they did state: "within the somewhat traditional confines of the 58-year-old SBC platform."

Rickster
Posted By: dvw

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 12:39 AM

If a Mopar big block can't make adequate power with 4.800" bore centers at 600" why would this motor make power at 4.600"?????????????????????
Doug
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 01:23 AM

Cause it's not a Chevy lol! Seriously I was wondering the same thing
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 01:52 AM

Quote:

If a Mopar big block can't make adequate power with 4.800" bore centers at 600" why would this motor make power at 4.600"?????????????????????
Doug

What's "adequate" power. This thing will go to a 4.500 bore. In the "real world", bore for bore, stroke for stroke, assuming heads equal, although the SBX head is a bad biotch, this and a similar constructed Mopar big block SHOULD make about the same power. But here is the kicker, THIS one, because of the "foundation" of the block, gets to run at a smallblock weight break, in a class based on that criteria. Now you can complain all you want, that it is NOT a real smallblock, but according to rules makers it is, because of what it was BASED from.

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

What's "adequate" power. This thing will go to a 4.500 bore. In the "real world", bore for bore, stroke for stroke, assuming heads equal, although the SBX head is a bad biotch, this and a similar constructed Mopar big block SHOULD make about the same power. But here is the kicker, THIS one, because of the "foundation" of the block, gets to run at a smallblock weight break, in a class based on that criteria. Now you can complain all you want, that it is NOT a real smallblock, but according to rules makers it is, because of what it was BASED from.

OK nice head. Why can this motor go 4.500" at 4.600" bore C/L? Assuming proper cylinder wall and deck thickness, could you go 4.700" on a 4.800"? Can a KB go 4.700" on standard bore C/L? Am I missing something? Obviously a very thin head gasket area between the cylinders.
Doug
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 03:22 AM

All we have to do is adapt a 340 water pump to a 426 hemi and it is a SB, quick someone get out their CNC
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 03:26 AM

Quote:

All we have to do is adapt a 340 water pump to a 426 hemi and it is a SB, quick someone get out their CNC

That won't help. Most of the 426 Hemi's I see are 9-10 second DOGS. LOL
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The car was called the legend killer. There was nothing small about the motor.

I remember Crunch always trying to set up races with that car on SBP.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 04:17 AM

I really don't see why it matter if its small or big ..its a bad mother either way..mopar is never going to step up with anything close ...
Posted By: STEFF

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 01:27 PM

Quote:

I really don't see why it matter if its small or big ..its a bad mother either way..mopar is never going to step up with anything close ...

Chevy/GM didn't step up either. CFE did. There's nothing stopping anyone from developing something similar for a Mopar.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 03:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chevy/GM didn't step up either. CFE did. There's nothing stopping anyone from developing something similar for a Mopar.

Or putting holes in the valve cover and calling it a Hemi.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 08:14 PM

As Chrysler has trademarked the word "hemi", you can't cut holes in a valve cover and call it a hemi unless you're the copyright holder. That's for people who would want to build and sell a version commercially.

R.

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

OK nice head. Why can this motor go 4.500" at 4.600" bore C/L? Assuming proper cylinder wall and deck thickness, could you go 4.700" on a 4.800"? Can a KB go 4.700" on standard bore C/L? Am I missing something? Obviously a very thin head gasket area between the cylinders.
Doug

I don't know............all I did was relay what was stated in the article. I don't think about things that hard, that don't effect me. I don't care if anybody wants to call this a small block, a medium block or a big block. What damn difference does it make. The point is, it is very cool. Most Mopar guys are SO freaking defensive, to step up and "defend" the honor of the brand, that they ignore the obvious. And that is your BRAND deserted you. We as Mopar people don't have squat as compared to other brands and never will.

The Gen III Hemi is the ONLY place we even approach the competitive level of the competition, that being the LS........but it won't be long before we are also light years behind there as well. Cool LS parts are released every day..............the Gen III...........basically squat..........SO, same story, different verse.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/05/15 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So when do you plan to have the first batch ready, and what will they cost?
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 01:27 AM

Blah, it's all about the rules. Weight break this, weight penalty that. It's all arbitrary crap trying to keep things "even". It's garbage, but it's what is.

It's all shenanigans to put maximum #'s of paying butts in the seats buying stuff from the vendors and concession stands. S/F....Ken M

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Doug

I don't know............all I did was relay what was stated in the article. I don't think about things that hard, that don't effect me. I don't care if anybody wants to call this a small block, a medium block or a big block. What damn difference does it make. The point is, it is very cool. Most Mopar guys are SO freaking defensive, to step up and "defend" the honor of the brand, that they ignore the obvious. And that is your BRAND deserted you. We as Mopar people don't have squat as compared to other brands and never will.

The Gen III Hemi is the ONLY place we even approach the competitive level of the competition, that being the LS........but it won't be long before we are also light years behind there as well. Cool LS parts are released every day..............the Gen III...........basically squat..........SO, same story, different verse.

No just curious. As is well known bore size limits the valve size, especially on an inline head. The funny thing is the LS bores aren't all that big.
Doug
Posted By: STEFF

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 03:18 AM

Quote:

So when do you plan to have the first batch ready, and what will they cost?

I have no interest in doing it. Was just making a point.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 05:17 AM

This^^^^^^.

When I finally decide to rob a Brinks truck, there will be a Sonny's HEMI in my next car and I'll call it what !!! I !!! want.

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 07:19 AM

die hard mopar guys talk about other brands and there own brand so it really don't matter what it is...most find something to nick pick about everything except there own stuff...would be n ice of we had more to pick from ......most the stuff we still have you can find in a old 1997 mag. only difference is the price now days...

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 07:37 AM

Quote:

die hard mopar guys talk about other brands and there own brand so it really don't matter what it is...most find something to nick pick about everything except there own stuff...would be n ice of we had more to pick from ......most the stuff we still have you can find in a old 1997 mag. only difference is the price now days...

1977.......... There.......fixed it for you......LOL!!!

Re: 600 cubic inch small block Chevy - 03/06/15 07:42 AM

thanks monte its sad but true...I looked at a 634 aluminum motor last weekend with 4 kits and 2 1050 pro system carbs on it bad to the bone olds that's being updated to struts...
© 2024 Moparts Forums