Moparts

Block sleeving? Is it a big deal?

Posted By: cdp

Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 06:17 PM

I have a 71-Hemi block that has been bored .060 and has been sitting for years. It does have one sleeve in it.

I'm wondering if I should have all the bores sleeved back to standard or if they are good, hone it and go on? This will be for a stock type rebuild.

What are the costs in sleeving?
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 06:33 PM

about $80-$100 a cylinder
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 06:35 PM

http://www.larryspower.com/engine/DartonSleeves.html

Larry's auto machine does sleeving. This is the machine shop I use
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 06:52 PM

I would get it sonic tested first. If they are thick enough and in good shape I would hone it and go. Second choice would be to bore it .070 over if the walls are thick enough. Third choice would be to sleeve everything. I don't like the idea of sleeving everything because it's such a radical amount of material you're cutting out and replacing but guys have done it with okay results.

Sheldon
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 06:57 PM

Most likely you can find another block for the price
of sleeving all of them.... unless its a numbers
matching block you are trying to save
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 06:57 PM

The place I used to work had a Slant block sleeved on all 6 and charged the customer $800 for it. If they would have asked, I could have given them a good block for $50.

I have no issues with sleeving a rare block like a Hemi, but something common I would not do it.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 07:03 PM

The Sleeves will probably make the block stronger or as strong as new factory unit. But with all the added costs, You might be better off picking up a new block, but you probably already knew this.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/11/09 07:32 PM

Nothing wrong w/ a sleeve if done by a competent machine shop. As said before, it usualy costs around $100 per cylinder.

If your block is good to go as is, then run it at .060" over for now. You can always sleeve it later.

With what hemi blocks are going for now, I doubt very seriously you could find another block in better condition selling for less than it would cost you to sleeve all 8 cylinders on your current block. Another block will probably cost you atleast twice what you'd have in sleeving all 8 holes in your current block. CHIP
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/12/09 02:18 AM

The 1971 blocks are the hardest ones to find, I would E bay it and use that money to buy a new 4.5 bore World block I have built several street Hemi motors that where bored to 4.32 and had custom pistons made for that bore size Way cheaper than having the block sleeved and buying new stndard bore pistons
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Block sleeving? Is it a big deal? - 01/12/09 10:35 PM

I got one(+.070)sitting here now, thats the combo I used to run in my last truck.

Attached picture 4943330-11.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums