Moparts

Deburring/polishing a block?

Posted By: rt66jim

Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 01:08 AM

Just wondering if it is worth the time and effort. My current 340 block has been polished in the lifter area and also in the lower crank case. Looks nice but would you do it. The reason I ask is an R3 block is sitting in my garage floor. Jim
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 01:12 AM

I just knock off the big stuff with a die grinder..
then paint the inside(usually just paint the valley)..
but thats just me
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 01:55 AM

the grinding and polishing I think is better because the paint retains heat.

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 02:20 AM

Quote:

the grinding and polishing I think is better because the paint retains heat.

R-blocks come painted in the valley
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 02:33 AM

Quote:

I just knock off the big stuff with a die grinder..
then paint the inside(usually just paint the valley)..
but thats just me

I do it that way also.

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 10:16 PM

Thank you for your input. Jim
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/23/15 10:22 PM

I'm in the middle of one right now Jim and will try to post some pictures later tonight. It started out as some simple clearancing for roller lifters and went from there. I personally hate 90 degree area's in a cast iron engine block in higher horsepower applications. Not a job I really like doing.

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/24/15 01:19 AM

Thanks John I will be watching for them. Jim

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 02:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks John I will be watching for them. Jim

Not done yet Jim But the block now has enough clearance for 5 pairs of 828-16 comp cams roller lifters. If I didn't have so many old style 360 blocks I would probably switch over to the magnum blocks as they probably require less grinding for roller lifters. On the bottom you will see some of the edges I don't like and how I have started to radius them. Time consuming work and not really necessary for most builds but what the heck its Winter. LOL

Posted By: ahy

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 02:46 AM

I had mine "shot rolled". After hot tank, the block is put in a drum full of shot and rolled. Cleans up burrs and minor casting issues and leaves surfaces clean. Worth every bit of the $75 it cost.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 04:04 AM

Quote:

I had mine "shot rolled". After hot tank, the block is put in a drum full of shot and rolled. Cleans up burrs and minor casting issues and leaves surfaces clean. Worth every bit of the $75 it cost.

Mine was done this way also, block looked like you pulled from the river. After a tumble it look like a smooth brand new engine block.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 04:19 PM

Quote:

Not done yet Jim But the block now has enough clearance for 5 pairs of 828-16 comp cams roller lifters. If I didn't have so many old style 360 blocks I would probably switch over to the magnum blocks as they probably require less grinding for roller lifters. On the bottom you will see some of the edges I don't like and how I have started to radius them. Time consuming work and not really necessary for most builds but what the heck its Winter. LOL

Hey John, what kind of grinder attachments are you using? I got one of those flex shaft grinders (Dumore) you suggested on the deburring thread I started. Looked at some 1/8" shanks carbide burr sets online. Any suggestions?

Got my own block back from the machine shop the other day, going to start smoothing edges before assembly.

Greg

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey John, what kind of grinder attachments are you using? I got one of those flex shaft grinders (Dumore) you suggested on the deburring thread I started. Looked at some 1/8" shanks carbide burr sets online. Any suggestions?

Got my own block back from the machine shop the other day, going to start smoothing edges before assembly.

Greg

I use the same stuff I port heads with.. my elec die
grinder(1/4" shank bit.. usually the tear drop) or
my 1/4" air die grinder.. same bits.. that way I can
lean on it a bit to do some eating and get it done
quickly... I do it mainly so I get the sharp edges
and help the oil return... once I get that done I
glue(JB Weld) in screen over the center and back wall
of my SBs.. just so parts cant get down there

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Greg

Like Mike said I use the same Foredom grinder that I use for porting heads. Tear (tree) shaped ones, round ball, and cylindrical. I always stick with the 1/4 inch shaft stuff and always with my foot peddle to keep the speed down. TO east to bend that 1/8 shaft stuff.

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 07:57 PM

Quote:

Like Mike said I use the same Foredom grinder that I use for porting heads. Tear (tree) shaped ones, round ball, and cylindrical. I always stick with the 1/4 inch shaft stuff and always with my foot peddle to keep the speed down. TO east to bend that 1/8 shaft stuff.

Thanks for the info. Not sure but I might have to get a new hand piece that can hold a 1/4" shank. I haven't really done anything with it yet, just took it out of the box after I got it off Ebay. Maybe it actually can use 1/4" stuff, not sure yet. I need a chuck and foot pedal for it too.
Posted By: Jonnyj00

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 08:15 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but what are you guys using to paint the lifter valley? I saw they make some expensive paint made just for that application and I don't mind spending the money if its necessary but if I can find something that works just as good for less that's always good lol.

Thanks

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 08:29 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hijack the thread but what are you guys using to paint the lifter valley? I saw they make some expensive paint made just for that application and I don't mind spending the money if its necessary but if I can find something that works just as good for less that's always good lol.

Thanks

Are you referring to Glyptal?

See here.
Glyptal

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 08:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I don't paint the inside of mine but here's a recent post on the subject.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...amp;Search=true

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/25/15 11:16 PM

John. thanks for the pics. Looks like I need to get busy with the grinder. Jim

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/26/15 12:29 AM

Quote:

John. thanks for the pics. Looks like I need to get busy with the grinder. Jim

Don't have to go crazy.

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/26/15 01:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I use Rustoleum (sp).. it holds up well.. never had
it lift off

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/26/15 01:46 AM

Yes I was referring to glyptal as the expensive choice.

Mr P. when you say rustoleum are you talking about the standard red oxide primer or something else rustoleum makes?

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/26/15 01:56 AM

Quote:

Yes I was referring to glyptal as the expensive choice.

Mr P. when you say rustoleum are you talking about the standard red oxide primer or something else rustoleum makes?

I use the black rustoleum.. its just a color

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/26/15 02:16 AM

Got ya thanks

what about high temp engine enamel?

Re: Deburring/polishing a block? - 02/26/15 02:22 AM

Quote:

Got ya thanks

what about high temp engine enamel?

So far I havent needed any high temp... its only
250* in the engine... it can heat soak up a bit more