Moparts

Car hoist?????

Posted By: MattW

Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 02:37 PM

I hope this doesn't get moved cuz I don't really venture anywhere else.
What R U guys using for a Car hoist?
Make, Model, Two or four?
I'm in the market, been doing research, and would like opinions on them.
Thx Matt
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 03:27 PM

With a two post lift most don't factor in the additional cost to making sure there is enough concrete to support the load. Most garages were not poured that thick. just throwing that out there...

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 03:34 PM

Quote:

With a two post lift most don't factor in the additional cost to making sure there is enough concrete to support the load. Most garages were not poured that thick. just throwing that out there...

Thx but building new garage. Should of mentioned that.
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 03:42 PM

I have a Bend-Pak 10,000 lb Asymmetric 2 post. I have used it for 10 years with no issues. It has a car or truck on it 90% of the time and has no problem lifting my Dually crew cab. As far as concrete I poured the shop floor with the intention of installing a lift.

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 03:52 PM

Quote:

I have a Bend-Pak 10,000 lb Asymmetric 2 post. I have used it for 10 years with no issues. It has a car or truck on it 90% of the time and has no problem lifting my Dually crew cab. As far as concrete I poured the shop floor with the intention of installing a lift.

Do you like the Asymmetric over the symmetric?
Heard Asymmetric was more geared to cars?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 04:39 PM

I have a 2 post 10K pounds.. I'm gonna sell it in a
month or so and get a new lift
Posted By: cl440

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 04:44 PM

As soon as funds allow I think I may purchase this lift from Greg Smith Equipment

Attached picture 8435413-Capture2.JPG
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 05:09 PM

I have the Atlas 9000# 2 post from Greg smith. It was easy to install and has worked great for my cars and dually.

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 05:14 PM

Quote:

As soon as funds allow I think I may purchase this lift from Greg Smith Equipment

This is the style I'm going with next... I have the
floor plate now and my cars are LOW so as soon as the
front tires drop off the other side my pipes bang into
the plate... I have wood on the floor now but I dont
like it
Posted By: BuckeyeBrawler

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 09:10 PM

I just got an at Atlas PV10P from Greg Smith Equipment, big enough lift my crew cab dually but also great for the cars. My wife has been telling me to get one for years, guess I should have listened. At last no more wrenching on my back
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 10:23 PM

I bought a cheaper imported 7000 lb drive on lift like used at mufflers shops, a freind had bought a big batch of them(30+) to get a deal on them for his car barn that he stores a bunch of his and freinds car in so they could stack them under the lifts with one on the lift during the winter. The one I bought had set outside for at least one winter and got snowed on and frozen, the down lever seal developed a leak about the third time I used it If I was going to buy another one it would be a BendPak brand as they are now offering a cheaper hobby line for the guys like me that don't use it everyday comercially like Bend Paks where designed for originally
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you like the Asymmetric over the symmetric?
Heard Asymmetric was more geared to cars?

Yes, makes it easier to get in and out of the vehicle on the lift.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 10:53 PM

I just bought and installed an Ammco 9000# two post lift, wish I'd done it years ago.

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 11:16 PM

Quote:

I just bought and installed an Ammco 9000# two post lift, wish I'd done it years ago.

Looking at the two post. Easier to work on vehicle.
Plus I'm sorta leaning towards the Bendpak.
Now for a garage that is 24" wide and 36" deep, where is the best place to put it?
I'm thinking as far back as possible to either side keeping enough room to work around it.
Thanks for the input
Matt

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 11:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now for a garage that is 24" wide and 36" deep, where is the best place to put it?
I'm thinking as far back as possible to either side keeping enough room to work around it.
Thanks for the input
Matt

I mounted mine straight in from the big door, towards
the back... I have about 3' past the end of my truck
on the hoist... on the right side is my machine shop
and office area.. left of the hoist has my 38 in it
and cabinets

Attached picture 8435790-Trim_out012.jpg
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/20/15 11:50 PM

I have a Callanger CL10 series asymmetrical lift. Love it. Stay away from the cheap Chines lifts, the one that sell for less than $2K.

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 12:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the input
Matt

and cabinets

So Mike, I take it that your shop is 24x36?
My door will be at the front like yours but I want a smaller door at the back left for riding lawn mover snow blower ect...
With the hoist centered, do you have enough room around it?
Matt
Posted By: TrxR

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 12:33 AM

Is there a reason none of you like a 4 post?

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the input
Matt

and cabinets

My door will be at the front like yours but I want a smaller door at the back left for riding lawn mover snow blower ect...
Matt

Mine is 32' deep and 36' wide.. yes I can get around
it easy..the right 1/3 of the building is my machine
shop and office.. the left 1/3 is car storage and
cabinets and my big buffer and blast cabinet..
also my welding bench is on the machine shop side
(thats 40"x 7')... you NEVER have enough room
Also.. what will you do for heat... I highly recommend
the floor heat... works great and its cheap to run

Attached picture 8435833-BoilerHeat.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 01:35 AM

Quote:

Stay away from the cheap Chines lifts, the one that sell for less than $2K.

This is Canada ... even the cheap lifts are more than $2k !!!

4-post lifts are for storage - useless for working on cars. How would you do a brake job on a 4-post lift ????
Posted By: TrxR

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 01:52 AM

Most of the 4 posts in the shops around here also have sliding air lifts on them for doing brake jobs and such.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 02:15 AM

Picture of mine.

Attached picture 8435938-image.jpg
Posted By: Joes66dart

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 02:27 AM

We started out with 2 post and ended up getting a 4 post also 90% of the work happens on the 2 post but when it comes to pulling trannys and scaling the car or adjusting the 4 link the 4 post makes it nice

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the input
Matt

and cabinets

Matt

Mine is 32' deep and 36' wide.. yes I can get around
it easy..the right 1/3 of the building is my machine
shop and office.. the left 1/3 is car storage and
cabinets and my big buffer and blast cabinet..
also my welding bench is on the machine shop side
(thats 40"x 7')... you NEVER have enough room
Also.. what will you do for heat... I highly recommend
the floor heat... works great and its cheap to run

24x36 will be the limit if the minor variance gets approved.
Now I'm thinking I'll have to stuff it to a corner to get it out of the way and go with Asymmetric to move it more out of the way.
Will be going radiant.
NG or propane?

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 03:04 AM

Now I'm thinking I'll have to stuff it to a corner to get it out of the way and go with Asymmetric to move it more out of the way.
Will be going radiant.
NG or propane?

Mine is NG.. thank GOD we have NG here... I looked at
a house with a BIG shop/garage but it was propane
and I passed
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 04:37 AM

"4-post lifts are for storage - useless for working on cars. How would you do a brake job on a 4-post lift ???? "

NOT,,,,,,,,
I have the hydraulic jack which makes brake and suspension work easy,,,,,10 seconds and the front end is is off the ramps and easy to work on.
I have the bendpak 4 post 9 K pound lift and have no regrets.
Jack is low profile and even clears the 10 qt Charlie's oil pan on the race car

Posted By: plycuda

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 05:33 AM

I look at it the other way. my 4 post makes it easy to do anything. I jack it up with the air jack and I have a table under it when I'm doing the brakes. then when I want to work on my race car it's sitting at ride height and I can check and do anything. check 4 Link, string line it. mine is a bendpak 14K.I got that one because it's wide so my 1 ton dually can drive on easy. it's probably a little more money with the jack but I like the piece of mind to that I don't worry about anything happening that it could fall off.

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 05:45 AM

Quote:

I look at it the other way. my 4 post makes it easy to do anything. I jack it up with the air jack and I have a table under it when I'm doing the brakes. then when I want to work on my race car it's sitting at ride height and I can check and do anything. check 4 Link, string line it. mine is a bendpak 14K.I got that one because it's wide so my 1 ton dually can drive on easy. it's probably a little more money with the jack but I like the piece of mind to that I don't worry about anything happening that it could fall off.

They both have their place and I'm sure the OP will
buy what he wants.... but I look at what shops have
that work on cars... thats a 2 post... unlike the one
I have with the floor plate.. I have a wooden ramp
to do a trans.. if I had a open bottom one it would
be great... even on the one I have now I roll my
cart under it to work from... when I want the axle
up in place I have a set of wood blocks 2' high..
but I have found that 95% of the work I do I need
the axle hanging
Posted By: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 05:56 AM

Look for ALI certification on lifts.
If you are lifting pickups get the right adapters if you are going for a 2-post.
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 06:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They both have their place and I'm sure the OP will
buy what he wants.... but I look at what shops have
that work on cars... thats a 2 post... unlike the one
I have with the floor plate.. I have a wooden ramp
to do a trans.. if I had a open bottom one it would
be great... even on the one I have now I roll my
cart under it to work from... when I want the axle
up in place I have a set of wood blocks 2' high..
but I have found that 95% of the work I do I need
the axle hanging

well unlike most shops I don't do a few brake jobs a day. and I doubt they work on many if any race cars. so I guess it's what you would use it more for.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 07:21 AM

Quote:

Will be going radiant.
NG or propane?

It seems you and I are in the same boat, I'm planning a 24x36 build this year as well. I have an 11k John Beam hoist that I took out of my old shop, asymmetrical is the way to go for working on cars and light trucks. For a deal on a hoist get in touch with a tool dealer (Matco/Mac/Snap-on) and see what they have to offer. The tool manufactures have trade shows for the dealers this time of year and usually have a special on hoists. Where are you in Ontario Matt?

Steve

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will be going radiant.
NG or propane?

It seems you and I are in the same boat, I'm planning a 24x36 build this year as well. I have an 11k John Beam hoist that I took out of my old shop, asymmetrical is the way to go for working on cars and light trucks. For a deal on a hoist get in touch with a tool dealer (Matco/Mac/Snap-on) and see what they have to offer. The tool manufactures have trade shows for the dealers this time of year and usually have a special on hoists. Where are you in Ontario Matt?

Steve

Ottawa.
Not totally against the 4 post.
pro
Easier to get in and out of car.
Do not have to perminatly mount it to floor.
Movable.
only need 4" of concrete.
cons
take up more room
price
limited access to suspension.
Which way to go?
Posted By: Budsworth

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will be going radiant.
NG or propane?

Steve

I have a 10000lbs hoist that is asymmetrical and love it. I purchased mine in Oakville Ontario. Unless you re using the hoist every day like a commercial shop, then you don't need a "stickered" hoist, they are 2 to 3 times more money. I paid under 3k for mine, I ALSO went over every shiv and cable, I also spent the time to install it dead nuts level. Worth every cent and didn't cost me 6k. I used the savings for "Spray foam" insulation. Below is a link, don't be fooled these guys were great to deal with and they have every part in stock. Oh and if you want to pay the extra money, they sell the "Top of Line" Brands as well. Also they have ALL their hoists set up for you to view. We purchased 3 hoists and got a big discount, myself and two friends. Set up was 4hrs and 4 beers

http://www.liftsuperstore.com/
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Car hoist????? - 02/21/15 06:45 PM

Quote:

Ottawa.
Not totally against the 4 post.
pro
Easier to get in and out of car.
Do not have to perminatly mount it to floor.
Movable.
only need 4" of concrete.
cons
take up more room
price
limited access to suspension.
Which way to go?

I work on cars every day, 2 post is way more versatile then a 4 post.

Steve
© 2024 Moparts Forums