Moparts

best way to cut lexan?

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:21 AM

Nothing fancy mostly straight cuts for our Chumpcar. Any specific blade or power tool recommended?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:23 AM

I tape and cut mine with a jig saw then use a sand disc on a grinder to smooth and shape.
Posted By: dvw

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:27 AM

Jigsaw works for me. Not to fast or it will melt. Make sure the bottom shoe of the saw has no burrs or it will cut through the protective paper. I apply tape to the bottom of the saw/ If you want to finish the edges pull the protective film back about a 1/8" so you can sand it with out getting the film in the sand paper, use 150 grit to finish.
Doug
This vent is Lexan

Attached picture 8431794-W37.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:29 AM

Body saw or jigsaw here. Then we sand the edges and roll them as well.

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:39 AM

Quote:

Jigsaw works for me. Not to fast or it will melt. Make sure the bottom shoe of the saw has no burrs or it will cut through the protective paper. I apply tape to the bottom of the saw/ If you want to finish the edges pull the protective film back about a 1/8" so you can sand it with out getting the film in the sand paper, use 150 grit to finish.
Doug
This vent is Lexan

that looks great. Any blade work best?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:39 AM

Straight cuts ... best done on a tablesaw. A decent "sharp" carbide blade works best. Skilsaw works if you don't have a tablesaw - support the material as close to the cut as possible. You will end up with beautiful edges that you only need to take the sharp edge off. Use a jigsaw only as a last resort to do curves - you may as well use a chainsaw, it will leave the same finish !!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 05:05 AM

I used a jig saw with a variable speed and set it to it's lowest speed. Use a course wood type blade as it will clear the chips better than a fine tooth and don't try to cut fast. Too much blade speed and trying to feed the cut too fast will both start to generate heat and start melting the lexan.

As stated though it will give a rough edge so cut slightly oversize and then sand to a clean finish.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 05:19 AM

Jigsaw.... sand the edge so its nice then warm with
a propane torch to re-clear the edge... just go lightly
with the torch... try it on a piece of scrap first
to get the feel
Posted By: charger410

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 02:43 PM

Jigsaw and sand. I used a blade made to cut plastic. Make sure you use scratch resistant Lexan and not GP general purpose.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 02:55 PM

In a pinch, router. Not easy to control, but can get you by.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 03:40 PM

Anyone have a good way of forming the lexan?

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 04:12 PM

Quote:

Its called heat.. just enough to make it move..it
takes a heating tray.. which is usually big(5'x12')
Posted By: cagebob1

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 04:47 PM

Would the Arizona sun do the same thing?

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 04:52 PM

Quote:

Would the Arizona sun do the same thing?

Maybe if its thin enough... I use to watch the guys
in the plastic shop at work form it but I forget the
temp they would heat it to.. it varied on the thickness

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lexan does not like heat. Lexan has a high moisture content which will form air bubbles when heated. When Lexan IS formed with heat it is slowly (hours !!) brought up to temperature to remove the moisture. Its then formed and allowed to cool.

Plexi is easily formed with heat, but that's not what you're using!

If you need to bend the lexan, it can be "cold" bent in a brake. Thinner material will easily go 180* and I've bent 1/2" material past 90*.

If by "forming" you mean curving it to fit a window opening, I'd suggest you just put it in place and fasten it down to take the curvature. Hopefully your material isn't too thick. A customer of mine has a chump car and they use 1/8" material.

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lexan does not like heat. Lexan has a high moisture content which will form air bubbles when heated. When Lexan IS formed with heat it is slowly (hours !!) brought up to temperature to remove the moisture. Its then formed and allowed to cool.

Plexi is easily formed with heat, but that's not what you're using!

If you need to bend the lexan, it can be "cold" bent in a brake. Thinner material will easily go 180* and I've bent 1/2" material past 90*.

If by "forming" you mean curving it to fit a window opening, I'd suggest you just put it in place and fasten it down to take the curvature. Hopefully your material isn't too thick. A customer of mine has a chump car and they use 1/8" material.

It did take them hours to heat it up.. then they
would place it and let it cool overnight.... I use
1/8" for the windshield and rear hatch glass... that
does form easy without any heat

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 05:15 PM

All I'm making is about 5" pf rear spoiler and "vent" windows. They don't have to be perfect If I have time I might make some sail panels as the trans am looks kinda silly w/o the rear hatch. Not much curves to make. I bought a sheet of 3/16 or maybe 1/4....

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 05:23 PM

Quote:

All I'm making is about 5" pf rear spoiler and "vent" windows. They don't have to be perfect If I have time I might make some sail panels as the trans am looks kinda silly w/o the rear hatch. Not much curves to make. I bought a sheet of 3/16 or maybe 1/4....

I made plastic bumpers for my Valiant and they turned
out very nice.. I vacuformed them... I mounted the
bumper up on a piece of 2x10 on posts.. heated the
plastic with a heat gun and propane torch.. when it
sagged down I tape the edges to the wood then I slowly
started heating and then turned on the vac pump..
the vac was applied via the back of the board through
a hole that the hose was in and taped off... a couple
hours later it was done and cooled it over night and
trimmed it
Posted By: AndyF

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 07:35 PM

A waterjet is the best way to cut Lexan

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 07:56 PM

Quote:

A waterjet is the best way to cut Lexan

LOL... I sure dont have one in my shop.... but I wish..
on long straight cuts I have sheared it in a shear
but it was just 1/8"

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 07:59 PM

Lots of places have waterjets these days so it isn't hard to find someone with one. You do need a CAD file to drive it but simple 2D CAD packages are available free on the internet.

I switched all of my "hot rodding" over to CAD years ago. I get better quality parts and I can quickly pull up a file from 10 years ago and have a duplicate built. I can also find hole centers quickly by just looking at the drawing. I keep a CAD station out in the shop next to the car so it is easy for me to look at parts and pull up the files.

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 08:02 PM

Quote:

Lots of places have waterjets these days so it isn't hard to find someone with one. You do need a CAD file to drive it but simple 2D CAD packages are available free on the internet.

I switched all of my "hot rodding" over to CAD years ago. I get better quality parts and I can quickly pull up a file from 10 years ago and have a duplicate built. I can also find hole centers quickly by just looking at the drawing. I keep a CAD station out in the shop next to the car so it is easy for me to look at parts and pull up the files.

Yeah I still use drawings/prints... I'm ok with CAD
but I dont have any programs

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/17/15 10:27 PM

Waterjet ... average cost - $60./hour.
Price of a saw blade - about $10. !!!

8 years in business selling plastic - have yet to need a waterjet !

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 01:57 AM

Quote:

Price of a saw blade - about $10. !!!

8 years in business selling plastic - have yet to need a waterjet !

this is for a $500 car guys....
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 02:07 AM

Quote:

Wow....that's cheap. Where is that?
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 02:08 AM

Quote:

Do you have your own waterjet? Or have a company do it for you?

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nowhere near you unfortunately.

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 03:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nowhere near you unfortunately.

MOST guys on here will use a jigsaw with a skip tooth
blade to get the job done... works quite well.. doesnt
burn or melt it and if you sand it then use a torch
to clean the edge it looks PERFECT like its never
been cut
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 03:48 AM

Now that waterjet would probably really work nice when I make head adapters for my flow bench. I make them out of 1/2 lexan and then have to cut the circles for cylinder sleeves.

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 05:03 AM

A waterjet is perfect for 1/2 plastic. Goes thru that stuff like a hot knife in butter.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: best way to cut lexan? - 02/18/15 08:12 AM

Buy a Bosch jig saw and you will never use anything else again. I have 3 and still have the one i bought in 76 for my business. The blades are what makes it great. I cut my 3/16 lexan, Tuffac i think it was called, had alot of silicone in it, made for aircraft windows, with that saw no problems.
© 2024 Moparts Forums